Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting tau recently
Old 07 Apr 2008, 10:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to §fallen§
Default Starting tau recently

Hi I am not new at 40k but I am new at new the last army I played was Sapce Wolves and am thinking about using commander Farsight (O' Shavah)
or commander shadowsun. What do you think?
Old 07 Apr 2008, 10:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Starting tau recently

Well, the general rule of the thumb about those special characters is that they are not for the faint-hearted and that they are not easy to use. Since you are new to the tau, I say it is best to start off wit a normal commander instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 10:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The sole problem with the two is they require at least 1500pt games to be fielded, so don't buy them first up.

They are both very good and unique commanders, and can lead to a very fun match. Maybe their only downside is lack of customization, difficulty involved and Shadowsun's hard to define roll. Sit back and provide LD to static or move forward and blast with Fusion?
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

I recommend you not to consider getting either of them until you get a proper 1500 point+ army.

And, you cannot emphasise how much the guys are right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Well, the general rule of the thumb about those special characters is that they are not for the fainthearted and that they are not easy to use. Since you are new to the tau, I say it is best to start off wit a normal commander instead.
No doubt, Farsight and Shadowsun are most definitely not for the faint hearted.
Farsight is a good fighter but his characteristics really turn your army (this be used to your advantage but it requires a lot of skill) and Shadowsun is outstandingly costly for her stats.

Tip: try to aim Shadowsun into a 'shooty' tactic. This will bring her BS5 into great use, to say the least, her WS4 isn't the best when your talking about a HQ option.
Tip: get Farsight into combat nice and fast, he is really good for an assault/mech Tau army. You can really optimise his effect on the battlefield by sending him with a unit of crisis battlesuits and maybe a few stealth suits.

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 10:28   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As people have mentioned before they both play very different to how a commander normally is used - O'Shovah really is the complete opposite of a normal Tau commander (and has the only power weapon in the entire army...) but with the new codex: Orcs I really think that the attempt to take advantage of his special rule regarding Orcs really can only seal your doom, considering that Orcs have gotten such a massive boost in combat. I would not recommend him at all, however considering that you have played space wolves before I guess that a face-to-face style is what you are used to. If you chose Tau to get something different I would certainly not take Farsight.

Commander Shadowsun is another matter. You pay an awful lot of points (more than I have ever spent on a Tau commander, even in the days when I tended to go for "Pimp-my-suit"...) yet her stats are lower to the stats of a normal commander. On the other hand you get something Tau cannot get in any other way: high LD for a considerable part of your army, which is well worthwhile, especially considering that if you play marines you are pretty much used to having that anyway. The other thing that makes her so attractive for me is that she can potentially blow two tanks in one turn, but generally I think that her job is to stay behind and guide her army, tempting your opponent to shoot at her and thusly wasting a lot of shots to her stealth field and the shield drones. I generally would not expect Shadowsun to make up for her points due to the low output of shots she has, yet if you use her right she can really make your day.
§PEEDFRE@K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 18:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to §fallen§

Ok since I have decided not to use Commander farsight I have made an armylist that will be used mostly against marines, that will be about 1500 points.

HQ 1: Shas'O-285 (includes Shas'vre)
-Fusion Blaster
-Plasma Rifle
-hardwired multi tracker
-hardwired target lock

2 Shas'vre that have the same thing( Shas'o body guards)
-missile pod
-plasma rifle
-targeting array
-hardwired multi tracker

1 Elites: 3 crisis suits that have same things-201
-missile pods
-plasma rifles
-targeting array

2 Elites: 3 crisis suits that all have the same things-201
-missile pods
-plasma rifles
-targetng array

3 Elites: 4 stealth suits-150
-all have targeting array

1 Troops: 12 man Firewarrior squad with devilfish-232
-photon grenades
-devilfish troop carrier
smart missle system

2 Troops: 12 man Firewarrior squad-120
-photon grenades

3 Troops: 15 man kroot squad-133
-1 shaper

1 Fast attack:8 Gundrones-86

2 Fast attack:8 Gundrones-86

3 Fast attack: 1 Piranha-60
-seeker missiles

1 Heavy support: 3 man broadside team-210

2 Heavy support: Hammerhea-160
-seeker missiles
-Railgun
Old 21 Apr 2008, 15:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's pretty good, but there are definitely a few things that need tweaking.

The most blatantly obvious is that with all of those seeker missiles, you have no way to launch them. They are not the same as the hunter-killer missiles you are used to. You have to use a marker light counter to fire them. Right now there are no marker lights in your list.

The elite suits having two guns and a target array is probably a bad choice. Without a multi-tracker, you can only fire one of them, and the other is points wasted. I'd probably have a squad of TL missile pods with TA, and a squad of TL Plasma with TA. Or two TL missile pods with TA. Their reliability goes through the roof and nothing is wasted.

Targeting arrays on stealths are iffy. For the cost, you could have another suit with 10pts leftover

For the cost of the shaper you could have an 18 man squad instead, he is ridiculously overpriced.

If you give the Devilfish SMS it (and also the hammerhead) needs a multi-tracker. The ability to fire on the move and get the benefits of a fast moving skimmer is a must.

Photon grenades are a matter of personal choice. I've never had an opportunity to use them.

I'd get the broadsides some ASS (no pun intended) and a team leader with HW target lock, HW drone controller and two shield drones. The ability to use a hard-point is too useful to pass up. Some also take a TA to ensure killy-ness.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees

The elite suits having two guns and a target array is probably a bad choice. Without a multi-tracker, you can only fire one of them, and the other is points wasted. I'd probably have a squad of TL missile pods with TA, and a squad of TL Plasma with TA. Or two TL missile pods with TA. Their reliability goes through the roof and nothing is wasted.
I have to disagree with you on this; I have used this configuration for good effect. I personally would rather have specific firepower hits reliably than an overwhelming firepower that hits on an iffy basis.

If you are playing marines its not like you are not going to use both, one to kill dreads, rhinos, scouts and the like; the other to kill infantry, i.e. marines and termies. There is no marker light in the list, and if there was one it would be used for the seekers. And the Tau doesn’t have the numbers to put out the shear firepower the IG does.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The problem is that that configuration is a waste of one gun per turn. The suits have two guns but no ability to shoot them both. I am not a big fan of the fireknife, but it is a much better configuration than this one.

The thing about fireknife is that you can use both on all of the targets you should be selecting, it just that depending on the target, one gun is the "damage leader". A PG can dent a dread or some skimmers. A MP can force saves on MEQ, TEQ etc. That way neither gun is "wasted", and you are getting something for your points spent.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 11:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Specialized suits are even better, two guns against their preferred target are much better than one, even with the extra against
a non-preferred.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote