Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

sky ray how do you use it and for what
Old 06 Apr 2008, 07:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default sky ray how do you use it and for what

I need help as I just got the sky ray, and I want to learn how to use it.
For The Greater of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 07:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: sky ray how do you use it and for what

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17751.0
See here. Tips and tricks and general tactics.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's one long article! Here's my opinion on the skyray (which I do use), which will be less detailed but a whole lot faster to read. Since it has similar stats to an ionhead, it's tempting to think of the skyray as an ionhead with higher strength guns but less staying power. While that's accurate, it's not the best way to use it. It's better to think of it as 2 very mobile, very tough, very accurate markerlights. Buy the multi-tracker and targeting array for it, of course.

I like to have a full squad of pathfinders light up a dangerous unit like a heavy weapon squad or expensive crisis team and expend at least half of the skyray's missiles in the first round. If you equip it with smart missiles instead of burst cannons you can hide the skyray from any return fire until its missile racks are empty without losing any firepower but the markerlights. Once the skyray is down to 2 or so missiles your opponent is likely to ignore it. If he does, you've got 2 markerlights that are probably not taking much fire, and if he does still try to shoot it down it's already done quite a bit of damage.

The skyray's strengths are a lot of punch at the beginning of the game and markerlight support at the end (when your pathfinders are likely dead).
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 09:20   #4 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

I know alot of people disagree with me on this but personally I find the Skyray to be the most useless thing the Tau have access to in a regular game.

However, if your playing apoc or your opponent is fielding flyers then the Skyray is invaluable. It's pretty much the only decent anti-air that the Tau have access to and it's ability to use indirect fire is a godsend. This is kind of fitting as it was originally introduced to the fluff as an AA platform, then moved to a support role as the model became more popular (due to the relative scarcity of flyers in your average 40k game). So yeah, the best thing to do with it is to sit it out of sight and use it to clip the wings of anything that would otherwise be a burden on your ground forces.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 09:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use it in tandem with pathfinders to destroy high priority targets in turn one and two. Wraithlords, Basilisks, Wave Serpents, Biovores...the list goes on.
After it unloads it seekers it provides some supporting fire from its twin burst cannons and markerlights.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

@Topic: If I were to use skyrays (which I don't - don't know why...), I'd try to get them behind the enemy, using area terrain and other LOS blocking features to stay unharmed, so that the SR can gat behind the enemy force. Then have the pathfinders light up a tank with weaker rear armour (say, a russ), and seeker it up the tailpipe.

@Korill: Someone somewhere mentioned that as the skyray appears to have so much space, perhaps it could be used as a pathfinder transport. I was wondering how that would affect your strategy... Beneficial or ridiculous?
Old 07 Apr 2008, 17:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
I know alot of people disagree with me on this but personally I find the Skyray to be the most useless thing the Tau have access to in a regular game.

However, if your playing apoc or your opponent is fielding flyers then the Skyray is invaluable. It's pretty much the only decent anti-air that the Tau have access to and it's ability to use indirect fire is a godsend. This is kind of fitting as it was originally introduced to the fluff as an AA platform, then moved to a support role as the model became more popular (due to the relative scarcity of flyers in your average 40k game). So yeah, the best thing to do with it is to sit it out of sight and use it to clip the wings of anything that would otherwise be a burden on your ground forces.
Actually, it's the most useless anti-air weapon ever constructed. Missiles hit on 4+, rather than 2+, and it's got an effective range of 24 inches due to the markerlights having to hit first. It got horribly nerfed in the Taros campaign.

Well, at least in Apocolypse. It's not bad using the FW flyer rules.
Old 07 Apr 2008, 20:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It got nerfed in the 4th ed tau codec. Before it hit on a set roll. Now it hits because of BS5...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 07:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Skyrays and Pathfinders /w Warfish? Multiple shifts of Pathfinders(probably 3x4), two sky rays, and 2 Broadsides? Or a bad idea? I'm thinking something like 18 seeker missile shots. Wow. Maybe more.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 09:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The SkyRay is a multi-role vehicle. It has anti-light infantry weaponry (2x Burst Cannons or SMS), can serve as a mobile markerlight platform, and has a bit of anti-MEQ firepower.

You're going to want to equip a SkyRay with the basic package: Multi-tracker and Decoy Launcher. Also equip a Targeting Array. I often use my SkyRay in tandem with a Hammerhead or a Fish of Fury. The Sky Ray's Markerlight shots can raise a Hammerhead's BS to 5, making those much-needed S10 and Pie-Plate shots easy to pull off. When used with a Fish of Fury, you can use the SkyRay's markerlights to increase the deployed Fire Warriors' BS up to 5. 24 S5 shots hitting on a 2+ = nasty.

I'm a fan of hybrid lists. So whenever I bring my SkyRay, I often have a small team of Pathfinders backing it up with markerlights. I like using a 5-man Pathfinder squad with up to 2 Rail Rifles. The 3 additional Markerlight shots allow me to also fire off Seeker Missiles more often, on top of the above-mentioned benefits.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote