Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight Enclave: too fluffy for fun?
Old 05 Apr 2008, 14:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Farsight Enclave: too fluffy for fun?

I really liked the idea of Commander Farsight, kinda the Tau's version of Marlon Brando in 'Apocolipse Now'. I was going to start a Farsight army, it's partially (but not fully, thank god*) the reason for my username. But when you look at the kind of choice and no-restrictions fun that the Orks get with their HQ choices, his Breakaway Faction rule gets quite depressing. Especially when you have to paint/shape your army one way or the other; your Farsight Enclave army can't fight as the Farsight Enclave in <1500 matches, presuming that the Breakaway Faction rule applies to Farsight himself and not the actual breakaway faction. Sure you get more XV-8s, but that comes with restrictions, while all or most of the Ork HQ choices don't have restrictions. Some of the Ork HQs have the >1500 rule, but it doesn't affect your army as much as the Farsight one does; as warbikes don't have to be used in a Gutsmek army, but (if you want to keep your models to the fluff) Farsight troops have to be in a Farsight army.

So to those who have actually played as or against a Farsight list, does the Breakaway Faction rule give an intresting twist to the army while keeping the gameplay balanced or is it just depressing restrictions, put on by a GW that allegedly "hates tau"? And are there any problems with playing <1500 games?

Maybe my topic title is inaccurate, as GW has restricted the power of Farsight's Enclave despite the fluff; as the Enclave Fire Warriors are no better in close-combat than the regular Empire FWs are, despite the codex clearly stating that warriors of the Fire Caste (read: Fire Caste, not just a select few) train heavily in close-combat.

Maybe Enclave Fire Warriors could be better (but not necessarily good) in close-combat, but with a rise in points, which could be justified by the higher training costs and the rarity of FWs available to the Enclive compared to the Empire, which is in itself limited in manpower when compared to the Imperium of Man. Though depending on how good they are in close-combat, that could make the FWs a broken tool, as you're paying extra to make the FWs better at something they're not supposed to do anyway. And like I said in the 'Cheapening the victory' thread, they might end up being too much like the Eldar if they did have melee Fire Warriors, unless they have XV-8s that are basically a Shas’ui/vre version of Farsight. Though Wargamer and others may cringe at the very thought of that, as it is taking the Tau ever further down the path of Gundam. ;D

*SDFarsight was an attempt to make my normal alias, SDFilm, sound more Tau-ish.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 15:15   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Farsight Enclave: too fluffy for fun?

You can play a Farsight enclave at <1500, but you cannot field Farsight. The restrictions can be quite debilitating, but if you figure you are likely to spend more points on crises suits, you can afford to take 1 less heavy, for instance, to maintain a mech Tau list. The Skyray is a viable option with the possibility for 2 STR 8 shots a turn. You are also not restricted in wargear, so your FW teams and Guevesa can still take marker lights to off set the restriction on pathfinders and skyrays. of course I don't know too many people who take more than 1 of either anyway.

What your primarily losing is Kroot. Kroot typically fill the HtH void in a Tau list, making it difficult to use the farsight enclave as a group who "trains heavily in close combat". Now Gun drones are a unit that I don't think a lot of people give credit to for assault. They are relatively cheap, and have a great speed factor. when running 8 of them along side some mobile FW's you can shut down a particular flank using them, buy dumping 8 pinning shots into the enemy, and if they pass the moral check, you charge, getting 16 I4 attacks, while your ammo dump from the FW usually takes out the other squad. Most people won't see it coming, and it would help in a farsight list that is very in your face.

I think the Farsight Enclave entices a great deal of players, because it is a fluffy army, support choices are restricted because they don't have en endless supply of men and equipment. I like it, I don't play it currently, but I have considered moving over to it from time to time. Each time I do, however, I keep looking at the things i use most use (pair of railheads) and I don't like what I'm losing. But hey you sleep in the bed you make. If Farsight and his cronies are cool to you. Go for it. Just ignore the rest of the book and imagine the Farsight Enclave is the only way to play.

[i]Just made it easier to the eyes, but nevertheless good overview for Farsight Enclaves. 1+ Karma - C_V
Gamekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can always play Apocalypse, then you can have Farsight with whatever you want.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Songblade
You can always play Apocalypse, then you can have Farsight with whatever you want.
Or you could just ignore the rules all together and say you don't care. Of course that's pretty much playing apocalypse anyway.
Gamekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll drink to that.

You could play with Farsight as your commander, but not use Farsight's rules, just use a standard Shas'o/'El.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 22:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In a smaller list, you could play AggroTau with some of your Fire Warriors... I've been enjoying that thread and think the potential for beefing a your Fire Warrior squad with carbines etc. would be sound tactics for not taking Kroot. I don't think anyone will complain if you use the rule Breakaway Faction; it's not going to break the game, you just can't take certain units as more than 0-1 and can take others.

i gotta be honest: Breakaway Faction is expensive (as in ducats, not points), so if I had invested in a Farsight Army I'd be highly motivated to keep my list and units and not have to buy a bunch of other models I didn't want in the first place. Even if you are just building an army, the same holds.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

Having commander Farsight is never too fluffy for fun, as you can then rip into your enemies heart and stick a pin in his side.
I'm a big supporter of strong HQ units, since they can more then often turn the tide in your favor, whether it being: luring, assaulting a flank, defending or counter-attacking, i find it very useful to keep a main character in my army.
My best choice is normally, commander Farsight or Shadowsun.

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 06:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I didn't like the Farsight Enclaves section of the Codex: Tau Empire, so I'm in the process of creating my own army. I technically can't field Farsight in the army because it's not based on Tau Empire rules(I'm basing it on Codex: Craftworld Eldar), but the overall feel is about the same(slightly more able to go into CC, more mobile/hit-run, but still rely on shooting).

However, if GW were to go back and give Farsight more than a page or two of changes/stats/units/etc to go with the drawbacks...or atleast make it so the drawbacks are on-par with the restrictions, then I'd be more than happy to go back to using a Tau codex. But as-is, I dislike it, and so use a different book to give my interpretation. In the end though, it's totally upto you.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote