Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick question about the smart missile system
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2008, 03:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Quick question about the smart missile system

I'm going up against eldar tomorrow and I have foolishly forgotten my codex at college for the weekend. Fortunately for me I have either memorized the majority of my codex, or have enough old data sheets to make it through a battle or two. Unfortunately my brother(the eldar player) has finally figured out how to use his harlequin, so that they do not die with in the first two turns. I think I can stop them with a smart missile system but I can not remember the exact rules for the smart missile system.
I know that any model with a smart missile system does not require line of sight to hit models, with the smart missile system. (for example models behind terrain or during night fight games) Does this also apply to models with certain special rules that cause units to test for line of sight? The harlequin shadow seer, and it's veil of tears, creates all sorts problems for most armies but does it effect the line of sight, or the lack there of, for the smart missile system? Would I still need to test to see them, or would I be able to hit them as long as they are with in the range of 24?
Old 05 Apr 2008, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Quick question about the smart missile system

You know, that is a good question. I cannot say for sure, I have played against Harlies for a while, and I have always made the test regardless. I would say that you should either read both codex very carefully, (which I know will be hard for you, but at least take a look at his codex and see how the psychic power is printed. If you can't decide, roll off. but I think you have better options to deal with harlies.
1. IC HQ with AFB behind some gun drones.
2. Hammer head template at extreme close range.
3. FOF.
you should be fine.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 05:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

SMS still has to take the test due to it being a special ability, not night-fight.
Same applies to SMS firing at things with stealth field generators too.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 05 Apr 2008, 05:40   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
SMS still has to take the test due to it being a special ability, not night-fight.
Same applies to SMS firing at things with stealth field generators too.
See that is precisely the point. What happen if your SMS platform is behind a building? Since it does not have LOS, and also the fact that the SMS does not need line of sight, that rule becomes rather contradictory as now they have to test for LOS even though it does not have LOS.

Odd isn't it?

My gaming group settles it as you can fire at the Harlie squad with a SMS if your SMS platform is behind buildings. I do not know about you guys however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 05:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

My group treat spotting distance and LoS as separate values when using SMS.
You don't need LoS, just need to roll a spotting distance check.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 05 Apr 2008, 07:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

discuss it before hand or just roll off for it.

i have discussed this case to death(harlies and viel) about indirect fire weapons and there are 2 basic camps

camp 1
.special rule-you always have to roll to spot because you want to target
camp 2
.special rule-my weapon specifically does not require spotting to target

i am in camp 2 because of the way the wording is for SMS

SMS "can engage any target within its range" it's range is 24" no LOS required and not affected by nightfight.

then add in the actually entry for the SMS where it says it has an "onboard AI that "searches for and hunts down" targets on its own. thus not needing to see the target from the firing unit.

it has never really been an issue here since none of our eldar players run harlies as they are to darn fragile especially when they take up a slot that can be filled by fire dragons.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 08:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The way we play it here is that you still need to check distance. Smart Missiles can shoot around corners and such, but the gunner still needs to be able to figure out where the target unit is (succeed on his night fighting / sight roll) in order to tell the missiles where to go.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
but the gunner still needs to be able to figure out where the target unit is (succeed on his night fighting / sight roll) in order to tell the missiles where to go.
the problem with that is your breaking the rules. the special rules for the SMS say the tank needs no sight nor does it need to make night fight rolls as it ignores them. and the gunner just has to fire in the general direct as the missles have onboard computer seekers that let them find thier own targets.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:49   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

You do need to check distance against Harlequins, Tau Stealth units, Grey Knights, and Vindicare Assassins, as none of them actually use the "Night Fighting" scenario rules directly. No wargear written to work against Night Fight explicitly works against any of these abilities (Including Searchlights, for example).
Old 05 Apr 2008, 10:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
You do need to check distance against Harlequins, Tau Stealth units, Grey Knights, and Vindicare Assassins, as none of them actually use the "Night Fighting" scenario rules directly. No wargear written to work against Night Fight explicitly works against any of these abilities (Including Searchlights, for example).
again we are back to the spotting issue i mentioned earlier

camp 1 says as you did above
camp 2 says as i said above

which is why you come to an agreement before hand, or disagree and dice off for it or disagree and not play each other.