Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

For the Greater Good
Old 05 Apr 2008, 01:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default For the Greater Good

Well I have Imperial Guard, and Black Templars, but now I want to start Tau and I might buy a friends army. It consits of 12 kroot, 24 fire warriors, 5 gun drones, a marker light drone, a devil fish, a hammer head, a crisis suit, and a Commander crisis suit. In addition I might buy 4 more battle suits from another friend.

1. So I'm off to a good start but I must know what are the best battle suit weapon configurations (ie. anti infantry, anti tank, and anti heavy infantry/light vehicle)?

2. Is it OK to field a mech tau army with the majority of the points going toward battle suits (ie. a 2000pt. army with about 10 crisis suits, 3 broadsides, and 2 shas'o commanders)

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: For the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium
Well I have Imperial Guard, and Black Templars, but now I want to start Tau and I might buy a friends army. It consits of 12 kroot, 24 fire warriors, 5 gun drones, a marker light drone, a devil fish, a hammer head, a crisis suit, and a Commander crisis suit. In addition I might buy 4 more battle suits from another friend.
That's a decent list there, I think.

Quote:
1. So I'm off to a good start but I must know what are the best battle suit weapon configurations (ie. anti infantry, anti tank, and anti heavy infantry/light vehicle)?
Well... Depends. If you mean the best specialized Crisis variants, then I guess you'd want missile pod + burst cannon/flamer for anti-infantry, missile pod + fusion blaster for anti-tank, and fusion blaster + plasma rifle for anti-heavy infantry. Otherwise, it really depends on exactly what you want to do with them.

Quote:
2. Is it OK to field a mech tau army with the majority of the points going toward battle suits (ie. a 2000pt. army with about 10 crisis suits, 3 broadsides, and 2 shas'o commanders)
Urgh... I wouldn't do that if I were you. Suits are meant to augment your firepower, not replace it. They're too expensive to be used effectively en masse like that.

Bring a balanced list; don't skimp on the Fire Warriors. If you like, bring Kroot to screen your troops, or put them in Devilfish (the troops, that is.)

Judging from what you suggested, you'll want to play static. I play hybrid, with a slight leaning towards mechanized, so I'm not much help on that.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 02:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

Well consider, how much the set costs and if you really need to have some of the units. Anyway, it really depends on what kind of army your aiming to obtain.
E.g -do you want a strong firepower static army or an assault army with plenty of transports.

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 15:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I'm a fan of the the Mech Tau like 3/4 mobile and the other quarter being a static fire base.

And if 10 is to many than how many should I have like one battle suit per squad of fire warriors.

Old 05 Apr 2008, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Well I'm a fan of the the Mech Tau like 3/4 mobile and the other quarter being a static fire base.

And if 10 is to many than how many should I have like one battle suit per squad of fire warriors.
Well, whenever I put suits in a list, I always have a task in mind for them. For example, if I expect skimmers, I'll take a three 'suit team with twin-linked missile pods. I also usually give them a secondary weapon, say a burst cannon, for close defense. That's usually enough to get the job done. If I feel I need a backup for them I might take another team, or an Ionhead.

But say I'm attacking a heavily armoured tank; a pair of fusion blasters ought to be enough. I can accomplish this using either a Stealth suit squadron or a pair of Crisis suits with twin-linked fusion blasters.

Now, I could easily use some Piranhas to accomplish the same with impunity to small arms fire; makes them ideal for engaging Imperial Guard. So remember that the battlesuits aren't always the best solution to a problem.

If you're using Broadsides, I wouldn't recommend using more than a three or so of them in a game. They're expensive and eat up heavy support options that you could use for things like Sniper Drones and Hammerheads.

It all depends on what task you have in mind for them. I'd give you a general rule, but there doesn't really seem to be one. The best thing to do is to try it out and see what works for your play style. Don't worry if you lose in the beginning; some ideas may not work so well as others, but in the end you'll find a list that suits you well.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Old 06 Apr 2008, 00:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So, Piranhas are useful I didn't know that I see them die so often and do so little in other matches I've played that I had disregarded them :.

Yeah I think that I might not do Brad sides insted have a ionhead a railhead and a sniper team.

My general plan was going to be drop in some anti-infantry suits behind his lines, while fish of furrying him up the flanks, heavy tanks and kroot up the front, and then adding anti-tank suits where needed. I don't know if that helps but it just seemed sound to me.

Old 06 Apr 2008, 00:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
So, Piranhas are useful I didn't know that I see them die so often and do so little in other matches I've played that I had disregarded them :.

Yeah I think that I might not do Brad sides insted have a ionhead a railhead and a sniper team.
That makes sense, yes.

Quote:
My general plan was going to be drop in some anti-infantry suits behind his lines [...]
Ah, see, Crisis suits really aren't the best for that. Try it with gun drones; you may be surprised at how effective they are.

Stealths would work too, though. Actually, funniest combination is Stealths with Gun Drones. Max out the squad and give them all two drones apiece. Withering firepower on demand. ;D

That can be difficult to Deep Strike due to space constraints, though, so be careful about how you use them.