1 Shas'o
3 x Crisis suits
6 x Stealth Suits
4 x 6 Firewarrior Teams with Devilfish Transport each
1 x Pathfinder, 3 Railrifles, Devilfish
2 x 8 Drone Squadrons
2 x Hammerheads with Ion Cannons
1 x Hammerhead with Railgun

Now, in another thread, it was pointed out that i do not have enough anti-tank. (my stealth suits do not have Fusion Blasters). Would it be wise to drop a drone squadron (or, min squad of them) so i can get the points to change an Ion Cannon HH to a Railgun HH, and add EMP grenades to my FW?

Another idea i was toying with was to remove the Pathfinders, and replace them with upgrades. Im strongly swinging to this idea as i love my Drone Squadrons, people tend to ignore them, and when both squads of 8 concentrate their firepower, they can do a lot of damage. By moving the Pathfinders, i can also give my Devilfishes Multi-trackers to allow them to move 12" and still be able to fire angry tau justice.

What do you think?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Anti-tank suggestions

I don't know.* I would think swapping the Ionhead out for a second Railhead should provide all the anti-tank capability you need.* Unless you are facing mainly Land Raiders and Monoliths, missile pods should be the heaviest thing you really need on your crisis suits.* I find that the fusion-blaster varients are most useful when you know there is going to be a lot of 14 armor on the table.* Aside from that, not much beats the Railgun. EMP grenades can be a nasty shock for your enemy, but they work best in sacrificial squads of human auxilieries and even then are a little hard to use.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2005, 03:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tough call Goyder:

For fun, I can't help but recommend the EMP's - but that's just for the shock factor and sheer delight of having Firewarriors crack a tough nutshell.

Otherwise, I think the Pathfinders could free up several points just be losing Rail Rifles, and gaining Seeker Missiles (or you just made your points up for the Railgun) without losing any of your current units. That way you keep your utility, but don't lose the units. However, overall, I tend to think upgrades for your Fish to fire on the move and upgrades on your hammerhead may be a good idea, compared to a single squad of Pathfinders. Pathfinders can really help your list with Burstcannons and Icon Cannons. It's a hard choice. I think keeping the Pathfinders but losing the RailRifles would be my choice--taking the Railgun for the armor. The extra points could be black sun filters or a few decoy launchers somewhere, something else at least.

Otherwise, if you love Ion Cannons - Seekers are a perfectly acceptable, albeit not as reliable or cheap way to break armors. Railrifles could be 3 S8 seeker missiles, but it comes down to what you want to do (it would be 3 shots against something, maybe decent?).
Old 19 Apr 2005, 03:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I notice you're not using your third elite slot - ever think about creating an anti armor deep striking-solo crisis suit to knock out armor? If points are tight and you don't want to fiddle with the army too much, you could even have your EL equipped with a twin linked fusion blaster and a shield generator and send him in to an honorable death. Hopefully not before nuking some annoying tank on turns 2-5. Preferably turn 2 8)

The above suit in the shas'ui figure is 68 points. Kinda pricey but it can get the job done. The commander fusion model is 88. Personally I've noticed deepstriking suits tend to die pretty quickly after the initial shot, so you could opt to go with the commander version and deepstrike him with one of your 8 gun drone squads. Give him a buffer versus enemy ranged fire barring some bad deepstriking rolls.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
ShadowDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2005, 03:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd Drop the RR and a Drone Squad for a Sunforge Monat and some seekers

Monat
TLFB
Flamer
57pts

8 Seekers
80pts

thats enough AT I'd say ^-^
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
dizzygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2005, 04:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Im kinda off Seeker Missiles, when i used to play Tau eons ago, they never did the job. Either my Markerlights would miss, or the missile just wouldnt cut it.

If i remove the Pathfinders, i would be able to dish out the upgrades needed for my Devilfishes, as i made sure that my Hammerheads allready had a multi-tracker and Decoy Launcher. I will then give my FW the EMP grenades, (or just one sqaud), for anti-tank duty if i need too. I can then afford to have the anti-tank killy death Crisis suit added in. Deep strike in, blow some tanks up, and hopefully keep living!

Also, i think i will have to go with 2 Rail Gun HH. As much as I love the Ion Cannon, I dont have the necessary anti-tank grunt i need with my list. And becuase i really feel this list appeals to the Tread Head in me (gotta love Imperial Guard AC's), i really dont want to change it much. So, only 1 Ion cannon for me.

Unless....I work in a way to get one fully decked out squad of dedicated anti-tank killy death Crisis Suits...

hmmm...
Old 19 Apr 2005, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

dont waste pts on lots of AT crisis ^-^

but if seekers are not a fav, then do drop the PF (I assumed all the Fishes had Full kit ^-^, Doh!)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
dizzygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2005, 04:57   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Maybe just a squad of 2 AT Crisis?

However, if i drop the PF, add the Multi-tracker to my Devilfishes for my fire support, give my FW EMP Grenades, i have a descent chance of taking out Tanks. The Crisis suits can knock out Light - Medium tanks, as can the Ion Cannon, while the Rail gun can concentrate on the biggies.

And, I can fly over most light tanks/dreadies, drop out my firewarriors, and with the backup of the devilfish / another squad, hit the soft squishy armour of the rear, and do some damage. 34 st 5 shots hitting armour 10 (for most vechiles) should do the trick! And if all else fails? Charge the tank, and see the look on the enemies eye's when i blow it sky high with EMP.

Old 19 Apr 2005, 05:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Id go with the EMP FWs, with so many Mobile FW units, it wouldent hurt your list that much. And your pretty much guaranted to do some damage. You might even want to try it with the pathfinders, with the pregame move, they'd be 12" closer to any target you have. You'll probably kill any tank on turn 2.
On another note, why did you go with 4 teams of 6 FWs with a DF for each? Seems a little streached out to me.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 06:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I want a Mechanised Tau army pretty much, and i found smaller groups of Tau Fire Warriors to be that little better. And, if i lose a squad, its only 60+pts, so its no real big loss.