Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau need tau ideas on beating those necrons
Old 04 Apr 2008, 22:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau need tau ideas on beating those necrons

please some help me i have a big battle coming up and i am fighting the necrons and they have some nasty things in there army and i dont have a battle plan for them.and how do i kill that monalft i cant spell it lol
For The Greater of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 22:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry
Default Re: Tau need tau ideas on beating those necrons

Hmmmm, Tau against necrons....
It'll probably be a close game, but my advice is to try and stay out of range of their gauze flayer's rapid fire.
If they have an orb of resurrection, aim for the necron warriors and send a few crisis suits to destroy the monoliths wit there rail guns(solid shots)- you will probably need 2/3 turns to kill the monoliths but when accomplished you'll find the necrons get less maneuverable.
Remembering- the have the 'I'll be back' special rule, so don't go to extreme lengths and sacrifice too many fire warriors to kill a few necrons.
Also remember it's not all about KILL, KILL, KILL you also need to avoid being KILLED, KILLED, KILLED

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 23:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Use all of your firepower to go after all of his jetbike units, as they can tie you up in h2h quickly, or shoot you to pieces.

Take down every last one of the same type of model, and none can get back up.

Use railgun submunitions to blow up scarabs, as each unsaved wound will kill two bases each

Use pulse rifles or burst cannon to kill wraiths, as they have invun. saves but low toughness, wounds, and squad size.

To kill the monolith, use railguns. Tau are up with craftworld eldar as the two best races to blow a monolith up with ease.

After that, if he teleports troops with a lord, use your entire armies firepower to wipe out the teleporting lord and troops.

After that, stay moblie and keep 25"+ away if possible, if not, make sure you stay more than 18" away. Either way, pummel his remaining forces with long range firepower until they fold and phase out.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 23:03   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

cool thanks should i field hammerheads in the game or broadsides and should. what type of config crisis suits should i use?
For The Greater of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 23:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You should focus all your fire on one unit/type of units at a time so they are wiped out. And the destroyers are actually quite fragile with one wound and +1T to a warrior, thats the only difference, so you should go after them as they are also more easily wiped out so they can't come back.

I would recomend fireknife or similar with high AP weapons as the 'Crons have good saves.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 23:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Greater of Gold
cool thanks should i field hammerheads in the game or broadsides.
Both if you can, Broadsides for anti-Monolith duty (one squad max) and railheads for scarab/ destroyer/ warrior/ lord duty. If not, just go with the railheads, and stay behind cover until the destroyers are down, then come out to pop the scarabs/ monolith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Greater of Gold
what type of config crisis suits should i use?
Death rains, Burning Eye, Fireknives, etc. Keep good range, and either good AP or high strength. But keep them BS 4+ or twinlinked, as you will need to hit a LOT to kill enough 'crons.

Also, read the AggroTau article, as it has good ideas as to the mindset for killing necrons. Two changes to it must, however, be made.

1: do not take down a point on the board, instead take down a type of unit the opponent has (destroyers, for example)

2: do not get into close combat, as if even one necron survives the assault, others can and will get up, join the combat, and you will be swamped in a melee you will not win. Instead, just apply overwhelming firepower, then get out of assault range.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote