Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need alternative Tau models; Gue'Vesa Help?
Old 04 Apr 2008, 19:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need alternative Tau models; Gue'Vesa Help?

Okay, i hope i have your attention now

I am a new Tau player and i have a big problem. While i love most of the models (especially the Stealth Suits), Broadsides and Crisis Suits really are god-awful. With their blocky design they seem to come from a different army.
Also i don't like Kroot and Vespids, they just seem too alien for me.

I already got a solution for Kroot: I am using Catachan models with "tau enhanced lasguns" (Imperial Lasguns with Pulse Rifle barrels) to represent Tau. Those Gue'vesa are supposed to be from a world with high gravity, which should explain their strenght.

I am thinking about using converted Drones or Cadians with jump packs to represent Vespids (here my main concern are the Vespid models, that are fugly).

But my main concern are Crisis Suits and Broadsides. While i have one Forgeworld model for each of those units (which look excellent and leaves my speechless, how the same company can model two models of the same unit time, one looking great, one sucking extremely), it is too expensive and inconvenient for me to order more from Forgeworld.
Now i am searching for solutions to represent Battlesuits. Maybe heavely converted Imperial Sentinels with Tau weaponry and Jump Packs?

What are your thoughts

EDIT By RZ: Title made clearer.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Err...

... why not use Gue'vesa proper? There are accepted rules for them.

If you want to use pinkskins to represent Kroot, better use converted Ogres (or just get Ogryns, the less fun choice). Pretend they're enhanced to ensmartenate them, I reckon, and paint them up all sneaky. Stick an entire bush as-in on the heads and stuff.

I still say just use Gue'vesa using the Gue'vesa roolz.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 19:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: I HATE Tau ( actually i love them, but some models really suck...)Gue'Vesa H

I think you don't understand my problem. My problem is not that i want to play Gue'vesa. Gue'vesa is a probable solution for my problem, that i don't like certain Tau models.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I HATE Tau ( actually i love them, but some models really suck...)Gue'Vesa H

I got that, I just thought "Cadians as Kroot" seemed awkward... use your Cadians as troops and use "Ogryns" (either converted per the GW website or the actual official models) as Kroot. Cadians are too weedy.

I don't know about the suits. It would be extremely difficult to imagine a walker that could leap, fire and leap. That'd be some darn conversion... You're halfway to IG plays-as-Tau, it seems, which is weird.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 20:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

You don't like Crisis suits? 0.o

You may have picked the wrong army, buddy. Crisis suits look great if they're painted up and, posed dynamically, they look very fluid, not blocky at all. Take a look at the showcase thread, there's some great ones there.

Regardless, using guardsmen as Kroot is a pretty cool idea. Catachans might do quite nicely. Perhaps you could give 'em a few metal bits and say that they were given a few mechanical enhancements by the Tau. Also, make sure to give 'em some close combat weapons when you model them, to give the extra attacks.

Vespid... I agree with you. They are kinda ugly, although I've seen a few people model them in awesome poses.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I fully agree on some of the alien races looking weird with Tau, I love Kroot but not with Tau (hence my kroot mercenary army). And Vespids are probably THE worst models ever. They don't look good and they are such SOB's to build and keep in place with their stupid antennas and stuff.

It would be rather hard to play Tau without battlesuits however. I do agree upon the Forgeworld ones looking beautiful, but... I would recommend taking the Crisis suit base and tacking on a bunch of bits and stuff to blur the model and streamline it more to your tastes. Maybe a drone as a head or something. Otherwise I don't really know how to help you.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 20:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

First of all, change the title. People could see that in the wrong light.

Second of all, you don't have to use the models. And if you do need the units that much, then it shouldn't matter what they look like, as long as they do what you want them to do, then they're fine.

But if you insist;
Gue'vesa are a reasonably good CC substitute for Kroot.
Hammerheads are a good substitute for Broadsides, if not better.
And you'll just have to live with crisis suits. They are a kick-ass unit.

But you should think your army through before you start it. One of the main reason that I didn't start Eldar is because I didn't like their models and fluff. In-game, they're great, but I just don't like them as a race. Same went with DE...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 21:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: I HATE Tau ( actually i love them, but some models really suck...)Gue'Vesa Help?

I actually really like the cadians w/ tau weapons as Kroot. It works quite well actually.

As for Vespid, yeah, i'm not crazy about the models either, so I went for the simplest solution; don't use 'em. Vespid aren't an "Essential" tau unit.

You said you had one crisis suit from forgeworld you liked right? Great, there's your HQ. He can be your only suit! Thats it! Don't take any more, fill out the rest of the list with Firewarriors, devilfish, piranhas and hammerheads. Make a mech army, they're effective and look great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 23:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

If you like the forgeworld models, I would suggest learning how to create your own molds and make duplicate castings for yourself.