Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

3.5 Uses for an Ethereal
Old 03 Apr 2008, 12:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 3.5 Uses for an Ethereal

Ethereals have got a lot of bad press since Tau Empire came out: their best abilities squandered. Many people have dropped them from their lists, and they are confined to showcases of bitz boxes. To encourage blowing the dust off the Tau's glorious leaders, and showing just how good they can be, I now present:

4.5 Uses for an Ethereal

1. Favoured Fish of Fury

This has come up in a thread recently (here), and is a very viable tactic. Take an Ethereal, 11 or less Fire Warriors to go with him as an Honour Guard, and put them in the FoF formation. This does risk the Ethereal, but the unit is much more potent, with BS4 instead of 3.

Higher BS guarantees a rise in the number of hits, and the more hit, the less risk to the Ethereal. Since FoF will mean most enemies won't be able to charge, you also have a chance to get the Ethereal away. The Ethereal is less at risk anyway, as the enemy cannot target him if he is with the squad. Thus, you create a much more powerful version of FoF, with only a little more risk- a potentially game-winning tactic.

2. Bait

The Ethereal can be a very juicy target, as almost all enemies know the effect it can have if one dies, and will sacrifice a lot to get at them. Put your Ethereal in a slightly exposed position, but make sure you have lots of suits/tank/FWs with LoS, and a large Kroot squad nearby. If the enemy takes the bait, and moves forward, create a screen of Kroot and open fire. Always pick the closest or the fastest unit, and completely destroy it before attacking the next one.

If the enemy doesn't take the bait, your Ethereal will still be alive and you can reap the benefits! If he does die, it will be tough, but the Tau can survive, just try and make sure no units are too close to the board edge. For every squad that stays on, your army will be much more efficient.

3. What they're built for...

This generally only works with Static Tau. Just put the Ethereal somewhere where he can see your troops, but the enemy can't see him, give him a decent bodyguard and protect him. This tactic is not as viable as it used to be, but can still be excellent. You just have to watch out for Deep Strikers,

3.5 Models

Remember that the Ethereals have lovely models that are fun to paint, so why not show off your talent with a lovely Ethereal centrepiece?

C&C welcome.

Thanks,

Songblade

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 4.5 Uses for an Ethereal

I typed out a long note on your tactica here, but the machine timed me out and it was lost.

Basically none of your suggestions work.

1. enemy will completely cut down this unit of 12pt per model FW and etherial who is targetable since he has a bodyguard. The high priced unit and subsequint leadership test across the board makes it a foregone conclusion that this unit will not survive. To many points to ignore.

2.This is foolish really. Take a different HQ choice rather than risk everyone taking a leadership test just to lure the enemy in. In fact, I've never had a single opponant go after my Etherial since he is both an IC and a non-threat to the enemy's immediate plans/needs.

3. You have to be kidding right? All Tau on the table take the morale check. The rules don't specify if in vehicles, are vehicles or anything even close to that. Kroot, drones, Vespids, units in CC and falling back take no test. Everyone else does.

4. Etherials work great. Best at allowing passed leadership to be failed in conjunction with the Tau Run Like a Girl system. Basically you remove models in base contact during CC, then fail leadership and fall back, but the enemy can only consolidate since there are no models in base contact. Next turn falling back unit, along with others, can rapid fire the consolidating enemy...
Fishpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, these are the four uses for an etherial, but none of them are all that good. Not even 4.5 is all that valid now that they have they have the whole space vatican meets dracula thing going on. I like them thematically and I like the idea behind them, it's just that the drawbacks make them not worth it. I wish they were just worth a little extra VP or something like that, I'd probably take them.

Fishpaste: I agree that point three is not a very good idea, but he is correct that units in transports when the ethereal bites it won't have to take the test, as they're not on the table. (not rules jockeying, units in transports are officially not "present") I'm not at home now, but I pretend to remember that any tau unit that takes the test gets preferred enemy. That would mean that units in transports or waiting reserves wouldn't take the test, but wouldn't get the benefit. I may have made that up though, I'm very creative.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
Fishpaste: I agree that point three is not a very good idea, but he is correct that units in transports when the ethereal bites it won't have to take the test.
OK, show me where it states this and I'll be happy with it.

Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:42   #5 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I'm not at home now, but I pretend to remember that any tau unit that takes the test gets preferred enemy.
Yep, they get preferred enemy if they pass the morale test. In fact I think Tonka wrote a tactica about using Shadowsun in concert with an Ethereal. That way when the ethereal died everyone got to use Shadowsun's Ld10 for their morale checks. Giving you a very good chance of scoring Favored Enemy at the cost of an ethereal.

P.S. I don't like the idea of the Favored Fish Of Furry so much simply because most of the people I play with concentrate fire on a loaded Fish to try and kill the FoF before they disembark.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Vehicles don't have leadership and I've never heard of a unit being forced to run out of a vehicle, only when it takes a penetrating hit.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ethereals are not good because you get more of a deficient for them dieing than, benefit being on the board.

For instance (please forgive me I might be mixing first and second edition codex, never use ethereals.) You get a benefit from LOS to the ethereal, when the ethereal dies every tau unit takes a freak out check, not just those in LOS.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 14:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpaste
Quote:
Fishpaste: I agree that point three is not a very good idea, but he is correct that units in transports when the ethereal bites it won't have to take the test.
OK, show me where it states this and I'll be happy with it.

Show me something, anywhere, where units in vehicles fall back.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 14:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Regarding Fishpases comments.

1/ Are you in the habit of performing FoFs right in the face of the entire enemy army? It sounds like you are used to allowing the enemy fire back at you at will. That is actually not the best use for that tactic. You should, as always, concentrate on a specific target while minimizing return fire and CC threats. Perhaps use it as a "bait" move, to make your opponent reallocate resources?

2/ The bait can work, but you cannot be to obvious about it. The "When I do this..." argument is kind of irrelevant. The bait could be performed well while you use the Ethereal in the classic way. Just try to be a little more subtle about it. Some opponents will want to try to take out the unit that is bolstering leadership across the board, som will not. Use either to your advantage!

3/ I agree this is not a tactic I would actively play myself, but to each his/her own. I too seem to remember that units in transports are regarded as "not on table", but I have to look it up. It may be in a FAQ.

Cheers! LtCariad
LtCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 14:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Regarding Fishpases comments.

Quote:
1/ Are you in the habit of performing FoFs right in the face of the entire enemy army? It sounds like you are used to allowing the enemy fire back at you at will. That is actually not the best use for that tactic. You should, as always, concentrate on a specific target while minimizing return fire and CC threats. Perhaps use it as a "bait" move, to make your opponent reallocate resources?

FOF means 12" away, which means every single non-CC weapon is in range except demolition charges. While you do try to avoid return fire, it isn't that easy and typically FoF troops suffer heavy losses from heavy bolters, autocannons, and a host of enemy that are not the FoF target. sorry but I've played this tactic too many times to know you are absolutely running high risk if using the Etherial and his bodyguard for this. As much as one might grouse, the FoF is not a cool trick free of harm. The minute you drop those troops the enemy will make every effort to waste them in his turn. Good luck with it.

Quote:
2/ The bait can work, but you cannot be to obvious about it. The "When I do this..." argument is kind of irrelevant. The bait could be performed well while you use the Ethereal in the classic way. Just try to be a little more subtle about it. Some opponents will want to try to take out the unit that is bolstering leadership across the board, som will not. Use either to your advantage!
This statement makes no sense my friend, sorry. How does one be subtle about exposing your Etherial to danger? Place him 1/4" closer to the enemy than the nearest unit? The bait can't work, because in *actual* games against people who aren't teenagers your Etherial isn't going to draw attention unless you run him straight out in front where the CC monsters can off him in a single turn. Your statement is simply trying to walk a fence that doesn't exist. The Etherial is either tossed in the wind's of fortune, or he is not exposed as an IC. Playing Peekaboo to draw attention just doesn't work on the table.

Quote:
3/ I agree this is not a tactic I would actively play myself, but to each his/her own. I too seem to remember that units in transports are regarded as "not on table", but I have to look it up. It may be in a FAQ.
I'm willing to accept any information showing this to be the case. As it is, all vehicles are units also and must test. The rule is very clear that "ALL" Tau units test unless in CC or fallback (not non-Tau like Kroot, drones, vespids). And it isn't in the FAQ

http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/...lebook_faq.pdf

Check the last two entries and find where you are being confused by. Essentially weapons cannot target or be targeted by transported units (the not on the table bit applies here). It doesn't say the Etherial's loss morale check doesn't effect transported vehicles. Simply put, the loss of the Etherial means a morale test for transported units, as the test is not a weapon, not a loaned leadership value, and not a psychic power targeting the transported troops.