Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield Drones...
Old 02 Apr 2008, 14:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Shield Drones...

How does one gain more sheild drones? I have yet to see them "for purchase" anywhere. I use them extensively and would like to get some more, instead of using gundrones. Or do I have to do converts on them? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the convert or where I can get just shield drones?

Thanks in advance.
yamashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 14:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Shield Drones...

Various ways:

1) Take a Gun Drone but don't stick the carbines on, instead file the circular bit down and stick an XV8 shield generator onto it.
2) Don't stick the circular bit in at all and just stick the XV8 shield generator on where it would have slotted in.

Easy. You can do whatever you want with it after that to make it look more shield-dronish.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 14:51   #3 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Sheild drones are usually converted. The easiest way to do it is simply to cut the gun mounting nubs off of an unassembled gun drone and use it as a shield drone. For me I took all of my Broadside shields and trimmed the inside flat then mounted them to the gun drone tops with the gun nubs removed and the center piece sanded down about half-way, they make nearly perfect gun drone look-a-likes.

Drat, beaten by Extartius!
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 02:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I looked all over but I could not find a site that just sold the shield drone bit :-\ sorry man. But if you really don't want to do the conversion (which if you don't i don't blame ya) if you use pathfinders the shas'ui comes with a shield drone. Or if you wanted to make a xv22 commander you could buy shadowsun's model she comes with two shield done. But other then that you are probably going to have to make the conversion.
<-Please click!
Blue blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 01:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you could always go to the war store and ask (probably need to call, cant find an e-mail) if they could just send out the shield drones separately, if you really didn't want to convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 06:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've always felt wierd about using converted models in actual games, to all those people who said to convert a gun drone. For some reason it kinda makes me feel like the models arnt real or something and shouldn't be aloud...

That aside, I would still have to agree with the other people who said to convert a gun drone, its a fairly simple conversion and you should try it if you have some spare bits some time.
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 06:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Not much you can do in this case. Shield Drones have never been available on their own. They were sold with the Stealth and Pathfinder Shas'ui blisters, Shadowsun (who needs both of hers) and I got two in one of the army boxes.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 08:37   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Not much you can do in this case. Shield Drones have never been available on their own. They were sold with the Stealth and Pathfinder Shas'ui blisters, Shadowsun (who needs both of hers) and I got two in one of the army boxes.
Khanaris have worded it very well if you want the original Shield Drones. However, most people converted their own shield drones as more often than not all Tau players will have a prodigious amount of drones in their army due to the fact that most Tau units will come free with two drones, or in the cases of Battleforce and army boxes, more than two drones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 08:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry to thread hijack, but this has been bugging me... [NOOB QUESTION WARNING :P]

What is the point in shield drones? Because In the codex i can't find where it says that if a unit takes a shield drone, then the unit gains a 4+ invulnerable save. As far as I'm aware, all it says is that "The drone has a 4+ invulnerable save" and pardon my ignorance, but I can't find where it says that the unit gains that benefit...

(I sound so stupid, but I'm being serious... :P)
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 08:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubgum
Sorry to thread hijack, but this has been bugging me... [NOOB QUESTION WARNING :P]

What is the point in shield drones? Because In the codex i can't find where it says that if a unit takes a shield drone, then the unit gains a 4+ invulnerable save. As far as I'm aware, all it says is that "The drone has a 4+ invulnerable save" and pardon my ignorance, but I can't find where it says that the unit gains that benefit...

(I sound so stupid, but I'm being serious... :P)
Check in your wargear section bubgum. It should be listed alongside the other drones. The Shield Drones takes on the armour save of the unit it tries to protect, along with the mandatory 4+ Invulnerable save. Read your Codex, as it is stated there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote