Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New player, having fun
Closed Thread
Old 18 Apr 2005, 17:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New player, having fun

New to both 40k in general and to Tau, although not to other minis games.

Purchased a few items and have been starting to paint and mod a few things. Not planning on getting into tournaments right away.

What I have:

~ 36 Fire Warriors
Two Devilfish (one unassembled, I've ordered a Hammerhead turret sprue for conversion)
Four XV8 Crisis suits (one being converted into a Broadside with some extra bits)
Five XV15 Stealth suits (four standard, one leader)
~ 25 Gun drones
16 Kroot
20 Imperial Guard (Cadians)

Suggestions on organization and tactics are welcome....
Old 18 Apr 2005, 17:55   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: New player, having fun

Looks like a good start! I would recommend picking up enough Kroot to fill out the squad at some point.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

hey and welcome to the forums! always good to see a fresh tau face! I'm 42 one of the Tau Board moderators

for more advice on tactics look through the stickies, there is a great range of info. to be found at present. Also for some samplea rmy lists and styles of play why not check these out! http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6372.0, (hehe its my newest project and this is the first time i have had to get advertising and putting into use! enjoy ;D)

hope that helps, come back with questions either here or in other threads!
hope to see you around, feel free to pm me as well!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey chris, welcome to the board. I ordered the tank sprues we needed yesterday so they should be here sometime this week. If you're looking for quality advice, you should try to get ahold of "MalVeauX", one of the board mods here. He knows his stuff and should be able to help you more than I could due to his experience with the game.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Firewarriors, Human Auxiliaries... upcoming tanks and suits.

I smell a static markerlight army full of seeker missiles and heavy weapons around the corner! Of course, that's just an old school hope anyways. Anyhow, as it is, you could easily build a large infantry army based around makerlights for your various heavy weapons. This type of army would make great use of Stealthsuits and other multi-shot type units to a great extent. How I see it, is that you could mount those Firewarriors to do some dirty work--leaving the humans to do the markerlight work. You could play around with Ion cannons, Seeker Missiles and Burstcannons all guided for the Greater Good.

I'm sure you'll get the standard blog of buy X, X, X and make X with your list soon. But until then, you could consider something most people here would never attempt!

As for what you have, let's see what we've got lined up... Ahh yes, quite possible:
  • HQ - Shas'El; Weapons of choice! Missile Pods somewhere with any other weapon is a good choice.
  • Elite - XV8 with Missile Pods and another weapon of choice, or twinlinked if you like.
  • Elite - XV8 with Missile Pods and another weapon of choice, or twinlinked if you like.
  • Elite - XV15 x 5; Team Leader with Gundrones x 2
  • Troop - Fire Warriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Multi-tracker; Targeting Arrary; Decoy Launchers; Seeker Missiles x 2
  • Troop - Fire Warriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Multi-tracker; Targeting Arrary; Decoy Launchers; Seeker Missiles x 2
  • Troop - Human Auxilliaries x 6; 'Ui; Markerlight
  • Troop - Kroot x 16; Infiltration
  • Fast Attack - Gundrones x 8
  • Heavy - XV-88; Multi-tracker; Team Leader with Gundrones x 2

This could be roughly 1250~1350 points depending how you do it. I'd recommend considering a 1,000 point army to start and just keep this above example as merely an example of what you could possibly do with the models you have.[/list]
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
Hey chris, welcome to the board. I ordered the tank sprues we needed yesterday so they should be here sometime this week. If you're looking for quality advice, you should try to get ahold of "MalVeauX", one of the board mods here. He knows his stuff and should be able to help you more than I could due to his experience with the game.
ahh do you guys know each other, collect together or something? There is a fair chunk of sound tacticas and info around the TO site and the stickies here in the fourm to read your head around I know! Just remember the best way of learning the ropes...playing the games!

Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
ahh do you guys know each other, collect together or something? There is a fair chunk of sound tacticas and info around the TO site and the stickies here in the fourm to read your head around I know! Just remember the best way of learning the ropes...playing the games!

Yeah, we both play at the same store weekly and I recognize his screen name from another tabletop game we used to play prior to starting warhammer.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yep. Of course, SD was usually a bit better at maxing out his army's capabiliities than I was...

My planned next purchase is some more Kroot to round out the squad (I may just nab someone's extras, or split a box) and some Kroot Hounds. Then possibly another unit of Stealth suits.

Question: Can the Broadside be equipped with jump packs? I saw in the FAQ that the other suits get them automatically, but the Broadside is specifically exempted from that list.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

it is.

Before you start buying extra stuff (except kroot, they are a must!) i would get playing as many games as possible trying to work out what your army needs an establish a playing style that u like!

Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, and read both the tactica on-line here at TauOnline and at the Mechanized Tau site. Both are in the colored text in my siganture.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Closed Thread