Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions about kroot.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 23:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Sepher The Reckoner
Default Questions about kroot.

I'm looking in the new codex, which i just received in the mail today, and it says a kroot squad can consist of 10-20 Kroot, 0-12 kroot hounds, and 0-3 Krootox riders. Now, im not saying i would do it, but does this mean that your krrot squad could contain 20 kroot, 12 kroot hound, and 3 krootox riders?

Tau: Wins:0 Loss:0 Draw:0
Sepher The Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 23:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Questions about kroot.

Yes, it does as they are so fragile you get a lot of them. But I would skip the 'ox normally.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 23:50   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Oh, i agree with you on the 'ox there. I find them very wasteful as they can be killed out right very easily.

The kroot hounds, however, are a little more valuable in my opinion.

Old 02 Apr 2008, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You should keep in mind that it's sort of hard to take out a kroot ox, by the fact that they've got a minimum of 10 extra wounds tagging along with them. Thats why I've always chuckeled whenever some one cried out "but they get insta-killed by STR 6 weapons". Oh, and they rip the heck out of anything in hth that doesn't have a 3+ save. Besides Farsight, kroot-ox are the best hth model the Tau have (stat wise).
Old 02 Apr 2008, 07:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use a very large kroot squad, 16 Kroot, 10 Kroot Hounds, 3 Krootox, 1 Shaper and 1 converted Shaper model to represent Anghkor Prok. My most common enemies are Orks, Tyranids and Eldar. While they arent terrible effective against Eldar, my kroot squad could defeat every ork on the table(minus mega armour nobs) if given time and are excellent versus Gaunts, Tyranid Warriors (because they are often few in number) and can hold their own against genestealers. The trick is blasting the badass melee guys(those mega armour nobs, warbikers, Ghazgul, Hive Tyrant, Carnifex etc.) into oblivion before the kroot have to deal with them and they are highly effective.

But the credit there really goes to my Anghkor Prok, be able to reroll misses in CC and using his Ld of 10 makes Kroot 2x as good, also the sheer size of the squad makes it hard for enemies to pass leaderships for losing combats and for the Kroot to have to take leaderships for taking shooting casualties.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 09:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepher The Reckoner
I'm looking in the new codex, which i just received in the mail today, and it says a kroot squad can consist of 10-20 Kroot, 0-12 kroot hounds, and 0-3 Krootox riders. Now, im not saying i would do it, but does this mean that your krrot squad could contain 20 kroot, 12 kroot hound, and 3 krootox riders?
Yes this is exactly it.

I would recommend that you reconsider the krootox however. I only have the one ox and ten kroot in a squad, deployed to protect one of my flanks. Thanks to the strength six attacks and strength seven gun of the krootox, these guys have seen off such nasties as possessed marines and necron destroyers.
Just remember, deploy your kroot outside of cover and they have the life expectancy of a small, furry, endangered animal in a room full of taxidermists.
Love your kroot kids and they'll love you back
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I will take another look at the krootox. From what I've noticed, there are two stands on kroot. Some people don't use them at all, and others love them for one reason or another.

So, I'm trying to look at advantages of krootox, and one thing comes to mind. Because it is a heavy unit attached to an infantry unit, does that mean that if the unit is the target of some fire, you can select the regular kroot to die first? What are some other benefits to them, because I am just not sure if they would weigh up to taking a broadside unit, or a tank.

Edit-Wait a sec, hold the phone. Are they no longer considered a heavy unit in the organization chart???

Old 03 Apr 2008, 06:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Krootox are still Troops. they remove the infiltrate ability from normal Kroot. And they carry a rapid fire autocannon.

Big woopity. Sure, you assign wounds to kroot before Krootox. But, what do they really do? For the cost of 5 kroot, you get 1-2 shots at higher ST(good anti-tank!), and extra wounds(useless vs. anything S6 or higher). They attack like 3 kroot. S6 is nice an-all, but it doesn't ignore armor saves.

Kroot hounds are useful. They tie with Eldar Exachs in Init, and have the same attacks as koot, with no shooting. They're cheaper. Krootox? They're worthless.

Take'em if you want to be fluffy or something. That's always cool.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 10:13   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Krootox in my opinion is a sup-par choice as we can get more effective Str 7 weapon platforms from our army list (Hammerheads and Crisis suits). But nevertheless they can be used just like any other weapon.

If one is to use their kroot competitively, the Krootox will not fit in well, as most players would prefer to have their infiltrating abilities unhindered and also to spam more Kroots and kroot hounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 11:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would skip the Krootox, mainly because the model is very difficult to assemble without using GS.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote