Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Railrifles in pathfinder teams?
Old 01 Apr 2008, 22:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Railrifles in pathfinder teams?

I've always followed the school of thought, railrifles are for the sniper drone teams. But then I noticed that the railrifles in pathfinder teams have target locks. OK so I don't have to waste my markerlights as I thought I might have to.

My question is, is it worth it? How many would you recommend in a team and should i target a few units to try and pin?

It's something I've not tried and wont get chance for a few weeks so would like to hear some thoughts on it.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 22:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Railrifles in pathfinder teams?

i've always been swayed by that particular school of thought too. though i do have 2 pathfinders with railrifles. I figure if Markerlights are heavy weapons, then the unit must be still to use them, why not combine that with some good firepower. Now i haven't actually had the chance to try it out, but i think it'll work.

if your going for a pathfinder "sniper team" say, 1 shas'ui 3 railrifles etc. its not worth it, sniper drones are cheaper, you get more of them for the cost and the organisation slot. apart from added firepower to a pathfinder unit, i can't see them being that useful in comparison to sniper drones.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 22:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Simple. They dont take up a heavy support slot. If youre tight on those, it would be a good solution. Plus, you can have up to 5 markerlights with the team as well. On the other hand, the devilfish wont see much use... What you can use it for though, is to harass the enemy with a single tank, or you could support a firewarrior team doing a FOF. It could also be used to make pin-point drops with crisis. It is a brilliant tank and doesent need to transport anything to be effective.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm pretty sure Sniper Drones have Target Locks as well.

Anyway, if you really need the rail rifles, can't spare the HS slot and can manage the loss of markerlight hits, then you can put them on your pathfinders.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 23:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Because I like to have one of every other Heavy Support choice and I don't like the other Fast Attack choices, the biggest advantage to the rail rifle pathfinders is their force org slot. I find the point calculations very close, although the sniper teams are a little more economical; basically, the stealth field and extra point of BS on the markerlight are free. However, the more I play with the railfinders the more I like them. You get more than one markerlight, an excuse to put another warfish on the table for fire support, and the pathfinders can get to another area of the table much faster than the sniper drones.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 13:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovash745
My question is, is it worth it? How many would you recommend in a team and should i target a few units to try and pin?
Whether it,s worth it or not, depends what you want to do with your pathfinder:

a) If you want to capitalize on mobility/number of shoots/improving other team then take no rail rifle;

b) If you want to have a bit of extra punch, but lose some mobility then take 2 rail rifles with your pathfinders. You get a better range and more likely to kill those pesky SM, but you can't move and shoot all of your guns;

c) My personal favorite though is the pathfinder 'Kill-team'. It is a very static team (so use terrain efficiently) composed of 3 pathfinder with rail rifle and 1 with carbine (usually go with Shas'ui). The trick here is to settle down (since you cannot move and shoot) and take advantage of the longer range and the Target lock while the regular pathfinder paint other people with his markerlight. The fish just go about an annoy people, assist with deep strike meanwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floobosaurus
I'm pretty sure Sniper Drones have Target Locks as well.
Yes they do.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 13:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've been using pathfinders with railrifles since the latest codex. I usually run a 6 man team with 3 rail rifles and three markerlights. Both have a 36" range, all have TL, so this is potentially 6 different targets effected by one unit. This in itself is both good and bad, since I can mark one thing alot or three things once/shoot ap3 sniper shots at three different targets or one major target 3 times (say a chaplain on a bike in front of his army)/or shoot all 6 at a potential nightmare about to happen (say 10 assault marines in cover less than 18" from my crisis suits). The bad thing is that those who know, also know to shoot down the pathfinders first...

I have found that I need all of my heavy slots for things that take on enemy heavies, so I run 2 BS and 2 ionheads. This leaves no room for sniperdrone teams. The sniperdrones are great, cheap, and effective, but I just can't give up the slot and run the risk of loosing more versitile firepower.

Tactically, I try to place the snipers behind some FW and in cover, yet close enough to start marking on turn 1. This means they will be targetable on turn 1, so the FW at least cause a target priority test. It isn't much of a defense, but better IMO than waiting until turn two to fire the lights.

On taking casualties, I tend to remove whichever is less important earlier in the game and markerlights later on. If facing nids, for example, I'll take rifles early since I need to insure maximum BS from firewarriors and thus need maximum lights on targets. If facing space marines, I'll more than likely take the lights because 3 ap3 rifles can worry SM more than FW shooting (they get no save with the RR). Later in the game, the lights are less necessary, as usually large and/or fast targets are dead; however, there is always room for another rail rifle shot to help reduce enemy lingerers to below 50% (say that devistator squad of Hbolters that went ignored all game).

Of course I hate the required fish, but they never bother with it. The fish flys around drawing fire and lending a reroll to my deepstriking drone squadrons if needed.

So, personally I love them, use them, and would hate to loose their value in 5th ed.

Fishpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 20:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpaste
I've been using pathfinders with railrifles since the latest codex. I usually run a 6 man team with 3 rail rifles and three markerlights. Both have a 36" range, all have TL, so this is potentially 6 different targets effected by one unit. This in itself is both good and bad, since I can mark one thing alot or three things once/shoot ap3 sniper shots at three different targets or one major target 3 times (say a chaplain on a bike in front of his army)/or shoot all 6 at a potential nightmare about to happen (say 10 assault marines in cover less than 18" from my crisis suits). The bad thing is that those who know, also know to shoot down the pathfinders first...
Ok maybe it's just me reading wrong...but how can you target 6 different target when regular pathfinder doesn't have Target lock (only the shas'ui could get one by buying a hardwired target-lock)?

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 22:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovash745
For the price, I'd much rather use the sniper teams (with their stealth & networked marker). If I've used up my heavy support choices, then I can still buy 2 or 3 piranhas (which I believe are much more effective than pathfinders at killing things directly & they draw fire like it's no one's business) for about the same price as a rail rifle pathfinder team.
The Gear Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2008, 23:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I run 2x Pathfinder squads of 8 with 2 rail rifles in each. They have never let me down. And with use of markerlights I have pinned 2-4 enemy squads per turn.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote