Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A thought!
Closed Thread
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default A thought!

How bout my Commander in crisis battlesuite, equiped with hardwired dronecontroller and 2 gundrones join a squad of 8 gundrones? that would make 10 gundrones and 1 commander... Is this thought just plain stupid or is it in general a good idea... I'm thinking harassment of the highest possible level here

/stofo
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: A thought!

I believe that if he has the drones he no longer has IC status and can't join a unit. I may be wrong, I don't bother with drones except as fast attack so can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Yes, he may join other units even when he has drones. It's part of the special rules detailed in the Codex (page 18; Controlled Drones)

It used to be a good idea to do this, for your Shas'el or Shas'o for quick protection and basically a hunk of meat to chew through while he stands out in the open and just harasses away with the best weaponry available. However, majority saves and toughness killed this setup in 4th edition for many people. It can still work, but if your opponent wishes to really destroy that suit plus his new little retinue of gundrones, it will be easy for him to do so. Over-saturation of your unit with fire can force your commander to take some pain due to majority saves/toughness. Granted, it'll take a lot of that, but it's still something to think about. A commander with 10 drones facing down a couple heavy bolters and lascannons will lose those drones in 2 turns probably. Then you'll be below 50% starting strength and taking moral checks on Ld9 for a while. At the end, you may only have a few gundrones left, in which case over-saturation becomes inevitable and you may lose your suit to too many lascannons hitting the squad at once and forcing your commander to make a save, which he then fails and is instakilled.

Highest levels of harassment, in my opinion, come from a Shas'El or Shas'O (your choice) with no retinue and no drones, completely independent. As such, they cannot be targeted at all unless they're the closest model to the enemy. If they hang back a little bit behind another squad, they'll be quite a nuisance. And if you take two of them, it's double the trouble for twice the price...
Old 18 Apr 2005, 14:45   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

There is something people tend to forget when they do this.* If you lose 5 drones, then not only will you be taking leadership checks at -1, but if you do fail a test, your commander will get dragged off the board with them.* Independant characters can not leave a unit that is falling back, and they won't be able to regroup if they lose that many drones.* I don't think bonding on the HQ will help in this case, either.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 17:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actually, that thought is discussed on the GW Tau: Tactica portion of their website...I find it very entertaining when someone has to shoot through 10 drones to touch my commander...
Old 18 Apr 2005, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

yeah, but they dont ^-^, the 11th hit in this case goes to the commander(10 drones then him), then the 12th si selected by the opponent ^-^.

and the old Fallback syndrome is a risk, definitely not safer than just IC'ing with a drone unit (or almost anthing else ^-^)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Highest levels of harassment, in my opinion, come from a Shas'El or Shas'O (your choice) with no retinue and no drones, completely independent.* As such, they cannot be targeted at all unless they're the closest model to the enemy.* If they hang back a little bit behind another squad, they'll be quite a nuisance.* And if you take two of them, it's double the trouble for twice the price...
I'm real satisfied with your answer and the others aswell.. I'm new to the game and has recently memorized most of the stuff in the core rulebook and the tau codex. I played Space Wolfs 8 years ago and a lot has changed since then. I've been putting out a bunch of money on my tau army and when I've got all the stuff I want I'll buy a special Crisis suit from Frogeworld.co.uk and make it my commander. Fancy discussing the different crisissuits available in Imperial Armor with me? It seems like XV81 CRISIS BATTLESUIT is a good choice for an idependant commander..?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

IMO, dont use the FW crisis rules, just use the Spangly model and the normal rules, that way theres no possibility for any whinging :P.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
IMO, dont use the FW crisis rules, just use the Spangly model and the normal rules, that way theres no possibility for any whinging :P.
I don't agree.. The normal models look like ill-design toys... The broadsides are a joke... It's like some kid just put icecreamsickles on each side of the jetpack...
Anyway, I want something extraordinary as a commander and a normal model IMO just won't do I do agree with u on using it as a normal Shas'o/el as acording
in the codex.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, using a beefed up FW model for the commander is nice...
P.S: What does IMO mean?
Closed Thread