Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just starting the Tau
Closed Thread
Old 18 Apr 2005, 05:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Just starting the Tau

G'day fellas.

I'm just starting the Tau army, and i would appreciate any comments or ways I could use my army a lot better.

My idea for my army was a Mechanised Tau force. Everything has Jetpacks, failing that, a Devilfish. My force consist of;
1 Shas'o
3 x Crisis suits
6 x Stealth Suits
4 x 6 Firewarrior Teams with Devilfish Transport each
1 x Pathfinder, 3 Railrifles, Devilfish
2 x 8 Drone Squadrons
2 x Hammerheads with Ion Cannons
1 x Hammerhead with Railgun

My idea how to use this was to have the Firewarriors, Hammerheads and pathfinders on a refused flank, allowing them to target at one threatening unit per turn, effectively destroying it (in theory). The Hammerheads would provide support for this. The Drones, Stealth suits and Crisis suits would be on the flanks, harassing the enemy. When the enemy gets to close, the Drones, Stealthies and Crisis suits would charge into combat, effectively looking the entire enemy army in there, allowing the Devilfishes and Hammerheads to pack up and move to a new location.

If the enemy decides to charge the drones, stealthies or Crisis Suits, then good, this means the attacking force is attacking the wrong part of my army, still allowing me to fire at anything that gets to close.

I was also thinking of making the Hammerheads 'roam', as with multi-trackers, they can move 12", and still fire their full compliment of Weaponry, allowing them to Target threatening 'Big Boys' of the other armies.

What do you think?
Old 18 Apr 2005, 05:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Just starting the Tau

Sounds like a solid plan to me. Go for it and good luck. ;D

I second the idea of being very agressive with the hammerheads. They are great battle-tanks, and can get in the way of the enemy without blocking LOS to your own battle line.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I should state that the above army is 2000pts.

The only problem i can see with Agressive HH, is that i may lose the bait i need for the army to head towards the Firewarriors, then my plan i have may not work. However, im thinking after i have been forced to move my Warriors, that my tanks can go into agressive hunting mode.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

6 man fire warrior teams are pretty risky, I think. What are your crisis suits armed with and what role do you need them to fufill?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 18 Apr 2005, 07:11   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hq Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Shield

One Elite choise
as above.

These boys take out the 'biger' guys of the enemy, like terminators...etc.

The other boys,
Burst Cannon, Missile pod - Anti-infanty and can hit Light Tanks if called on too.

I think the smaller squads are quite cool, allowing for more firepower to be spread out if need be, and if the enemy concentrates their firepower and destroyes one completly, it is only 6 Firewarriors.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 07:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyder
Hq Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Shield

One Elite choise
as above.

These boys take out the 'biger' guys of the enemy, like terminators...etc.

The other boys,
Burst Cannon, Missile pod - Anti-infanty and can hit Light Tanks if called on too.

I think the smaller squads are quite cool, allowing for more firepower to be spread out if need be, and if the enemy concentrates their firepower and destroyes one completly, it is only 6 Firewarriors.
Do you have a hardwired multi-tracker for the HQ as well?

For their point investment, Crisis suits are very dangerous to use as anti infantry - stealth suits are much better (and easier to keep alive). The only suit squad I endorse is the twinlinked Missile pod variant with target locks. It keeps the points down and you can hide them easier after they fire due to the extended range.

Smaller squads are nice, sure... for marines. Tau don't have very resiliant grunt troops, and one stray heavy bolter will cause your squad to break and check leadership - which is only 7 due to no captain upgrade. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to devote an 80 point transport to 6 men. Plus, with 3 Ballistic skills it's not like you're going to completely drop anything at full range or rapid fire range barring weaker troops. I don't see too much value in dilluting the shots from firewarriors.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 18 Apr 2005, 07:32   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh, i have Stealth Suits. Cant go wrong with 18 shots of justice.

My primary use of the suits is to either
a) Distract a portion of the enemy firepower
b) Engage in HtH with Drones to stall enemy advance / allow forces to move and re-establish Battle line
c) Be completly ignored, and wittle the forces down for the bulk of my army to hit em down.

THey are there to be Irratating, not for major damage. My main cause of Damage is going to be the 4x6 squads of Firewarriors, the HH, and the Stealthies.

Personally, i have allways been a fan of smaller squads, as in point scoring games with Table Edges etc, i have more flexability, and i can tear an enemy right up as the move around to engage 5 differant portions of my army, and if i keep concentrated firepower, a lot of Damage can be done.

I used to do it with my old Tau army. Worked a treat.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 11:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Goyder:

For a 2,000 point list, I would be a little concerned with a heavy amount of min/maxed Firewarriors mounted in Devilfish, followed by the other units. I understand the idea behind it, but I think the "all" approach hurts your list. I think a single extra 6xFirewarrior team in a Devilfish is perfectly fine, but not really 4 sets of them. I would probably recommend 2 squads like you have, and 2 full squads mounted instead. Anyone who's packing anti-tank material will give you a seriously bad day as it is.

My only other concern is anti-tank weaponry. What do you do about the 14 armors? I don't know who your opponents are or what kinds of games you're playing, but it's just something to note at the 2,000 point level that a single Railgun may be nice, but may not be enough if your opponent guns it down first to deny you the ability to deal with their Landraider Crusader full of really nasty contents who can now freely roam around and tank shock and destroy anything in their sight. Even worse would be a Monolith roaming around.

I tend to expect a few more aggressive Fusion Blaster suits to make up for lack of armor penetration at this level. Though minimized Firewarriors, mounted, with grenades could be an interesting method and quite a surprise to an opponent... who would have thought it'd work!

However, if you're not facing high armor values very often, then by all means, stick to your plan. The Ion Cannons are top notch I take it you're not facing much more than marines very often? So in that case, other than the occasional land raider you shouldn't be having any real problems.

Good luck!
Old 19 Apr 2005, 02:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like the ideas, but i want to go a Mechanised Tau army, no matter the cost. Nothing on foot. However, (this is my shame) I'm in love with the Devilfish tank. It looks so good....Hence my attempt to put as many as i can in.

I really love that idea for the FW though, I'm sure most people would never see it coming at all. Another idea i can pull off, is to fly over the tank, release the FW, and 12 shots at the rear armour of a tank. That could deal some damage.

I have to admit, i play a lot of "light" armies, Nids, Orks, Dark Eldar etc. and only the odd space marine army. However, I do believe you are right about my lack of anti-tank, and i think i will remove an Ion Cannon HH and add a Rail Gun HH. I just don't know where I'm going to get the extra points from. Maybe i will remove a Drone squadron, or make a min squad.

Hmmm, I'll think about that one.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I commented on the list in your other Thread, I dont play 2000pts if I can help it myself (takes far too long) but have a read of the Tau Bible in my sig, enlightening

and 6 man teams are fine, I can hook you up with some literature to support them if you want.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread