Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

railgun or ion cannon?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default railgun or ion cannon?

for a hammerhead tank (i'm going to buy two i think) do i go for the Ion Cannon or the more expensive Railgun?

or do i go for the Skyray (which i feel is rather useles since i'm already loading up my vehicles with seeker missiles, and most of the shas'ui have markerlights)

which of these heavy support tanks should i go with?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: railgun or ion cannon?

It largely depends on your opponents and the rest of your army.

If you have already Broadsides, the Ioncannon is a good and cheap way to deal with MEQs and light vehicles.

If you`re pure Mech, a Railhead is necessary for anti-tank duty - and let`s not forget the submunition rounds, which are rgeat against hordes, as well.

The only advice I can give you is get a couple of magnets and magnetise the weapons. This way, you can easily swap them, and use the right weapon for the right opponent.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally in my mech tau army I have 2x Hammerheads and both have the Ion Cannon. I find the Ion cannon the best weapon for this tank. The railgun version is too many points for a single shot str 10 weapon that misses 33% of the time.

Broadsides work so much better for anti tank and seeker missles on things like piranhas can help out with anti-tank hunting.

With the maneuverability of the hammerhead you should be able to get off side armor shots and the Ion Cannon is great for that.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I second Bonesaw's advice. Definately build it so you can switch.

I play a mech army and used to go with only railheads but the longer I have played the more I like the ionhead and I have started playing lists with 3 of these tanks and leaving fusion blaster pirhana for av 13-14 and getting side shots with the ionhead.
With my 6 deathrains and commanders I love putting out 25 bs4 or better str 7 shots.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Really, it depends on the list at the moment. Do what everyone suggests and magnetize.

I don't know if you realize it yet, but buy the Sky Ray box set. It gives you extra bits over the Hammerhead box (it contains all the HH sprues and should be the same price). If you ever planned on making one ...you'd have had to buy the thing anyways.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Really its a matter of preference, and who you are playing. There was a good guide here on how to magnetize the weapons on a hammerhead and also how to make it double as a devilfish, so if someone could find that i think it would be a big help.

Me personally, i have never used the Ion cannon. I don't play against enough +3 armor. Believe it or not there is only one SMurf player in my area. So i tend to use the hammerhead for heavy armor duties and swarm control. I feel that a Railhead with marklights backing it up is the best way to go but i don't have much experience with that as i have dropped markerlights from my list in favor of other things.

Basically, if you magnetize your hammerhead, you can then tailor your list to who you are playing. But if you need to choose one over the other i recommend the railhead combined with a couple of markerlights to offset the chance of a miss, Its really too expensive to do otherwise.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 05:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

in my army I run two broadsides, which in my past games has been more than enough to deal with the heavy armor. so I run two ionheads as well for anti MEQ and light tank/transport duty. works well, just love unloading these two tanks into a chaos rapter unit of nurgle (about a 300 point unit), "ohh I wound you on 2+ and it is AP3, bye bye rapters lol"
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I built both my hammerheads so they could switch but I rarely use the Ion cannon. You could always get one of the FW turrets, the fusion and plasma turrets are my personal favourites as they can both devastate terminator squads, I field the Missile pods sometimes as well.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

well i have already got two broadsides, and as said in this thread, thats more than enough for anti tank, i'm thinking i'm gonna go for 1 of each, i.e. one ion cannon and one railgun, because i think the submuntion would be handy vs guardsmen or the overlooming nids which my brother is threatening to collect.

thanks very much
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

both have their uses i have 2 hammer heads, one with the railgun, and the other with the ion cannon, and a skyray too. I always like to be prepared

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote