Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Positional Relay Rules...
Reply
Old 28 Mar 2008, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 89
Default Positional Relay Rules...

Ok, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I tried Searching for it and came up with 100's of army list posts.
If someone has a link to an old topic please let me know.

I have seen a few posts on the way people think the positional relay is used, and I don't think the interpretation is correct.

Most people seem to think that if you have a suit with the positional relay in reserves you can bring that suit onto the board on a 2+.

One line in the rules states "as long as the bearer is on the table". This would make me believe that if you placed a unit of stealth's on the table and their was a shas'vre with positional relay in the team, you could bring 1 other unit a turn, starting on turn 2, onto the table on a 2+. But if you use it, you sacrifice the ability to bring on other units from standard reserves that turn. Thus limiting you to one unit a turn. but you would be able to specify which unit that was. So it would be useful in escalation to bring in a unit on the second and third turn, after which it would be less valuable then simply rolling to bring on more units. and if using it in conjunction with a pathfinder devilfish, you could bring in a very specific crises team from deep strike on the second turn with a re-roll to your scatter.

Am I missing something or is this the correct interpretation of that rule set?
Gamekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 3,435
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekanik
Ok, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I tried Searching for it and came up with 100's of army list posts.
If someone has a link to an old topic please let me know.

I have seen a few posts on the way people think the positional relay is used, and I don't think the interpretation is correct.

Most people seem to think that if you have a suit with the positional relay in reserves you can bring that suit onto the board on a 2+.

One line in the rules states "as long as the bearer is on the table". This would make me believe that if you placed a unit of stealth's on the table and their was a shas'vre with positional relay in the team, you could bring 1 other unit a turn, starting on turn 2, onto the table on a 2+. But if you use it, you sacrifice the ability to bring on other units from standard reserves that turn. Thus limiting you to one unit a turn. but you would be able to specify which unit that was. So it would be useful in escalation to bring in a unit on the second and third turn, after which it would be less valuable then simply rolling to bring on more units. and if using it in conjunction with a pathfinder devilfish, you could bring in a very specific crises team from deep strike on the second turn with a re-roll to your scatter.

Am I missing something or is this the correct interpretation of that rule set?
You`re right, only two comments:

You don`t HAVE to use the Relay.

Stealth Vres can take no Special Issue gear, tehrefore no Positional Relay.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:35   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 89
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

Well, That was a first. I guess I never realized that. all the vre in the stealth team does is allow you a marker light. huh. Thanks!
[/quote]
Stealth Vres can take no Special Issue gear, tehrefore no Positional Relay.
[/quote]
Gamekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Behind you... No, not that way, the other way...
Posts: 1,277
Send a message via MSN to halohog
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

No, all a stealth 'Vre does is get another point of weapon skill. You only need the team leader upgrade for anything else...
__________________
This is not a signature.
halohog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 19:26   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

You do need a model on the table to use the Positional Relay. That much is very clear in the rules.

But yeah, you can simply stop using the Relay if you want to bring more units down.

People get a little confused about what the Positional Relay actually does. The fact that you only bring one unit down at a time is not just a penalty. It is actually part of the primary purpose of the system. The automatic 2+ is just there to make this tactic viable. The Relay gives you an ability that no other army in the game has, which is that it allows you to reliably bring down reserves in the second half of the game. Everyone else will usually have all of their reserves down by turn 4. With the Positional Relay and one or two units of drones, you can hold back reserves until precisely when they are needed. You can also use it to drop Drone squadrons onto objectives and table quarters your opponent thought were safely uncontested. The key concept is control.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

in a normal game reserves arrive when you roll X on a D6. Does the positional relay mean that you can ignore this rule and bring in a unit whenever you want?

but thats only when you decide to use it, other than that normal rules apply?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Many Bothans died to bring this thread back on topic
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

Whenever you use the Positional Relay, the unit comes in on a 2+, regardless of what turn it is (after turn 1, of course). But you can only pick one of the units you have in Reserve at that time.

If you choose not to use the Relay at the beginning of the turn, you roll for all of your reserves as normal.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

thats actually real useful, i'm gonna put a positional relay on my commander right now
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Many Bothans died to bring this thread back on topic
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 272
Send a message via MSN to ACE666
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

So does that mean if you use a Positional Relay to bring in a unit on a 2+, you can't bring in anymore reserves that turn,

or are the following reserves brought in on the normal roll (i.e. Turn 2 = 4+, etc)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by §PEEDFRE@K
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Deployed to Afghanistan
Posts: 414
Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE666
So does that mean if you use a Positional Relay to bring in a unit on a 2+, you can't bring in anymore reserves that turn,

or are the following reserves brought in on the normal roll (i.e. Turn 2 = 4+, etc)
The Codex says that if you choose to use the Position Relay, then the unit you roll for, whether it comes in or not, is the only one you can choose to roll for.
__________________
"Our suits make us look bad-ass, and you know it!"
-XV-15, Dawn of War: Winter Assault mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Positional Relay???? For The Greater of Gold Tau 4 04 May 2009 00:40
Positional relay Wu-Tang-Tau Tau 11 27 Apr 2009 01:09
Positional Relay - What is it? rider_eragon Tau 20 11 Aug 2008 11:31
To put the positional relay or not.... crisis_vyper Tau 11 09 Apr 2007 09:24
Positional relay??? shasocastris Tau 11 23 Jun 2006 20:17