Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Positional Relay Rules...
Old 28 Mar 2008, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Positional Relay Rules...

Ok, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I tried Searching for it and came up with 100's of army list posts.
If someone has a link to an old topic please let me know.

I have seen a few posts on the way people think the positional relay is used, and I don't think the interpretation is correct.

Most people seem to think that if you have a suit with the positional relay in reserves you can bring that suit onto the board on a 2+.

One line in the rules states "as long as the bearer is on the table". This would make me believe that if you placed a unit of stealth's on the table and their was a shas'vre with positional relay in the team, you could bring 1 other unit a turn, starting on turn 2, onto the table on a 2+. But if you use it, you sacrifice the ability to bring on other units from standard reserves that turn. Thus limiting you to one unit a turn. but you would be able to specify which unit that was. So it would be useful in escalation to bring in a unit on the second and third turn, after which it would be less valuable then simply rolling to bring on more units. and if using it in conjunction with a pathfinder devilfish, you could bring in a very specific crises team from deep strike on the second turn with a re-roll to your scatter.

Am I missing something or is this the correct interpretation of that rule set?
Gamekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Positional Relay Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekanik
Ok, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I tried Searching for it and came up with 100's of army list posts.
If someone has a link to an old topic please let me know.

I have seen a few posts on the way people think the positional relay is used, and I don't think the interpretation is correct.

Most people seem to think that if you have a suit with the positional relay in reserves you can bring that suit onto the board on a 2+.

One line in the rules states "as long as the bearer is on the table". This would make me believe that if you placed a unit of stealth's on the table and their was a shas'vre with positional relay in the team, you could bring 1 other unit a turn, starting on turn 2, onto the table on a 2+. But if you use it, you sacrifice the ability to bring on other units from standard reserves that turn. Thus limiting you to one unit a turn. but you would be able to specify which unit that was. So it would be useful in escalation to bring in a unit on the second and third turn, after which it would be less valuable then simply rolling to bring on more units. and if using it in conjunction with a pathfinder devilfish, you could bring in a very specific crises team from deep strike on the second turn with a re-roll to your scatter.

Am I missing something or is this the correct interpretation of that rule set?
You`re right, only two comments:

You don`t HAVE to use the Relay.

Stealth Vres can take no Special Issue gear, tehrefore no Positional Relay.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:35   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, That was a first. I guess I never realized that. all the vre in the stealth team does is allow you a marker light. huh. Thanks!
[/quote]
Stealth Vres can take no Special Issue gear, tehrefore no Positional Relay.
[/quote]
Gamekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

No, all a stealth 'Vre does is get another point of weapon skill. You only need the team leader upgrade for anything else...
Old 29 Mar 2008, 19:26   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

You do need a model on the table to use the Positional Relay. That much is very clear in the rules.

But yeah, you can simply stop using the Relay if you want to bring more units down.

People get a little confused about what the Positional Relay actually does. The fact that you only bring one unit down at a time is not just a penalty. It is actually part of the primary purpose of the system. The automatic 2+ is just there to make this tactic viable. The Relay gives you an ability that no other army in the game has, which is that it allows you to reliably bring down reserves in the second half of the game. Everyone else will usually have all of their reserves down by turn 4. With the Positional Relay and one or two units of drones, you can hold back reserves until precisely when they are needed. You can also use it to drop Drone squadrons onto objectives and table quarters your opponent thought were safely uncontested. The key concept is control.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

in a normal game reserves arrive when you roll X on a D6. Does the positional relay mean that you can ignore this rule and bring in a unit whenever you want?

but thats only when you decide to use it, other than that normal rules apply?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Whenever you use the Positional Relay, the unit comes in on a 2+, regardless of what turn it is (after turn 1, of course). But you can only pick one of the units you have in Reserve at that time.

If you choose not to use the Relay at the beginning of the turn, you roll for all of your reserves as normal.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

thats actually real useful, i'm gonna put a positional relay on my commander right now
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

So does that mean if you use a Positional Relay to bring in a unit on a 2+, you can't bring in anymore reserves that turn,

or are the following reserves brought in on the normal roll (i.e. Turn 2 = 4+, etc)
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE666
So does that mean if you use a Positional Relay to bring in a unit on a 2+, you can't bring in anymore reserves that turn,

or are the following reserves brought in on the normal roll (i.e. Turn 2 = 4+, etc)
The Codex says that if you choose to use the Position Relay, then the unit you roll for, whether it comes in or not, is the only one you can choose to roll for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote