Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Refused Flank Tactic used by Tau
Old 28 Mar 2008, 21:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Refused Flank Tactic used by Tau

I have not ever played as a Tau player. Forgive my tactical ignorance.

Have you played or considered playing a Refused Flank game as Tau? I brought this up in a post on the Vespid and then realised I wasn't sure how or if Refused Flank functioned with the various Tau builds. It seems like it could be a very effective tactic, but not having actually played Tau I defer to the experts. Perhaps it the the basis of one of the named existing tactics, but I did not find anything under "refused flank" or "flank denial", so I'm shooting this one out there.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Refused Flank Tactic used by Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behdini
I have not ever played as a Tau player. Forgive my tactical ignorance.

Have you played or considered playing a Refused Flank game as Tau? I brought this up in a post on the Vespid and then realised I wasn't sure how or if Refused Flank functioned with the various Tau builds. It seems like it could be a very effective tactic, but not having actually played Tau I defer to the experts. Perhaps it the the basis of one of the named existing tactics, but I did not find anything under "refused flank" or "flank denial", so I'm shooting this one out there.
Forgiven. Especially when you realise that I have not played Tau either. That said, Mechanised Tau are, generally speaking, the third fastest army, with the Dark Eldar and Saim-Hann Eldar being the two faster ones. Refused flank really only works well if you are faster than your opponent, therefore the two eldar forces can build an army around it, whereas the Tau can use it, but they need a backup plan for fighting against these two armies.

Beyond that, How much faster than your opponents you are also matters. The Eldar forces often move at least 6" faster, and sometimes up to 12" faster than the Tau forces. On the other hand, Tau are most often moving at the same speed as the faster units of space marines, tyranids, orks, or chaos.

Tau will therefore not be able to do a refused flank vs. white scars or ravenwing space marines, Orc speed freaks style armies, necron destroyer hordes, or similar forces who can easily move 12" while still able to fight, and/or faster if they need to.

Against a static shooty army, a melee nidzilla army, or a necron phalanx, Tau refused flank could work, and should be considered. Against most other armies, you must first neutralize the faster elements of their army, then it can be effectively used, if there is still enough turns in the game to make it viable.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 23:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Refused Flank is actually one of my main tactics, and, contrary to what Brown Knight says, it can also work against faster opponents - especially melee oriented ones (DE come to my mind).

Usually, it is not only my preferred tactic, it is also a necessary choice - with 4+ tanks and loads of Crisis on the board, I need a lot of cover to hide behind, and this makes spreading out often a necessity.

So, yes, refused flank works fine, and is often used.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've used a form of Refused Flank against Mech/Hybrid Eldar on numerous occasions, and I've been able to at least force a draw every time.

The reason it works is that 40k is balanced in such a way that fast armies tend to be less durable, have shorter range and less firepower than slow or static armies. In the case of Tau, the only armies that can seriously outmanouver you are Eldar and Dark Eldar. Both these armies, when mechanized need to get in fairly close to do any real damage. Since the Refused Flank is a strategy based on distance, it can be adapted defensively to buy you time. Regardless of your opponent's speed, forcing him to cross a longer distance to reach you means more shooting time for you before he reaches assault. Also, a defensive, running battle usually results in the separation and thinning out of the attacker, meaning that even if he catches you, he may not actually be able to kill you before the 6 turns run out.

Sometimes if a faster opponent does a refused flank on you, you can counter by swinging your mobile forces out in the opposite direction. This effectively rotates the table and, if you're lucky, allows you to take out his most mobile units and level the playing field.

I think it's funny that in the last little while, I've found myself backing up CmdrBonesaw a lot, LOL.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Excuse my tactical ignorance, but what is a Refused flank Tactic?
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

A refused flank is where you set up as much of your army as possible in one corner of the board.
The fact that your entire army is now clustered in area of about 1.5 square feet means you can move around tightly grouped and will most likely have overwhelming local fire superiority.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for that, RZ.

To me that sounds extremely vulnerable to running straight off the board, especially with an army like Tau where you have to make frequent morale tests.
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubgum
Thanks for that, RZ.

To me that sounds extremely vulnerable to running straight off the board, especially with an army like Tau where you have to make frequent morale tests.
Unless you're using MechTau…
When four or five or more Tau vehicles roll up one flank, with limited lines of fire to them, there's not much an opponent can really do about it.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Plus you do your best with your shooting to eliminate the things that might make you run. The range on a pulse rifle helps you do that. I use a refused flank with my Eldar.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Refused Flank is often used with Fleet or other speedy units balanced on the opposite flank of the intended "refused" bit and something misleadingly deployed in the centre of the board. This causes your opponent to deploy normally - you apparently are deploying "regularly", then on your first turn you move your fast units ("bait") and your slower centrally-deployed units ("misdirection units") all into the Refused Flank with the rest of your army. No matter how fast your enemy is, you'll still beat them back to your own line.

With a normally-deployed enemy army, this enables you to totally chew up one of their flanks before they can even get their units redeployed. It's why I asked about Vespid and/or Kroot... Vespid could be threatening enough with entrenched Kroot to be good bait and Kroot could use terrain to hack away from another direction from deep in cover, forcing your enemies either into an even tighter fire lane (out of Kroot range) or to recklessly scatter by sending units after your kroot, who can doubtless leave them in the dust if they are in cover.