Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mixed XV teams, Against all conventional wisdom?
Old 28 Mar 2008, 15:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Mixed XV teams, Against all conventional wisdom?

Let me preface by stating I am not a tournament gamer.
The hobby is equal parts painting/ modeling and gaming.
I like my units to have character and will get bored palying with cookie cutter units even if they are the most effective. I don't want to lose every game I play either because that would also be boring.

I have been building and painting XV8's for my Farsight army and the first HQ team was going to be 3 bladestorms with TA and HWMT.
But.. I couldn't resist replacing the burst cannon with a CIB on the shas el. I built the firs bodyguard as planned but really think the other bodyguard should be an individual. I was thinking of using a helios for the last suit.

I know that mixed units are taboo, but honestly this looks pretty good to me. They could stand a chance against an ork truk full of boys, a tactical squad, a big ugly MC, even termies. They are good at 18" and deadly at 12". If I lose a suit, I can take out the least effective given the situation. But the maddness does not stop here.
HQ: El Fikeknife7; 2x vre firestorm7
elite: Vre deathrain+afp hwmt, hwtl; 2X Ui Firestorm.
elite: Vre firestorm7; Ui deathrain+ flame; Ui firestorm.

What do you guys think? Are the units good for all comers? Given they are not as efficient as specialized squads, could the redundancy between units be an asset?
Wouldn't the squads look cool?

Old 28 Mar 2008, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Mixed XV teams, Against all conventional wisdom?

I think mixed teams, while less effective against a specific opponent usually have the right weapon for the job whatever you face. it depends really if your regular opponents are the same or if you play a lot of different opponents. Bring BC's for the hordes and PR's for the MEQ's also a few MP's are good for generic targets.

I've not tried this, i think I'm going to bring various weapons on my teams next time I play (should be Monday). I'll let you know how I find it, you'll have to tell us how you find them too. Its something I don't think many people do.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 21:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

You're right about that. Most (everyone else on this forum) people are big fans of multiple deathrain, Fire knife, or firestorms. I understand why it is good, but it is so boring to build and look at 3 of a kind in every squad. I think I might try a bit of both. I'll take a mixed hq squad, One hq that is all the same,one squad of deathrain and a mixed squad for the second elite squad.
After I play a game or two I'll figure out what works best.
Or maybe I'll find that a mixture works pretty well.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 22:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can completely understand why you would want a squad that stands a chance against most units
Old 29 Mar 2008, 02:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've had success runing a Helios squad with a helios-8(twin-linked melta), Burning Eye(/w TA) and "vanilla" helios. It drops off on maximuim melta doom, but I feel the reliability of the twin-linked weapons offsets the disadvantage. After-all, you get to have more reliability. Sure, helios teams /w 2 marker hits have a better chance, but sometimes your pathfinders get killed.

I've also been testing a Deathrain+, Firestorm and Sunfire/Fire knife combo.

The added versitility and/or reliability is nice, I think.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 04:43   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My normal Crisis Suit squad is a Deathrain, a conventional Fireknife, and a Team Leader Fireknife with a drone controller, 2 shield drones, a targeting array, and a bonding knife. And, normally, I run a duplicate squad.

That gives me 6 MP shots at long range, 6 MP shots and 2 PR shots at med range, and 6 MP and 4 PR shots at close range. Since games usually end up with enemies getting closer as the game goes on, the shield drones die first, followed by the Deathrain. At that point, the two Fireknives are usually in rapid-fire range, so the loss of the two MP shots gets traded off for 2 more AP 2 shots.

A single markerlight hit turns the squad's damage from "excellent" to "war crime" due to the Deathrain and TA on the Team Leader. Nobody likes MP shots, especially ones hitting on a 2+ or rerolling on a 3+. And if somebody gets too close with any sort of high-priced elite/HQ unit, the PR shots can chop them up and get out of the way of return fire.

Running multiple asymmetrical units works for me because the Crisis Suits are always major targets. I assume they will take casualties and set them up so that when they start taking hits, I don't lose most of my MP or PR shots in a single volley. However, I run my whole army with redundancy, so this particular tactic probably fits my army better than armies that use more focused units.
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 13:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for your input guys. With all the tactics focussed on specialized teams on the forums, I thought I was a complete moron for considdering mixed units of crisis suits. Now I can see that even if it isn't the popular configuration, mixing complimentary suits together is not completely crazy. Thanks.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 13:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

GS, some good discussions on just this topic can be found here:

Deathrain and Fireknife: Thoughts on Crisis Heavy Builds

Mixed Crisis Units

Crisis Heavy in Low Terrain Environments

Basically, what it comes down to is that XV8's are *really* good, and in a list designed to take advantage of their special abilities, the benefits of massive numbers of Crisis Suits outweigh the disadvantages of having large unit sizes.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 13:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tonka, You are a Tau Genious! I hardly ever see you on this board, but when you show up you always bring some good stuff with you. Thanks man.