Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica against Space Marines & how to read the battlefield.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tauruler1
Default Tactica against Space Marines & how to read the battlefield.

On March 21, 2008, me and my brother played our first Apocalypse battle. 3000+ pts of IG, Tau and Space marines combined vs 3000+ pts of Space Marines. During the battle, tactical errors, poorly placed units and lousy coordination between my units and my ally caused a very embarrassing annihilation of my army. These next few posts will be how to beat space marines from what I learned and how to read a battlefield before placing.

Before we started, I gave the field a quick glimpse and set up. However, the enemy placed scouts because of deep strike. I consentrated everything on them but in doing so, I brought up by devilfish. When the Space Marines fired on it, I forgot one important thing. It had a desruption pod. The Devilfish moved 12 inches however, I forgot to roll to have the penetrating hit. It was immobalized and it fell.
For fear of the SM annihilating the nearby troops, I did not move them but in doing so, they did not have a clear line of sight. When fielding fire warriors, always maintain a clear line of sight.
Also, this idea of mine worked on a previous battle, think formations.
For my army, on that battle, I fielded them in a concave formation and the enemy was charging at the center of the unit. In doing so, the other sides of the concave had range and the advance was effectively cut down. Also, by leap frogging, having one squad stay and shoot as another advanced and reverse procedures on the next turn kept a constant rain of fire and the main troop was effectively defeated.
Try these out and let me know. If you have other ideas, lets hear them.

You can modify your messages and double posting is frowned upon. If you forgot to add something simply edit your previous post to include the new material, you should only double post if your posted material exceeds the space of a single post.
-Vash113
Old 28 Mar 2008, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tauruler1
Default Re: Tactica against Space Marines & how to read the battlefield.

Before we started, I gave the field a quick glimpse and set up. However, the enemy placed scouts because of deep strike. I consentrated everything on them but in doing so, I brought up by devilfish. When the Space Marines fired on it, I forgot one important thing. It had a desruption pod. The Devilfish moved 12 inches however, I forgot to roll to have the penetrating hit. It was immobalized and it fell.
For fear of the SM annihilating the nearby troops, I did not move them but in doing so, they did not have a clear line of sight. When fielding fire warriors, always maintain a clear line of sight.
Also, this idea of mine worked on a previous battle, think formations.
For my army, on that battle, I fielded them in a concave formation and the enemy was charging at the center of the unit. In doing so, the other sides of the concave had range and the advance was effectively cut down. Also, by leap frogging, having one squad stay and shoot as another advanced and reverse procedures on the next turn kept a constant rain of fire and the main troop was effectively defeated.
Try these out and let me know. If you have other ideas, lets hear them.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 17:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

i always find that most marine players also just spam heavy weapons. Yes the heavy bolter is good, but remember, he can only take 1 per squad. It seems to be the pitfall that most marine players fall into, marine squads with heavy weapons, and lots of devastators.

When i play them, i out shoot them, as you outrange the bolter by 6", and a lot of players simply refuse to skip a round of heavy bolter fire. When i am winning the fire fight, i use the leapfrog to move up to objectives. Now the marine player has a dilemma, does he charge towards me, or sit a shoot. if he charges you, use kauyon. The firewarriors as bait, and move everything else forward and massacre him. He he sits back, i stick my fire warriors in cover, near or on the objective, and send my suits and tanks down one flank to take the fight to him. this is my variation of montka.

You may think this is risky, seeing as you can do lots of different marine armies, but surprisingly most people just sit and shoot with heavy weapons, the "ultra marines strategy i call it." Named purely because when i first got my tau, (and more recently my tyranids), i asked loads of random people on G.W for a game. and they all played ultra marines, and did the same thing.

i agree, fire warriors always need line of sight, which is why i use devilfish a lot, to move them to prime firing locations.

Also, i am surprised you did so well in Apocalypse. From the way i see it, tau don't have much going for them in it. My first game, the marine guy just takes a baneblade, and kills ridiculous amounts of models. Its not a question of skill, its how much money you are willing to spend on masses of tanks

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 03:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

OH Shame.................
Since when are Tau defeated by petty space marines?(well obviously since you lost)
If you don't know, the space marines are the ones who should've been annihilated as: if they tried to play a 'shooty' game, they would be out-gunned. If they tried to assault the Tau, they would be out maneuvered and their bikes(who might run after the transports) would be in wrecks after the piranhas have dealt with them......
Lastly, I can't believe you sided with a bunch of imperialists! How could you disturb the Tau's pure name like that?
(Please note: all has been wrote as if I was like some Tau Ethereal [when i'm not] and i really don't mind if you side with your bro. And it doesn't matter if you lose, we all have our bad days.)

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 16:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Lastly, I can't believe you sided with a bunch of imperialists! How could you disturb the Tau's pure name like that?
No, no, dear Ethereal! I'm sure it was the Space Marines and Guard who were working for the Greater Good! I'm sure he was just helping our Gue'vesa friends.

Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by El'lyi'ot
"What course of actions furthers the Greater Good?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
...kill the opponent from as far away as possible, preferably from orbit.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 19:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
No, no, dear Ethereal! I'm sure it was the Space Marines and Guard who were working for the Greater Good! I'm sure he was just helping our Gue'vesa friends.

Right?
No

Unfortunataly (For the Tau at least) Space Marines are trained to be as incorruptible as possible(except maybe to chaos)
Old 05 Apr 2008, 22:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

No mercy to the foul bewilders of chaos!
Man, chaos space marines and daemons really annoy me.
Those lesser daemons get up my nose all the time and the greater daemons are extremely over powered.
Curse chaos!

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote