Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Banshee exarch...not fun
Reply
Old 27 Mar 2008, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 152
Default Banshee exarch...not fun

I was playing a 1000pts game against eldar using tau mobile infantry, something I read about on here. I had very little tank support (one ionhead and a plasmahead) it was all going well, the avatar was down, the falcon was down all he had left was one banshee exarch and about 3 warpspiders. I had all 3 FW teams and the ionhead left...well his turn rolls round and the banshee rolls a 6 for fleet...his spiders teleport next to my ionhead and take it down, his banshee charges and wipes out the fire warriors sweeping into the next unit from another 6. OK the grace was his warpspiders rolled a double 1 to run off, killing one and leaving the rest to be finished by the FW in my turn. but then the banshee kills another 3 fire warriors they break and are swept down. the exarch then moves on and finishes the rest of my warriors...

I hate it when the dice gods turn on me, I shouldn't be so smug when I'm doing well.
__________________
We don't know where we're going and can't remember where we've been.
Kovash745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 423
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

thats no problem, it happens to us all sometimes. well, the fact that he took out the ion hoed with 3 warpspiders is very lucky, 6's to glance i think. the banshee exarch if very powerful, did he give it an executioner? even so, you very very unlucky against, it is only toughness 3 with a 4up save, by itself even fire warriors should be able to kill it.

i have a similar story. I was playing a tyranid player with my tau in 1500pts, i took out all of his army and had 750pts points left myself. he had a brood of 8 genestealers. i was sure i would win, but the genestealers just charged, killed everything, then moved into other stuff. he got a draw out of it. of course i learnt my lessons, not to be smug, and always shoot genestealers
__________________


C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 15:41   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

If the enemy reaches you in combat, ensure that you remove as many men from base contact as possible. If at the end of combat, which you have most likely lost, if none of your models are in base to base with the enemy, and you fail your LD, you can make a 2D6 fall back, and they can only consolidate, rather than the Tau shafting initiative roll.

Should help against that banshee exarch
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
If the enemy reaches you in combat, ensure that you remove as many men from base contact as possible. If at the end of combat, which you have most likely lost, if none of your models are in base to base with the enemy, and you fail your LD, you can make a 2D6 fall back, and they can only consolidate, rather than the Tau shafting initiative roll.

Should help against that banshee exarch
And it is that mindset that made me, a Guard player, get the club to agree on a House Rule that the above does not apply. That is cheap beyond measure.
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:13   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

Those are pretty fundamental rules, though. It is supposed to be balanced by the fact that you give up the ability to make any attacks back, and also that you have to lose a leadership test for it to work. Guard actually have a reason to make return attacks, since they have the ability to bury power fists and power weapons sometimes. So I am not sure why playing Guard would make you a fair judge. The rule is there to limit the power of single models in close combat, and to keep close-combat armies from locking up tougher enemy units by intentionally getting as few models as possible into close combat. Do you drop the cost of Fire Warriors and Guardsmen to compensate? Do you change the distance for determining who is allowed to strike in close combat?
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 400
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

I didn't know about that rule. I'll have to keep that in mind. Could I get a page number reference for it?

However, an even more fundamental rule would be to keep your Fire Warriors far enough apart from each other that the enemy can't pull a trick like that. Or include Crisis suits with shield drones. I've had those kill a ridiculous number of toughness 3 things in close combat.
__________________
"Emperor's Divine Protection Condoms: Sometimes, Faith shouldn't be your only shield. Now available in 'golden throne' gold!"
macboy_geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:28   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
And it is that mindset that made me, a Guard player, get the club to agree on a House Rule that the above does not apply. That is cheap beyond measure.
Oh, yeah its nasty. If I had the ability to hide something that can actually hit in my units, I wouldn't even consider this rule. Basic firewarriors though? Why must a game be decided because the enemy managed to get something with average I into combat with me, and roll through unit after unit?

I question the Initiative rule, rather than this. If the breakaway rule wasn't there, this wouldn't need to be.
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:53   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

My problem with this rule is that it actually rewards failing in combat.

Consider this;

Wraithlord charges Firewarriors. Five Tau in "melee" range. Wraithlord stomps three, Tau lose, Wraithlord wipes them out.

By playing RAW, if the Wraithlord only got three Tau in melee range, and killed them all, the Tau could fall back, and then potentially volley said Wraithlord, whereas if he only killed two he could run down and destroy the entire unit.

I fail to see how this is anything but rule-raping of the most abusive kind. Oh, and my Guard do not have Hidden Powerfists; I play SIGAFH.
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:55   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
I didn't know about that rule. I'll have to keep that in mind. Could I get a page number reference for it?
It's on Page 43 under "sweeping advances and consolidation" second paragraph.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 19:05   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CA, VT, or whatever state I decide to walk to this time.
Posts: 83
Default Re: Banshee exarch...not fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
My problem with this rule is that it actually rewards failing in combat.

Consider this;

Wraithlord charges Firewarriors. Five Tau in "melee" range. Wraithlord stomps three, Tau lose, Wraithlord wipes them out.

By playing RAW, if the Wraithlord only got three Tau in melee range, and killed them all, the Tau could fall back, and then potentially volley said Wraithlord, whereas if he only killed two he could run down and destroy the entire unit.

I fail to see how this is anything but rule-raping of the most abusive kind. Oh, and my Guard do not have Hidden Powerfists; I play SIGAFH.
This is my problem with this example: The entire unit getting wiped out because the wraithlord could only attack three would be stupid. He kills three, the fire warriors get no counterattacks because everyone who could have attacked is dead, then the unit gets swept because they lost combat would be ridiculous.
While this rule does help Tau to a greater extent, it helps other armies a good amount as well. Have a space marine assault squad that lost everyone in the engagement zone? they fall back, then get to charge on the next turn (potentially).
(Also, what does SIGAFH mean?)
__________________
It's time to toss the dice.
theshoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Howling Banshee Exarch: Mirror Swords or Executioner? Jedibean Craftworld Eldar 20 08 Apr 2010 08:06
Banshee help Angel of Death Craftworld Eldar 15 15 Dec 2009 03:31
a howling banshee azr9 Showcase 8 01 Jul 2006 09:18
Banshee Exarch Weapon? FarseerErr Craftworld Eldar 10 17 May 2006 12:47