Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

could this work?
Old 27 Mar 2008, 08:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default could this work?

I just got a new battle suit this week and really want to put the airburst frag launcher on him (what can I say, cluster bombs are fun lol) and I have always liked trying new stuff in 40k and finding a way to make it work. any way I made this mainly for pure humor and fun (for both me and the person I am playing) but was wondering if it had any competitive potental.

shas'el
flamer
airburst frag launcher
shield gen
stimulint injectors
HW multi tracker
HW drone controller
2 shield drones
failsafe detonator

basicly the idea is to deep strike close to a squad using a pathfinder devilfish for a more accurate landing. and letting loose on enemy squads while still being able to take quite a bit of punishment and practicly refuse to die because of the shield gen, shield drones and injectors. and if he does, and he is in combat that means big boom lol. I could always add the iradium armor to boost his surviviblity and anoyence, hopefully taking most of the enemy army to kill him.
so what do you think of this crazy idea? does it have a slim chance of doing something awesome?
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: could this work?

Welcome to the forums!

Keep in mind that the Failsafe Detonator does not go off if the model carrying it dies. He has to lose combat and get to make a fall-back move. For a single character, that means he has to survive the Sweeping Advance first. So it seems like a rather expensive use for a Shas'el if the combat didn't actually kill him.

That would probably sink his effectiveness a bit. Particularly given his high cost. The Fail-safe Detonater is really designed for Bodyguard suits, since they can use it to let a Commander get out of a combat safely, and they don't cost enough that their sacrifice is a problem.

Close-range suits can be fun to play with. This one is a little expensive, so I would try it out a few times before you glue anything down. Keep in mind that you can actually stick all of this stuff on a single-suit Elite choice, too. That might be a better bet if you want to keep the self-destruct.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well I do have my elite slots filled out with a deathrain team, a helios team, and a stealth team. I could make him a body guard for my existing commander (shas'el, cyclic ion, plasma, targeting array, hw mulitracker) to lower his points cost to 139 but than I lose the IC status on my commander. or even take off the failsafe, but than I feel that would take some of the humor out of this suit.
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 09:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i have a shas'o with a few more toys but in a similar vein, that is a dedicated tank hunter.

he is a bit more expensive, but unless you actually assault him, it takes forever to kill him from shooting.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 12:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I would only consider using a flamer and ABFP against Tyranids or Imperial Guard, since neither of those armys has many AP-3 weapons (I don't think Tyranids have any AP-3) then the shield generator is kind of useless. If your not playing against one of those 2 armys then you might need to rethink your weapon config. The failsafe will kill of your commander even if he has only lost 1 shield drone if your unlucky, which is a waste.

I would replace the shield generator with maybe a positional relay, which means you can bring in a reserve on a 2+ which is handy when you have a Hammerhead waiting to come in, or whatever support system suits you. and I would definetly get rid of the failsafe detonator
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
The failsafe will kill of your commander even if he has only lost 1 shield drone if your unlucky, which is a waste.
Remember that the usage of the Failsafe Generator is a choice. It doesn't go off automatically if you lose an assault and fall back. You have to deliberately trigger it. That is actually another point, though. I think you have to fail your leadership check to be able to use it. So a Shas'el might have a hard time getting it to go off. It really isn't a well-written piece of wargear.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 10:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've always played that it goes off automatically, it dosn't really make it clear, but I would never field it on the commander, always a bodyguard. Who would choose to kill their commander? I think he could do more damage if he stayed alive, even if he had 1 wound left.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 19:39   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
I've always played that it goes off automatically, it dosn't really make it clear, but I would never field it on the commander, always a bodyguard.
The relevant sentence reads that the detonator may be triggered. So you don't have to use it if you accidentally lost combat to a handful of grots. :funny: