Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has anyone ever tried this with Fire Warriors?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 18:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Has anyone ever tried this with Fire Warriors?

I am quite sure I've read others talking about using a FW unit similar to this before, I'm not sure if it was on this forum or not.

8 FW w/ Shas'ui, 2 pulse carbines, EMP grenades, 2 Gun drones or 1 gun and 1 shield drone all in a warfish.

Would this "high speed" FW squad work? I haven't ever tried it, but it looks like a lot of fun.

I think it would work quite well for me as I usually play other mech armies, i.e. CSM or SM using a fair amount of rhinos, orks using trukks and battlewagons, or mech eldar.

I'm just not entirely sure how the EMP grenades work, do I have to charge the vehicle? Or do I have to just be in assault range to use them?

All comments are welcome! Thanks guys.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas
Default Re: Has anyone ever tried this with Fire Warriors?

firstly welcome to the website

on you Q I love EMP grenades, especially against heavy tanks like LRC's as they glance on 4+'s and pen on 6's. that's almost S10!! you do have to charge to use the so the warfish won't be much use.
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

i don't understand what you mean by 2 pulse rifles. Do you mean that the rest of the squad is equipped with pulse carbines.

I have used squads like this, they are very useful against dark eldar, so you chase them , and gun them down. They can run, but they can't hide >

To answer your question, you use emp grenades when assaulting a vehicle. it says in the codex, they hit in the same way as melta bombs and grenades. In most circumstances you will be hitting the vehicles on a 4+, so a full squad will get 2 glancing and 1 penetrating hit. this can quite easily kill, and will defiantly put it it out of action for a turn or two.

I usually get railguns to do the hard work, and send in fire warriors late game to mop up the immobilised, etc

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 19:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I actually meant 2 pulse carbines, as I want to run two gun drones so I figure 4 pulse carbines, two which are twin linked, should be enough to get some pinning checks through out the game. The rest have rifles so their FOF capabilities aren't completely diminished.

Old 25 Mar 2008, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm actually thinking of running similar squads, except with all carbines, to get a more 'mobile infantry' feel.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 00:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The drones are a bit of a waste, aren't they? Their's no real difference between a drone with a carbine and a FW with a carbine.

The unit sounds okay, but not really spectacular. If only they could assault out of those vehicles with the EMP's >. Personally I sometimes take a 6 man team with EMP's and all carbines. They can just run across the board, and when a target presents itself, they can chuck their EMP's at it. For the most part though, its just a fear tactic. Keeps my LR wielding opponent worrying about where I stashed those EMPs.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 02:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually, BS 2 gun drones hit at 54 or 56%, i can't remember. Its cause they be twin linked. So 6% better accuracy, and a higher initiative makes it better for the same amount of points if you want to go the carbine route.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 02:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If you are wanting a squad that is on the move frequently, if not the whole game, you may consider just giving them all Carbines and EMP grenades, that way while they are running around you still have 10 18" range shots, compared to 4. Since it's a small squad you'll probably have larger ones dedicated to being a firing base anyways.
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 07:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

Hi, I think the idea you have is very reasonable and can be effective(in my mind) but I have a question regarding the Pulse Carbines.
Does every shot that hits a target make a pinning test, e.g 10 Pulse Carbines are shot and 7 shots hit their targets. Does this mean that the opponent's unit that got shot have to take 7 pinning tests?
And: If 5 of the 7 shots wound, does this mean that the opponent's unit being wounded must take a further 5 pinning tests?

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 07:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Hi, I think the idea you have is very reasonable and can be effective(in my mind) but I have a question regarding the Pulse Carbines.
Does every shot that hits a target make a pinning test, e.g 10 Pulse Carbines are shot and 7 shots hit their targets. Does this mean that the opponent's unit that got shot have to take 7 pinning tests?
And: If 5 of the 7 shots wound, does this mean that the opponent's unit being wounded must take a further 5 pinning tests?
Only casualties cause pinning tests.
So you must kill each target to cause a pinning check.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote