Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you run a Tau army in City Of Death?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 04:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How do you run a Tau army in City Of Death?

I have never been in a CoD game before, and I have no idea of tactics or list comp for this type of game. I am thinking of a Farsight or a 60 Fw's in DF's with 3x BS. Thank you for any help.
pastiepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 06:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: How do you run a Tau army in City Of Death?

I actually have a full Mech list for use in cities.
My entire army is structured around the use of SMS and small, devilfish mobile units.
Sky Rays, and Tetras (if you have access to them) are priceless in cityfights.

Vespid also come in to their own in the urban battlefield.
Fast, Fleet and the ability to re-roll dangerous terrain tests combined with MEQ killing guns. Pure Awesome.

Farsight and Suit heavy armies also do well, as they can make the most of their enhanced mobility while your enemy is forced to slog through the rubble on foot.

Finally, remember that in cityfighting weight of fire, rather than strength, makes all the difference. Especially against 4+ or better cover saves.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 09:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah, CoD - where, surprisingly, a shooty army like Tau can shine!

Basically, I´m using my normal army for CoD - it is flexible enough to handle CoD, since it was always designed with a dense terrain in mind.
I agree mostly with RZ when it comes to army composition, though I have to contradict him on the Vespid argument a bit - sure, in CoD, they`re more effective than in normal games; yet their Marine killing guns suffer extremely since it`s most likely that the Marines can enjoy a 4+ cover save...

Deathrains, as usual, shine in CoD (high rate of fire, excellent accuracy and high strength means that you`ll force a lot of saves); but Helios and Burning Eye might prove their worth, too (Burning Eye especially, since you can use available Markerlights to lower cover saves instead of boosting BS (which would be necessary for the Helios).
Also, unusual, close encounter Crisis configurations might work okay (TL Flamer comes to my mind), since you essentially have enough cover to get close to the enemy.

I`m not sure about Broadsides, but their SMS will come in handy, and with an A.S.S., they have som measure of mobility, so they could come in handy, as well.

Generally speaking, I`d avoid static stuff, and go for highly mobile stuff - which basically means Suits, Piranhas, Tanks - with the sole exception of Kroot and Pathfinders (but beware of Whirlwinds!).

A final note: Be sure you know the metagame in advantage - does the guy you`re playing has loads of terrain? Or only enough for an alpha-level game, and even then he is proxying ruins? Or does he have a veritably "City of the Dead"?
Either way, it affects your army composition. While an Alpha level game with little to no actual terrain will play quite similar to a normal 40K game, a table packed choking full with terrain requires a completely different army to be fielded.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I found that in CoD DF can be really useful when given the SMS, as there is usually lots of terrain they can keep out of sight before rushing in to drop off the FW to give the deathblow. This usually works well as the opponent cant shoot back and its always worth the +1 BS upgrade, though I forget which it is.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 13:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovash745
I found that in CoD DF can be really useful when given the SMS, as there is usually lots of terrain they can keep out of sight before rushing in to drop off the FW to give the deathblow. This usually works well as the opponent cant shoot back and its always worth the +1 BS upgrade, though I forget which it is.
I suppose you`re talking about the Targeting Array. Yes, I agree. The SMS is definitely worth its weight in gold in CoD, but if you take the Warfish approach, be sure to also pack the Multitracker, to be able to "fire on the fly", so to speak.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 13:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think a Hybrid Tau army really has some serious punch in a CoD match. As others have said, load up on SMS and Crisis suits, JSJ is really easy in CoD. i tend to put a unit of fire warriors in a building with an ammo dump, which allows you to re-roll rolls to hit, which the Tau have a harder time to do than to actually wound. These can become amazing fire bases.

1 thing though... don't leave a unit out in the open, they will be anniliated, without a doubt.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 21:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovash745
I suppose you`re talking about the Targeting Array. Yes, I agree. The SMS is definitely worth its weight in gold in CoD, but if you take the Warfish approach, be sure to also pack the Multitracker, to be able to "fire on the fly", so to speak.

Cheers,
-Bone
Naturally, I use it all the time pretty much as a compulsary upgrade. You need the mobility with Tau and this gizmo give it to you.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 00:08   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The scenario is Maximum Attrition from the Cities of Death expansion, Mission level will be Omega, and 1500 points.
I am looking at running:
HQ: etheral w/ 10 hg/DF sms/ta/mt/decoy/sgt. w/markerlight/hwmt
HQ:Shas'o and 2 body gaurds not sure on config.
T:10 fw/DF sms/ta/mt/decoy/sgt. w/markerlight/hwmt
HS: BS w/ass/TL-PR
HS: BS w/ass/TL-PR
Should come out to right around 1500
pastiepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 01:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

You do know that your Ethereal will be wearing a giant neon "Shoot Me!" sign during the battle right?
The LoS blocks in CoD reduce his morale re-roll, and the price of failure still affects everyone. He's not necessary.
If you want my opinion, you should simply trade him for another scoring unit of Fire Warriors in Warfish.

Also, make your bodyguards independent Elites choices.
More scoring units, more flexibility in target selection/deployment/useful weapon configs.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 01:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

SMS is mad for CoD too, so I don't think I'd pay the extra points for the Bsides to get the PRs.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote