Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Submunitions - Giant shotguns?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Submunitions - Giant shotguns?

Just a quickie, this - Am I correctly understanding the nature of railgun submunitions to be essentially the same as shotgun shells (i.e. buckshot), or are they explosive fragmentation rounds?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Submunitions - Giant shotguns?

I think they're explosive fragmentation rounds. Like, they use the large blast template, so I imagine it's shot at a slight upward angle so the shots come down all boom-y like.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

It's like a HE round, but railgun style.. I'm guessing that it blows up once it reaches target..

And when you miss it goes through the ground for a few miles XD

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've always thought of them as giant shotgun shells that explode just before the target and shower them with whatever.

But I guess it's whatever you want it to be in the end.
Screaming Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

I seem to remember reading that it distributed bomblets that "detonated at an optimum height" or somesuch.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

There's actually been a few threads on the topic before, and I think the general consensus was that they were more or less "shotgun style" rounds.

The primary reasons were that it was pretty technologically difficult (not to mention unsafe) to be accelerating tiny explosive projectiles up to hypervelocity speeds down a ~6-7m long barrel (read: night instantaneously), not to mention likely extremely difficult to construct a submunitions bundle that would be thin enough to fire through the rails.

Instead, tiny flechettes on a timed separation from the bundle would be much safer for the firer, be easier to fit between the rails, and would likely produce about the same amount of damage; peppering the area with tiny fio'tak shards of death.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 00:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

In the codex it says that subunitions rounds are a single bullet that separate into many small needles. It is like a shotgun in the end but not in the beginning.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 01:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Actually, Doctor Wu, the codex just says a "sophisticated bundle of submunitions".

Submunitions can mean either explosives or solid projectiles, but I don't think the codex really makes the distinction either way, giving us all room for interpretation...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 01:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I'd personally go with the shotgun approach.
The advanced submunition bundle could be as simple as a frangible cartridge holding many small flechettes or shot pellets.
Upon exiting the muzzle the cartridge shatters and releases the payload. The spread at this point will most likely be smaller than 1º.
Downrange the spread is much greater due to the relative speed and angle of the flechettes.

In order to control the spread (ie: same blast size regardless of range) there may be solid shell with a delay fuse to break it up at a preset point, or ammunition with shell cases made of different materials, and the most effective type for the current range is loaded/cycled automatically.

They could also be a high-explosive fragmentation charge fired down the barrel, working in a similar way to the FRAG-12 shotgun round.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 05:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Furthermore, if it was ain airburst style submunition package, I would imagine it working like the AFP. It does not. It's a direct fire weapon, that allows cover saves. The effect should certianly be similar to the beaten path of machineguns, imho.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote