Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau vs csm
Closed Thread
Old 17 Apr 2005, 13:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default tau vs csm

ive been playing many csms latly and was wondering if u had some advice about beeting them, i have a mech list expt w/broad side so?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 14:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: tau vs csm

Ahstbn:

It would be very helpful to describe just what kind of Chaos you're fighting. Chaos has many variations, ranging from Lost and the Damned hordes to Iron Warriors. The more you can tell us, the better the tactica will be. For example, are you facing a very heavy Cult army such as Slaneesh? Nurgle? Khorne? What about an undivided Legion, such as Alpha Legion? Are you facing a lot of power armor, or daemons? What sort of elites, such as Obliterators, Possessed? And which Vehicles--Defiler? Dreadnought? Predator?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 14:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

blk legon prty asult geared,1 korn squad 1 infiltraiting mreen sqd one shootysqad,preditor, vry war gear hvy, oh ya furies and thurster
Old 17 Apr 2005, 14:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ouch! One of those Tau nightmare armies I take it. Plenty of fast moving and tough combat models and a big model that you can't shoot until he's at your door step.

What level of points are we talking here, 1500? 2000?

Wargear heavy is a good thing, as it means less bodies on the board.

So, what do you have in your army? To better let us know what to advise you with
Old 17 Apr 2005, 14:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

my army has actualy been posted,. but breifly, shas o, 3 fire knifes, 2 steath teams, 2 12 man fw teams w/fishes, 2 rail heads and a broadside.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, in that case you have:

Shas'O with X weapons (?) I will assume Fireknife as well
XV8 x 3 with Plasma/Missilepod
XV15 x 6 (I assume?)
XV15 x 6 (I assume?)
12 x Firewarriors; Devilfish
12 x Firewarriors; Devilfish
Hammerhead; Railgun
Hammerhead; Railgun
XV-88

Your chaos opponent has:

Bloodthirster Greater Daemon
Khorne Berserkers x 8 (I assume)
Undivided Marines x 8 (I assume); Infiltration
Furies x 10 (I assume)
Predator; Lascannons all over; Mutated Hull (I assume)

I'm sure there's more, but that's all you've give us to work with.

Now, I think what it will come down to for you is target priority. Step1: Ask your opponent which unit contains his Daemon Vessel - He is not required to tell you this, but if he does tell you out of kindness, then you have a very big priority target to fire at. Don't laugh - it happens.

He has many fast moving units and a single tank in the background I assume to fire at you. So first thing, your XV88 should be blasting that predator to bits asap even if it has 14 armor, you will glance/penetrate on a 4+ with ease. XV88 should always target that tank.

Marines are the only ones he's going to be able to summon the Thirster and Furies from. The Thirster can either be coming from that Khorne squad of the Infiltrating Undivided squad -- so it will be one of those unless he has other squads that you didn't mention. Only one of them can do it and he cannot switch it during the game, as he must decide that a single model is the vessel before the game (don't let him cheat you). For that reason, submunitions and Fireknife fire should be focused into the fastest moving squad or closest squad at all times until they're all gone (this may be the undivided infiltrators for example). If you kill the vessel before he summons the thirster, the thirster will quickly die to very large instability checks (they die by themselves when you kill the vessel before being summoned). Again, don't let him cheat you with this... his instability will be on 3d6 with large penalties, meaning, it will die fast.

Your firewarriors should be sitting in their Fish and preparing to catch those Furies or anything else that is a "surprise" -- Use these fish if you have to, to keep your Crisis suits and stealthsuits out of combat.

You should have enough focus fire from Firewarriors, XV15's and Crisis to easily eliminate a squad of marines at a time. Just be prepared to leave very quickly if you destroy a squad and expose an instable Blood Thirster.

If you bust his anti-tank your hammerheads are home free, so consider it a priority at range, everything else should be killing his infiltrators and fast moving squads. Keep a firewarrior squad nearby to intercept those furies if it's not too late (typically they will pop from that undivided squad due to mark restrictions, they cannot be summoned from the berserkers, so don't let him cheat you, only undivided can summon furies!). The furies arrive, move 12 inches and then can assault 6, so he may get you into combat quickly -- fear now, they're strong, but your armor is better and firewarriors can indeed beat a pack of furies (crisis suits, stealths on the other hand will be overwhelmed). Use your armored hulls in the front when his anti-tank capability is gone to help prevent fast assaults like this when possible (which isn't always possible, but it's still good to know).

We can keep going if you provide more details Otherwise, good luck to you! I think for you, it's all about prioritization of your targets and focusing your fire squad by squad.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 17:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

thx this should help but as for details, i forgot 2 metion 2 oblideratores, (sory) the preditor has 2 laz and 1 aton canon w/paricitic poses.mareen squads have 10 each.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

In that case, be sure to put a railgun shot into the obliterators from the XV-88 as well. It will insta-kill them. Prioritize them with the Predator with your XV-88 and any spare railgunshots you have, unless he's in your face because those Obliterators will down your vehicles. Only dedicate those railguns to them if you don't have marines closing in on you though.

If his predator is armor13, not 14, then you should be able to krak it open even with missile pods if you need to. Otherwise, a single railshot should put her to sleep.

But really, if you remove his predator in a single shot, you could ignore his obliterators for a while and just make due with the casualties they'll cause (if he's smart, he'll use autocannons on you for rate of fire, range and S/AP values). The real danger will be in the 10xMarine squads where all the goodies come from (read: daemons). Bust them, and you eliminate two birds with one stone! He can't summon without an icon (so make sure he shows you what his icon is, or if it's his champ, make sure he and his squad dies). Furies can only be summoned by undivided, not khorne so they cannot come from the berserkers or the thirster, so if you kill them, the furies never enter the game and you save yourself the trouble.

So bust them at all costs. If you have spare moments, railshots into his artillery. You'll pull it off with flying colors if you focus on those marines though. With 4 crisis, 12 stealths and firewarriors you should be able to erase them rather easily. He cannot summon until turn 2, so you have a chance to stop a single squad from summoning something.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 19:22   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Watch where he puts his icons and champions within the squad, too. He should be using cover during his approach, and you may be able to use that to your advantage. If you can move your Hammerheads such that only the champion or icon is in your line of sight, then you can force your opponent to remove those models first. It is a sneaky trick, but sometimes that is called for against summoning Chaos armies.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Berserkers do not generally use cover as they just rage towards the enemy all the time. Most of the marines infiltrate, so they'll be right up close most likely with the icons. His khorne champs cannot summon furies. His khorne champ can however summon the bloodthirster, but khorne cannot infiltrate so he'll have to walk it. The infiltrating squads can infiltrate, summon furies and summon a blood thirster, so those will be his biggest targets.

Also, you can never force your opponent to remove any models based on whether or not they were under a template. They did it purposefully to prevent sniping of champs and heavy weapons via template placements. Page 30. Just to keep things clear there.

The suggestion by Khanaris can be done with any weapon, so long as line of sight can only be drawn on the champ. This is a very hopeful situation, albeit incredibly rare to poke the champion's nose out of cover and no one else's. But who knows, it could happen if they're bold!