Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlight tech
Old 24 Mar 2008, 14:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Markerlight tech

I have a question for you Tau enthusiasts. I'm writing a book detailing the battle for Hydro Processing plant 23-30 in the Taros campaign (Operation: Comet), and I'm wondering whether it'd be feasible for a Storm Trooper to direct a seeker missile attack against an Imperial target with a captured markerlight? How does the markerlight system work? Do the observers communicate with the launchers to order the fire mission, then paint the target for the incoming missile, or is it a completely automated process with failsafes to avoid friendly fire? This is of couse all assuming a Storm Trooper would be sufficiently proficient with the handling of Xenos tech.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 14:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Markerlight tech

Well the logical answer would be that it would require some sort of authorization code in some form. It may be communication or an automated signal, but just having a green light aim the missile would be too haphazard a system for it to continue to exist. It could even be as drastic as the painting actually having no effect at all. Could just be a means for a computer to calculate the distance and direction to target and a radar picks it up from there.

In either form, it would most likely be dependant on how soon the markerlight was stolen. Lets say it's during the fight the stormtrooper kills a pathfinder getting ready to mark something and aims it elsewhere. Assuming there is no one monitoring the launching and targeting system (all that room in the skyray has to be for something, right?). Sure potentially it's possible.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 14:28   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I would say unlikely. Most Tau tech seems to be user controlled, with some form of identification to work. If he could get it to function, then I'm sure there are failsafes to ensure it wouldn't work properly.

We also know that Tau technology will not fire on Tau - their friendly fire protocols are rock solid. In Rogue Star, when an Imperial ship with Tau weapons tried to fire on Tau ships, the weapons self destructed. I doubt it would be that drastic for a simple markerlight, but I can't see it working.

It would, however, be cool. How about the storm trooper using it to redirect an already launched missile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 14:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I would say that there isn't an authorization code of any sort. It's completely Automated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Codex; Vehicle armoury, page 31
Ordinarily, the vehicle carrying the seeker missiles has no control over them and cannot launch them itself. The mechanism is remote and responds only to markerlight users
Hope that helped!
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 14:47   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think it would be fine if you also figured out a way for the Imperial operator to get some sort of authorization code.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 14:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubgum
Well, I would say that there isn't an authorization code of any sort. It's completely Automated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Codex; Vehicle armoury, page 31
Ordinarily, the vehicle carrying the seeker missiles has no control over them and cannot launch them itself. The mechanism is remote and responds only to markerlight users
Hope that helped!
Mmmm, that's what I thought, thanks Bubgum. And Khanaris - That's an interesting thought, thanks.

Just to reiterate though, I did ask whether it'd be feasible for a Storm Trooper to direct a seeker missile attack against an Imperial target with a captured markerlight - Friendly fire is a non-issue here. It'd be a perfectly acceptable target for a Pathfinder to choose of his own volition...if he only knew that the target building contained Deathwatch Space Marines tasked with the elimination of Shas'O R'myr. Exactly why a loyal Storm Trooper would want to murder a Deathwatch kill team is a little complicated.

Cheers then, fellas. Any more technical insight into the system would still be welcome though; primarily such information as discerned from publications under the Warhammer 40,000 copyright, but mere logical hypotheses would be useful too.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 15:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that would be even more acceptable. If there was an authorization code, or something, then the seeker missile wouldn't hesitate to fire at an enemy unit, no matter who was firing it.
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 15:49   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I thought by Imperial target you meant an enemy of the Imperium. I see now, as that has overcome one obstacle - friendly fire.

With that not being a problem as such, it might be a lot more feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 16:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Does the Tau employ biometrics as a security measure? I'm so sure they would use codes, since it's usually quite easy to break (look at today's WEP codes).
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 17:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

I think biometrics or some other kind of security measure (beyond anti-friendly fire) is a possibility here. Most Tau tech seems to be ridiculously advanced to the point of triple-redundancy in some cases.

I think it's just as likely the Tau have worked in some kind of security system where in order to get the Pulse Carbine/Markerlight to activate, it needs to be either in close, close proximity to the firer's wrist-mounted Battle Computer, or maybe even directly connected to it through conductive surface fibers through the glove/fio'dr utilities.

If the Pathfinder in question dies, his biometric signature/battlecom connections is deactivated and the gun/markerlight becomes a useless brick unless picked up by another living Tau or recovered after action and sent to the Fio for reconstitution.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote