Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ejection Systems and base size.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 05:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ejection Systems and base size.

While I know the ejection system isn't that popular to people, I think it might be fun for some modeling, and came across a question. When the suit dies and you replace the model, what is the size of the base the pilot model must be on? I had three possible answers as follows: (a) the same size as the one the model was on (as per the rules a model can be mounted on a base larger than the one it comes with, but no smaller; and I have at least one commander on a dreadnought base right now), (b) the base that the model originally came with (40 mm for crisis suits if I'm not wrong), or (c) the regular infantry base (30 mm round I think). I know this may not be one of the more pressing questions for Tau players out there, but an inch or so of difference might save you from an assault, I know, I've had it happen when that half-inch bit me in the tail-end.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 05:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Ejection Systems and base size.

Think it'd be the 25mm Infantry base.
Game Workshop has one modeled onto it on their site so no-one can say you're doing something wrong.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 07:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Their really is no rule telling us which, but I'd say go with the infantry model base, as you are replacing the battlesuit with an infantry model. IMO, since you are replacing the commander's XV-8 the pilot does not need to be on the same sized base as the commanders suit. The pilot is effectively an entirely new model.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 13:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Mine was done on a 25mm base and no one complained so far.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 13:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Okay, that all sounds pretty reasonable. I've seen the one on GW's site. Thanks for everybody clearing this up. A while back, I called GW about the legality of a Deathwing terminator with lightning claws and a cyclone. I never would have thought about doing this, but there's a picture of one in the new DA codex, and now there's one in my army, also.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 19:12   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Of course you could always use one of the bigger bases to make a kicken' scene of the pilot standing on the wrecked armor of his old suit.

I followed the GW article except I used the tank commanders legs from the Dfish sprue, they are just cloth pants so they look great for a pilot. Of course they are standing straight up but that looks pretty defiant and cool in my opinion. Their Pulse Pistol is super easy to make.
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I also used the tank commander legs from the devilfish sprue and put a XV-15 jet pack to him and he is airborne (held up by the small thingy for supporting the skimmer) he is looking and shooting at sometihng at his left...he's pretty cool.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
I also used the tank commander legs from the devilfish sprue and put a XV-15 jet pack to him and he is airborne (held up by the small thingy for supporting the skimmer) he is looking and shooting at sometihng at his left...he's pretty cool.
That sounds great.

I'd be a terrible battlesuit soldier in the older models (the ones where you are all foetal in the body rather than having actual power armour like Farsight). I could see my training officer yelling even now, "DAMN YOU, BEHDINI! 100 LAPS FOR EJECTING 'BECAUSE IT'S FUN' AND 100 MORE FOR 'BECAUSE MY LEGS WERE CRAMPY'!"

I am considering how to model cloth-wearing units; two Air Cadre models are sold by FW but they are resin, expensive, and there are only two, plus they are clearly another subspecies of Tau than Fire Caste - they are all stretched out because their bones are hollow and they can glide/fly, whereas Fire Caste are short, stubby and kind of built.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 22:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I didn't have any of those cool XV-15 suits to scavange...I had to make my backpack out of cobbled together Pulse Carbine parts, similar to how they made the Vectored Thrusters for the wargear suit.
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 17:13   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I just used one of my tank crew. I shaved off one of the hands on the binoculars, and the other hand is a rifle arm from a FW spru trimmed down so the rifle looks a bit more like a pistol -- snipping much of the middle section of the rifle out and gluing the two ends together (could have done it easier just trimming a carbine, oh well). Glued him to a 25mm base and will probably stick little hunks of XV8 debris around him
Ground Zero is offline   Reply With Quote