Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you go about tailoring about a list and beating these armies?
Old 22 Mar 2008, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default How do you go about tailoring about a list and beating these armies?

Well, I have a tournament next week, and it is a team-based tournament. The team consist of 4 players, and each player are from the first tier (the best players in our gaming group), second tier, third tier and fourth tier based upon our tournament raking form last year and there are a total of five teams including my own.

I am in the fourth tier due to the fact that I did rather badly in the last bout, and since I am in the fourth tier, my list have been cut down from a 1750 pts to a 1250 pts list since most of the fourth tier players do not have a large enough army to play a 1750 pts army (with the exception of myself, as I have 3500 pts worth of Tau).

The interesting thing about this tournament is that you need to wipe out at least 30% of the enemy forces upon the table to get a win, and also each victory counts as a certain amount of point that will be accumulated into the entire teams performance as a whole (so even though one of our team mates is not doing well, the others can compensate for it by winning). Another thing that sets this tournament very differently from the rest is that you can change you list and tailor it to a particular opponent of the other team, but provided that you have the exact representation of the models to put on the table (no crisis suits as proxies for broadsides for example).

So currently I am in a lot of pressure to make my victories count, and the fact that I am perhaps the only one in the entire fourth tier to ever been in tournaments and also the most blooded amongst them makes me really want to win at all cost, lest be humiliated at my own failings. I know some of their armies pretty well, and the others I have seen their games and they are;

1)Tyranids - most likely will have three Sniperfexes, and perhaps a winged Hive tyrant

2)Chaos: most likely Undivided , perhaps Mechanized

3)Dark Eldar: Mechanized, maybe will have Wyches in them

4)Blood Angels: Perhaps Mechanized, but may also be jump pack heavy

Now, half of the players here know that I played Mech Tau, but almost all but one have not an exact clue as to what a Mech Tau list is capable off. Since this is a tournament, I know that they will attempt to make their list as nasty as possible and I know that if I do not do that myself, I will lose.

Now I have a few ideas that I hoped is competitive enough to try and beat the crap out of their lists and they are;

1)Three Hammerheads - two with railgun and one with a Ion cannon, all with SMS

2)Deathrain spam - currently I can put in up to four in my 1250 pts list

3)Bringing in as much vehicles as I can - so far I am able to spam in two devilfishes and three hammerheads

I hoped that I have a general list that can tackle all of them well, but I am willing to make the step necessary to make a totally tailored list to kill my opponents.

So can you guys help me and try to come out with ways, and even better yet a list that can help me beat those guys down to the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How do you go about tailoring about a list and beating these armies?

I CAN give you advice for the Sniperfexes: Forget Skimmers; just spam Broadsides with Shield Drones - trust me on this: The Sniperfexes are a pain in the ass to deal with, and since they are most likely pimped out with 2+ save, your Deathrains will do nothing - so go for the big stuff. Add in a Helios Shas`O and one or two Helios suits for the Winged Tyrant, and you`re ready to go.

Against Dark Eldar, go Deathrains, and SMS on all Skimmers.

Blood Angels: mix of Broadsides and Ionheads. Maybe some Helios suits (to deal with the Death Company).

That`s all I the advice I can give you from the top of my head; looks like you have two hard pairings: DE and Nidzilla can be hell for Tau.

Nevertheless, I think it was a mistake to allow for tailoring lists (especially if there are beginners playing, as well), but that`s just my opinion...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How do you go about tailoring about a list and beating these armies?

I agree, it means the richer players have an advantage
Old 22 Mar 2008, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sort of defeats the purpose of take all comer lists if everyone is just going to cheese it up. ???
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 03:53   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
I CAN give you advice for the Sniperfexes: Forget Skimmers; just spam Broadsides with Shield Drones - trust me on this: The Sniperfexes are a pain in the D'yi to deal with, and since they are most likely pimped out with 2+ save, your Deathrains will do nothing - so go for the big stuff. Add in a Helios Shas`O and one or two Helios suits for the Winged Tyrant, and you`re ready to go.

Against Dark Eldar, go Deathrains, and SMS on all Skimmers.

Blood Angels: mix of Broadsides and Ionheads. Maybe some Helios suits (to deal with the Death Company).

That`s all I the advice I can give you from the top of my head; looks like you have two hard pairings: DE and Nidzilla can be hell for Tau.

Nevertheless, I think it was a mistake to allow for tailoring lists (especially if there are beginners playing, as well), but that`s just my opinion...

Cheers,
-Bone
I do not have broadsides( none) and thus I know that I will be in trouble with those tyranids

I only have these models in my disposal;

7 crisis suits
30 fire warriors
8 pathfinders
6 stealth suits
14 kroot
6 kroot hound
6 vespids
3 pirahnas
3 hammerheads
4 devilfishes

This tournament is weird, I agree but yet that is the rule for this tournament. It also gives the other player to tailor their list against other players PROVIDED that they have the model. I personally prefer to take an all-comers list than cheesing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 09:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you don't have broadsides, spam hammerheads!! Take all three, one with Ion cannon, and swap from submunition to solid shots, depending on what army you're playing.

Also, take your Piranhas, all three with fusion blasters and seeker missiles. The fusion blasters are obvious, but if you're fusion blaster is out of range, or you don't need it at the particular moment, stick your piranhas behind a wall, or out of view use Pathfinders, and spam your victim with markerlights. Watch the seeker missiles fly, and weaken the unit before moving in, finishing them with your fusion blasters > I think that some Tau players underestimate the might of markerlights...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 10:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubgum
I think that some Tau players underestimate the might of markerlights...
Yeah we have some Tau players at my club who never use markerlights! They say 'why bother, it means yo have to hit twice!?!' I tried to guide them along by saying that his super equipped crisis team could be hitting on 2+ with a few lights...

My tip against dark eldar is to set up outside your devilfish and punish them, as they try to close jump in and move off, get out again when its safe. Unless you get an opponent who made a shooting dark eldar list, 2 heavy weapons in a squad with transport which also has a heavy weapon totals lots of heavy weapons, in which case move the 'fish off separately to draw the fire.

I don't really know much about the other army's having never faced them, well daemon hunters yeah but they're a cake walk for mech tau.
Old 23 Mar 2008, 10:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I usually don`t bother with Markers, too - my Crisis wield TL BS 4 weaponry, which make markers unnecessary. My Broadsides are TL. My Firewarriors are embarked most of the game. And my Hammerheads all are equipped with Ioncannons.
Pathfinders would only slow me down, and are extremely vulnerable; especially in a mostly mech-list.

So you CAN play Tau without Markers; but even I started to field a Skyray for the Markers (I really don`t need more) - enough to boost a FoF, or an ionhead...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 11:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, against Sniperfex's, it really depends on the upgrades... a 3+ save carni, will be ripped apart by ion cannons... a 2+ save carni, needs plasma, fusion or railguns (although, with hammerheads, I'd rather use the submunition on genetealers/warriors/etc, and use Helios suits with markerlight support (they are also your best bet against winged tyrants). Id recommend a commander with plasma, ion blaster and BS5, it makes him dangerous against everything the tyranid list has (except T7 carnis), at 18" - 24" (jump shoot jump) which out of charge distance of any flying tyrants (although maybe you should add vectored thrusters to him, just in case he catches him with gaunts).

All in all, I'd say, 3 hammerheads, 1 or 2 with Ion, rest with railgun(s), Helios suits, Deathrains suits, some pathfinders (maybe just 4 or 6)/minimum sized markerlight equipped fire warrior teams, piranhas (just in case you reduce the tyrant to 1 wound, and need an extra ap2 gun).

Against the rest, I recommend 3 Ionheads and deathrains, as the key units, for taking out the fast elements

Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 18:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
I usually don`t bother with Markers, too - my Crisis wield TL BS 4 weaponry, which make markers unnecessary. My Broadsides are TL. My Firewarriors are embarked most of the game. And my Hammerheads all are equipped with Ioncannons.
Pathfinders would only slow me down, and are extremely vulnerable; especially in a mostly mech-list.

So you CAN play Tau without Markers; but even I started to field a Skyray for the Markers (I really don`t need more) - enough to boost a FoF, or an ionhead...

Cheers,
-Bone
Well, you could take a couple Tetras. That'll fill your fast attack with mobile markerlights. Once I get the cash and then models, that's where my markerlights will be coming from.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote