Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] The Last Stand over Malthrax II
Old 22 Mar 2008, 16:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default [BatRep] The Last Stand over Malthrax II

This is a Battle Report between my Tau/Kroot and Mal's Space Marines/Witch Hunters.

The Armies

Tash'var Coalition

1 Shas'el
3 Crisis Battlesuits
3 Stealthsuits
12 Fire Warriors
12 Fire Warriors
1 Pirahna

1 Master Shaper
5 Shaper Council Members
10 Kroot Carnivores

Battlegroup Hydra Strike Force

1 Captain
7 Command squad members
6 man tactical squad
5 Assault Marines
5 Devastators
1 Rhino

1 Inquisitor
5 man retinue
1 Chimera

The Pre-game Fluff

The Tash'var coalition had smashed into the Malthrax systems like a hammer-blow, sweeping aside scarse Imperial resisitance. Local Imperial forces in Battlegroup Dominatus were engaged fighting Tyranids, so Battlegroup Hydra were sent against the Tau.

Hydra prepared themselves on Malthrax II, but the preliminary Tau assault seriously weakened them, and Captain Malendricus, the leader of the Venomous Skull's first company was horribly wounded. Malendricus' First Sergeant, Felix Cassianus took up the Captain's mantle, and launched a superb counter attack which caught the Tau off-guard.

The Space Marines may have won then, but their reinforcements from the Death Korps were stalled by Tallarn rebels who were supported by the Tau. The Venomous Skulls were alone. Cassianus made his last stand in the stark deserts of Malthrax II.

Commander Songblade, who commanded the Tau coalition was no fool, and he bombarded the Space Marines, and weakened them further. As he prepared the final strike, he was called away, as his Tallarn allies called for help.

He left with his Cadre, putting his pupil, Shas'el Tash'var Nan'ro, Commander Skystrike in charge. She gathered all the forces she could, including mercenary Kroot from the Dark Kindred, and launched her attack.

The Battle

The Space Marines, battered and weary, trudged their way across the battlefield. Their few remaining tanks trundled forward, supported by scouts. The Devastator squad, low on ammo, tried to make every shot count, and blasted the leader of the Stealth team away, and the rest of the Space Marine fire killed several Shaper Council members. The Assault squad leapt forward.

The Tau responded quickly, with a volley of missiles destroying the Rhino, which had so little fuel left it didn't even explode. The Kroot raced forward, seeking the safety from enemy fire that the combat brought. The Fire Warriors cut down a great swathe of the assault marines and the pirahna immobilised the Chimera. The Master Shaper and his retinue butchered the the remaining assault marine, feasting on his flesh.

The Space Marines opened fire again, leaving on the Master Shaper remaining, his council all dead, and stunned the Pirahna. The Devastators tried to fire at the Fire Warriors, but the damaged Chimera blocked the view.

The Tau fought back ferociously again, the Crisis Battlesuits this time claiming the Chimera, and the Kroot rushing towards the Scouts. The Fire Warriors shot several of the Inquisitor's retinue, then the Master shaper attacked and wounded the Inquisitor, whose force weapon failed to hurt the beserk alien.
The Kroot killed all but one of the scouts, who fled but was chased down and thus continued to fight, bringing the Kroot closer to the Devastators but leaving the Devastators unable to shoot.

With the forward contingents of the Tau in combat, the Space Marines had little to shoot at. A rocket raced forward from the tactical squad and sent a few Fire warriors to their graves, and a volley of fire from the Command squad kept the pirahna stunned. In combat, the Kroot butchered the last Scout, and the Master Shaper was wounded, but nerves of steel kept him in combat.

In the Tau turn, a volley from the Fire Warriors took down 2 of the Tactical marines, and the Kroot charged forward into the Devastators. The Devastators never had a chance, and the Kroot mercilessly killed them. The Master Shaper kept the combat even.

Felix Cassianus realised the battle was lost. He nodded to the Inquisitor, and the Imperial army teleported away. The Kroot Master shaper swung for the deathblow, but his adversary was gone. Malthrax II belonged to the Tau.

Post-game

The Tau had captured Malthrax II, but there was another conflict in parallel. The Death Korps, who were awaiting Space marine support, and the Tallarn traitors, who were expecting Tau support from Commander Songblade were locked in a huge cityfight. Though it was over a small world, the results of the conflict could affect an entire system.

A little background is always appreciated. +1 - Khanaris

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 17:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: [BatRep] The Last Stand over Malthrax II

Seams kind of mean to use models from the Kroot Mercenary list with the Tau list. I thought the Merc list was specific against that? Although that would be really, really nice to make up for the Tau's lack of Close Combat units.

...mmmm, Shaper council covered in power weapons
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actually I have Kroot Mercs and Tau as seperate armies, they were allied in this.

Old 22 Mar 2008, 18:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Oooh, I gotcha. That makes sense then ^_^
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 18:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Mal and I are gonna have some Tallarn vs Death Korps battles, then have a finale including the Tau and Space Marines, then depending on how the fluff stands have a massive battle involving all my Tau, Tallarn, Kroot and possibly my other IG (as cadian traitors) against Mal's Space Marines, Death Korps, Inquisitiors, standard IG and some of my Space Marines (The Sons of Primus), who have been despatched from Battlegroup Dominatus, probably on Malthrax III or IV. Malthrax V is the Sons of Primus' homeworld, so if there is a bettle there it will probably be apocalypse.

Old 23 Mar 2008, 13:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

if you take them in two separate armies, you technically aren't breaking any rules, you have found a loop hole

you cant incoperate kroot mercs into your army at all, but it says nothing about allies. It legal, just not in line with the fluff

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 16:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Perfect for apocalypse!