Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Empire Unit Designation System
Old 22 Mar 2008, 06:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Tau Empire Unit Designation System

For those of you who are interested, I just posted an Unofficial Tau Empire Unit Designation System over at ATT.

It's something I've been procrastinating with over the past couple weeks, and I had duty yesterday (24 hours of making sure no one breaks into our Squadron building for you non-military types not 'in the know' ), so sheer boredom compelled me to finally finish compiling it based on a previous thread over there which discussed it.

Hope this helps any of you aspiring fluff-writers and/or people bored out of your mind like me.

---

P.S. Can I get a verification of the mass classes of the Space Craft?

I don't have the models handy so had to do some guesswork with their relative sizes/displacements.

Thanks in advance!

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau Empire Unit Designation System

no one really knows the exact sizes- just like with Imperial ships, it really changes from author to author. But good stuff, all very interesting and I'm sure will be handy.

If enough people like it we might even throw it into the Fio article i'm starting to work on.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 07:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Do we at least know how large the ships are, relative to one another? I've found basing it off hull points alone is sketchy at best - especially considering the Merchant is a Cruiser/4 in the original fleet list and a Cruiser/6 in the CPF one.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 22 Mar 2008, 10:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

First off: You have waaay too much time at hands

Nevertheless, it looks cool, and thorough; just a short comment:

Shouldn`t there be - either in the Naval section, or the Drone section - be a category of "Space Drones"? Everything from intelligent chaff, to sensor drones, to repair drones, and up to intelligent warheads (read: Torpedoes)?

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

To answer your question Bonesaw, I figured that with the plethora of technology in the Tau arsenal that has a 'drone intelligence' on it, it would have been entirely redundant to include every one of them. Gravitic Tracer Missiles or Torpedoes with drone intelligences already have their own category so if we gave them a drone category as well, we might have to do the same for Crisis suits, Hammerheads, and anything else that has an accompanying drone intelligence too.

I do see your point about the sensor drones though. That drone satellite from Fire Warrior probably represented the largest full-fledged non-expendable drones the Fio could produce, meaning they're likely either Mass Class 8 or have their own space craft drone designation.

I'll deliberate.

Doombringer

Old 22 Mar 2008, 23:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Excellent stuff. Maybe this should go into "important topics"?

Now if only the guy who created the Gue'senshi would rename the XV29 to match the designation system properly...

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 23:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nice. A little note on the weapon designations what is the reasoning behind them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB from ATT
PX is the designation for Pulse Weaponry. (PX-16 Pulse Rifle)
PLX is the designation for Plasma Weaponry. (PLX-58 Plasma Cannon)
RX is the designation for Rail Weaponry. (RX-38 Battlesuit Railgun)
IX is the designation for Ion Weaponry. (IX-88 Naval-Grade Ion Beam)
FX is the designation for Fusion Weaponry. (FX-28 Fusion Blaster)
MX is the designation for General Explosive Munitions. (MX-03 Photon/Sonic Grenade)
GX is the designation for General Projectile Munitions. (GX-13 Grenade Launcher)
SMX is the designation for Self-Propelled Missile Systems. (SMX-38 Missile Pod)
LX is the designation for Laser-based Equipment and/or Weaponry. (LX-14 Markerlight)
Considering there is no real difference between Plasma and Pulse weaponry in the Tau arsenal, the Plasma Rifle of the Tau seems to just be a beefier version of the Pulse rifle (admittedly if we use Codex cover artwork then the Tau Plasma rifle is a plasma stream weapon whereas the Pulse rifle fires a packet of plasma). That's the first thing.

Second the designations look too English I mean there is no sense that the Tau would make their classifications fit with the English names for things such as the RX, IX, FX classifications. This is a bit far fetched in my opinion. Also what is the nature of 'x' in all these classifications. I was going to look up some past posts, but I can't be bothered at the moment (the ones where we were discussing the Tau names for particular weapons, surely it would better to use those as an acronym rather than the English???).

Anyhow great work DB, mods I think some Karma is in order even though that is on ATT,
Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 00:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

To address your concerns, Genmotty;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Considering there is no real difference between Plasma and Pulse weaponry in the Tau arsenal, the Plasma Rifle of the Tau seems to just be a beefier version of the Pulse rifle (admittedly if we use Codex cover artwork then the Tau Plasma rifle is a plasma stream weapon whereas the Pulse rifle fires a packet of plasma). That's the first thing.
Yeah, I gave them two different designations due to their different firing methods. All the box art tells us the Plasma Rifle is more of a highly concentrated beam of plasma, whereas the Pulse Rifle fires a small packet, orb, or burst (pick one ) of plasma. Admittedly, if the Fusion Blaster and the Flamethrower can both fit into the same category, the Plasma Rifle and the Pulse Rifle could theoretically fit into a single one too.

If everyone's in agreement with this, I'll go ahead and amend the two categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Second the designations look too English I mean there is no sense that the Tau would make their classifications fit with the English names for things such as the RX, IX, FX classifications. This is a bit far fetched in my opinion. Also what is the nature of 'x' in all these classifications. I was going to look up some past posts, but I can't be bothered at the moment (the ones where we were discussing the Tau names for particular weapons, surely it would better to use those as an acronym rather than the English???).
Well, quite technically, all those classifications are Imperial designations as per some examples of fluff, but since we've seen the Tau use them too (Fire Warrior makes specific mention of the term 'XV-8&#39, I figured I'd strike a nice balance between all the various examples we've seen in the fluff; Imperial designations, Tau designations, and the ever important concept of ease-of-use/remembrance.

Besides, most of what GW and FW has already given us is a very straightforward system with ease-of-remembrance on a higher level than what would normally make sense.

AX - Aircraft (AX-1-0 and AX-2-2 Tigershark)
TX - Tank/Skimmer (TX-42 Piranha)
DX - Drone (DX-4 Technical Drone and DX-6 Remora)

See the pattern they've already provided us?
All I did was take that and run with it.

The 'X' serves absolutely no purpose other than it's in every single designation in the wide range of fluff except the 'CL-31 Technical Drone' mention in Tactica Aeronautica, so I've included it in these examples too! ;D

Doombringer

Old 23 Mar 2008, 03:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Aye, you have a bit too much free time, but we can expect such high-quality stuff from your free time, I hope you have more. ^^

However, I think there's a mistake with this:
AX-1 - Barracuda Chassis
AX-1-0 - Light Tigershark Chassis
AX-18-0 - Railgun-Variant Tigershark
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2008, 03:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mistake?

Can you explain, please?

Doombringer