Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with list Vs. Grey Knights
Old 22 Mar 2008, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help with list Vs. Grey Knights

In the next couple of days I will be playing a seasoned Grey Knight player. We will be playing a 1000 point game. I have absolutely no idea how to counter him. I play mostly Mech with 1 HH, 1 Devilfish, 2 Deathrains, 3 Burning Eyes, 3 Firs Knives, and a Commander with CiB SG and BC.

I have other units but these along with my FW's have been the mainstay of my different lists. I guess I am looking for some ideas of how to play and what kind of list i should field against him.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 03:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Help with list Vs. Grey Knights

Grey Knights have very little anti tank power.

Remember, they're just as easy to take down as normal marines and their bonus CC Powers are pointless as they'd already slaughter tau.
Not much in the way of vehicles either, just Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders, which are their only things which can take out tanks easily.

Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, this wont be hard, its similar to anti marine tactics, but with a twist.

pure grey knights will be able to at least get to you with minimized casulaties if you cant bring the guns to bear.

however, you wont fight alot of them at any given time so its alright.

What you want to do however is watch out for a grey knight combination list comprised of storm troopers, or witch hunters. For a firewarrior each these witches can hurt, and storm troopers can act as teleport homers for grey knights!

if your not ready for a surprise your list is doomed. Deploy a tactically flexible force, able to counter attack any marine force. Missile pods would be a decent exception because of its range, and high str value. If you roll to see a grey knight at least youll know that 36 inches can really make up for it.

times like this, a cyclic ion blaster would be worth a small investment. Considering when the thing hits, it will cause an armor check, and 6 can kill a 25 point model, or even a 45 with a weapon investment.

another train of thought.

if you can cause an armor check, youll make this point heavy army feel every body that goes.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 04:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, anymore would be greatly appreciated. like what to target in order.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 04:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

watch out for assassins.

take out their tanks early (missilepods work well, but keep a railgun (or 2) in case of a landraider crusader (dakka dakka dakka)

hit and run the rest of the game, daemon hunters while formidable in close combat can be notoriously slow.

if he includes witch hunters, load up on pulserifles, and be ready to rapid fire if the time comes.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 06:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Watch out for Shrouding. Most people don't have a problem with it, but even so, it can negate crucial firepower for an entire unit at a time.

You're gonna want an ion cannon in your list, I think.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 08:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Does this guy use any inducted imperial guard, because if he does that changes things. For example, an Leman Russ could hurt you if he gets first turn.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 09:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaraven
I play mostly Mech with 1 HH, 1 Devilfish, 2 Deathrains, 3 Burning Eyes, 3 Firs Knives, and a Commander with CiB SG and BC.
What is a deathrain, burning eye, firs knives?

Sorry I'm not giving you any advice (I'm fairly new to 40k) but I have just never seen or heard of these models before.

Thanks in advance.
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 09:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Deathrain refers to a Crisis Suit armed with Twin-linked Missile Pods.
Burning Eyes refer to Crisis Suits armed with Twin-linked Plasma Rifles.
Fire Knives are Crisis Suits armed with Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and Multi-tracker.

And Dtram, a quick search of the stickies will show up these and a lot more besides.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 10:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I´ve never played against Grey Knights, but from their Codex, I can agree with everyone else: they have a serious anti-tank problem.

Of course, just knowing you`ll play against Grey Knights isn`t the whole story - as has already been stated, they can include a number of other units from Guard or the Astartes, so I`d advise you to keep your army flexible.

In my experience, a flexible, mobile force can deal with any enemy - this is doubly true for Grey Knights, especially since they are rather slow, if not in Land Raiders (and IF they are in Land Raiders, your Rail Guns can make short work of them, especially since shrouding doesn`t work vehicles of any kind).

Apart from that, it`s hard to give advice on tactics, since the character of the list can vary widely - lots of Guard; little of Guard; loads of Marines; only a few Marines.
Even more problematic is giving advice like "shoot XY first" - advice like this can`t be given, since we`re dealing with three variables here: 1) your unit, 2) the enemies units, and 3) the actual situation on the battlefield.
Just ask yourself every turn: "What is the most dangerous thing to me right now?", and then go for it.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote