Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me building a army with the models I have
Old 16 Apr 2005, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Help me building a army with the models I have

Since this forum is so friendly I thougth that you guys could help me with making an army out of my current models, it would help a lot!!
heres my models:
1x ethereal
3x crisis (fire knife pttrn)
1x crisis on sprue
2x stealths
12x FW (all PR)
12x FW on sprue
6x pathfinders
1x fish
1x broadside
10x kroot(not sure how many, 10+ I think.. )
15x gun drones
3x shield drones

Thats it, though I´m kind of inpressed myself as I thought it was less, but when you write it down you got a better idea of what you got.
I got the codex and rulebook, though not the new one, but my gaming club has one, so I gotta learn the new rules.
Do you have any ideas what kind of army I can biuld?? lists would be great!! I thinking of fielding a mechanised cadre, but that would burn my wallet badly. Also, I´ll be upp against SMurfs(black templars), IG(tank heavy) and maybe Nids.

This is the things I plan to buy:
1-3 stealth
2pathfinders
1gunfish
1box FW
Not listed by priority.

slai
slai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Help me building a army with the models I have

ok slai, welcome to TO and the tau forums, i hope we can be of help!

My advice would be to start with 1000pt battles first, you have the points to go over this although its a nice limit to start off with and will let you learn more about individual units and their own strengths and weaknesses, and genereal tactics with your tau army.

As it stands you have virtually no heavy support, and 10 kroot is a bit iffy for a team as well, so consider getting 16 kroot, a HH for starters to expand with.

As for an army i would advise building a solid core to a 1000pt army like this -

Commander Shas'el - 85 pts, Plasma, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker,

A versitile commander, capable of dealing with virtually any threat and supporting your army nicely by doing the jobs that your fire base cannot accomplish on their own. Always use the IC rule (its different for 4th ed. so read up) to protect your points here.

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui, Devilfish with Decoy Launchers and a Multi-tracker - 225pts

29 Str 5 shots from under 250 pts and including a transport? You have a solid firebase when deployed and superb maneavourability to aid with objective taking and overall tactical domination. The skimmer hull also gives you protection form cc, and with good front armour and being a skimmer its a solid transport at that. Definately should be present in any army IMO, its short ranged fire power is something to be reckoned with but its main asset is its versitility in role (just how a good tau army should be)

20 Kroot - 140

Filling the other complusory troop slot with a versitile pick are the kroot carnivores, capable of all sorts of roles with their massed attacks in cc or massed bolter shots from behind cover. They can turn a whole game if deployed via infiltration into a jungle, and are excellent frustrators and ambushers...i cannot stress the roles that 20 of these guys can fulfill!

1 HH Gunship, Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Decoy Luanchers - 165

A very solid tank being a skimmer, great front armour and decoy lauchers...and with the most powerful solid shot weapon in the game which can double up as a non scattering ordanance blast template weapon isnt too shbby either. Again this choice is versitile too...it can delvier a mean blow to a squad up close with its burst cannons and a submunitions blast, or sit back and move from target to target, 'sniping' with the railgun...Never go into battle without one in 1000pts.

So there you have what i consider to be an extrememyl solid core (615pts) from which to paint and go on to get a 1000pt army ready. Kepp this core and experiment, you have plentyl of models to do this with so utilise this and find out what works with out best with your tactics and against certain opponents!

Old 16 Apr 2005, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I cant help here I'm sorry to say :-X, you have one Fish ^-^

but I can tell you the next priority to buy, buy nothing else until youve obtained 2 HH and a Fish ^-^ tank city it is.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
dizzygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

that would be good buys to then have a pick of everything to choose from for 1000pts, but if you just get that core that i outlined, you have a very solid and versitile base which can play almost any style and then be built upon in many different ways to include different units and playing styles of your choice!

hope it helps!,
Old 16 Apr 2005, 22:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thx!!!
Though I´ve played a couple of games using my and a friends Tau, so the battle was up to 1500 or even more, I can´t recall. My opponent, had SM and I think I won, slightly. He thougth it was soo boring, as I just used crisis to do "pop up attacks" and said that he would never play against tau anymore .
Old 16 Apr 2005, 22:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by slai
He thougth it was soo boring, as I just used crisis to do "pop up attacks" and said that he would never play against tau anymore
the sign of a bad looser
go here
Old 16 Apr 2005, 23:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I´ve been playing around with the idea of having a shas´el joining (or being skreened by) a unit of 8 drones, and having the the whole shas´el harrasing enemy tanks, transports, assault marines, ect.. while the drones could (with a little luck)be pinning nearby infantery. But I´m not sure if I should arm him with PR, MP, FB, hw MT, (and if joining hw TL) or just fireknife?? the pionts differ from 109-85 (24 if hw TL, if not just 17 diff).
Old 16 Apr 2005, 23:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No hes not a bad looser he was just sooooo annoyed with my crisis teams, I´m sure he would hav said that even if hed won(wich he maybe did)... as I´m know him quite well.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 06:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Utility on an 'El isnt quite as useful, either:

Shas'El
Fireknife

or

Shas'El
TLMP,PR,HWMT

or

Shas'O
PR,MP,FB,HWMT

those are the usual condidates, the 'EL cant be assured enough of hitting.
go here
Old 17 Apr 2005, 10:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

that utility 'o is a fine choice, however at 1000pts i would advise you to give it a miss and instead go with one of the 'el combinations, just using your commander in the same role as your other crisis battlesuits rather than attatching him to drones a forming a seperate unit...thats just me though!

Well done on the victory,