Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Topic: Uses for the Vespid? (Reborn)
Old 20 Mar 2008, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Topic: Uses for the Vespid? (Reborn)

I was reading the Codex and noted that Vespid are vaunted in fluff as Space Marine killers. I did a search of the board and found a thread, Topic: Uses for the Vespid?, but it would be threadomancy to bring it back now (over a year old).

So: does anyone actually use Vespid and their stinging zapguns to down suit-wearing units? I like vespid and was hoping they'd be useful in a game, but consensus seems to be OMG NO.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Topic: Uses for the Vespid? (Reborn)

I think that they work OK in my list. I play semi-hybrid mech tau. I keep the vespids back out of LOS near a static element. When the marines come near, I light them up with the pathfinders and zap them with the vespids. Pathfinders are almost mandatory for this to work as they really need BS 5 to get enough hits.

Otherwise, skilled flyer is great for cityfight, the high I and T helps tie up weedy units in CC, and... and they look really COOL!
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
Otherwise, skilled flyer is great for cityfight, the high I and T helps tie up weedy units in CC, and... and they look really COOL!
I mean, that's frankly why I want to use them. And if they are SM gankers, that would be really nice - fleet bastards with nasty zapguns to fry half the armies fielded.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

i sometimes use them in my army. they usually get ignored, and people let them get close to them. I find that they really aren't that good when put by themselves. i do a mech army, and stick them near the crisis suits. Not once have my vespids been shot, as crisis suits are a much higher priority. If anything tries to engage the suits in combat, they get a face full of neutron blasty goodness. I also but them near pathfinders, in cover, and jump out to protect them if threatened. Vespids make a great response unit. if a part of your army is in danger, then they can get there quickly, and because the enemy is preoccupied, they wont get shot. So the short range isn't a problem.

Vespids are worth their weight in gold in a city fight. No clear line of sight, re-roll dangerous terrain tests, and fleet. What is there not to like. City fight brings out a whole new side of tau, i like it

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 01:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Vespids are a strange paradox. Their guns seem made for killing Marines, but the guns carried by Marines (bolters) are even better at killing Vespid. Their special rules (skilled flyer and fleet) seem made for use in City Fight, but their AP3 guns are a lot less impressive when the entire table is covered in 4+ cover. In short, they're a lot harder to use effectively than they first seem.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 02:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd go after Eldar warp spiders with vespids, but that's just me. It seems that we have better things at killing marines than these strange bug things...

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 03:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I use them as bodyguards for my more important units.
Usually I use their speed to get them in a good place, wittle down enemy units with other units, then jump out, shoot and maybe even assault what's left (I only assault if there's 5+ on my side and 2- on theirs). As long as your enemy's unit doesn't exceed 4-5 models, 6-8 Vespid can take them down.

Other than that, if I'm confronted by say assault marines, Vespid can chase them, wittling down their number, drastically reducing the threat they pose. Careful though, as others have pointed out Vespid are extremely fragile, ideally you want them to jump from cover to cover or at least stay out of LoS of scary things. (which is a rather long list)

All I can say is if you're gonna use them, keep them hidden and only strike if you feel confident retaliation will be minimal.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 04:16   #8 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

They are practically designed for Kill Team. Really to good for your opponent to have much fun. High strength gun, high Initative for assult, fleet, and if you leave the strain leader at home you only break one mutable law (I think), and can have a 10 man (bug?) kill team.

In a regular game they are tricky to use, and are deafinately NOT supposed to stand alone. They need support or must provide support. Good to snag objectives at the last turn or so as well.

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 04:33   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

When I see Vespids, I think of vultures. They will hide amongst the shades until they see a weakened unit, where they will pick upon the weakened unit and proceed to kill them all. They are not standalone units and are best used with other units.

So far I have only used them once, and they perform admirably at that role of opportunistic killers, particularly marine killers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have been thinking as to whether or not I should get some of these seemingly powerful bugs.

I think I just might. But it must take some skill to master their effectiveness on the field.