Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hybrid, Static or Mech
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk
Default Hybrid, Static or Mech

Could someone tell me the benefits of each, maybe even post links to good lists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
copperdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Hybrid, Static or Mech

Static - You get more units and shots per turn as you wont be spending points on transports, but you may need to spend these extra points on counter-attack units. Also you may have trouble in objective based games.

Mech - You can avoid enemy assaulters by hopping around in devilfishes, you may not need to spend points on counter attack units, you wont have problems with grabbing objectives unless your transports are destroyed. But if you don't buy counter-attack units and your transports are destroyed you may be massacred in CC. Also being mech you wont be using Broadsides, which means no TL'ed Railguns and you'll have less units and firepower than static lists.

Hybrid - Best of both worlds; mech units that can grab objectives, but some static heavy firepower that can be protected by counter-assault units.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but here's a link to some links of sample army lists of different point sizes (mech, static, hybrid and Farsight/CB, 500pts, 1000pts, etc.) :P =3

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6372.0
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

My explanation might not be the best, but I'll do what I can.

Static: This involves setting up a gunline using multiple firebases of firewarriors, sniper drone teams, XV88's, possibly pathfinders and such. An Ethereal may be included in some cases. But the idea is to let the enemy come to you, while you're sitting back and shooting. Crisis suits will more than likely be present, to distract and harass, or to act as the hammer while firebases make for a very hostile anvil. Kroot are also a large part of Static in some cases. More Kauyon, more passive in the sense that you wait, and deployment phase is extremely important.

Mech: You will see little in the way of XV88's, sniper drone teams, or firewarriors on foot. Here you will see firewarriors in Devilfish, Hammerheads, Skyrays, many more crisis suits than you would with static, Pirahnas and Gun Drone mobs. With Mech Tau, mobility is your best armor, and the ability to shift across the battlefield essentially on a whim to deal with a threat or take advantage of an opening. There is very little sitting back and shooting involved, instead the Fish of Fury tactic is likely to be employed with firewarriors to take advantage of rapidfire. Very Mont'Ka, far more aggressive than static, deployment is less of an issue.

Hybrid: This is likely what one will see more of Tau. Static firebases composed of Firewarriors on foot, XV88's and sniper teams, backed up by hammerhead, pirahna, Devilfish mounted pathfinders and firewarriors, and Crisis suit support. It lacks the specialization either might have, but helps generalize a bit, allowing it to take on and handle most armies, dependent on the builds. A little from column A, a little from column B.

Hope it helps.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

check this out
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/academy/
Good luck with your new army!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
My explanation might not be the best, but I'll do what I can.

Static: This involves setting up a gunline using multiple firebases of firewarriors, sniper drone teams, XV88's, possibly pathfinders and such. An Ethereal may be included in some cases. But the idea is to let the enemy come to you, while you're sitting back and shooting. Crisis suits will more than likely be present, to distract and harass, or to act as the hammer while firebases make for a very hostile anvil. Kroot are also a large part of Static in some cases. More Kauyon, more passive in the sense that you wait, and deployment phase is extremely important.

Mech: You will see little in the way of XV88's, sniper drone teams, or firewarriors on foot. Here you will see firewarriors in Devilfish, Hammerheads, Skyrays, many more crisis suits than you would with static, Pirahnas and Gun Drone mobs. With Mech Tau, mobility is your best armor, and the ability to shift across the battlefield essentially on a whim to deal with a threat or take advantage of an opening. There is very little sitting back and shooting involved, instead the Fish of Fury tactic is likely to be employed with firewarriors to take advantage of rapidfire. Very Mont'Ka, far more aggressive than static, deployment is less of an issue.

Hybrid: This is likely what one will see more of Tau. Static firebases composed of Firewarriors on foot, XV88's and sniper teams, backed up by hammerhead, pirahna, Devilfish mounted pathfinders and firewarriors, and Crisis suit support. It lacks the specialization either might have, but helps generalize a bit, allowing it to take on and handle most armies, dependent on the builds. A little from column A, a little from column B.

Hope it helps.
yeh, what he said :P
Old 19 Mar 2008, 20:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Static: Uses primarily static elements, along with support units. Dedicated assault units will EAT THEM ALIVE!

Mech: Every unit should be able to move 12" each turn. You'll be protected from most assault squads, but if you lose your transports your screwed. Your mobility gives you many benefits, such as greater concentration of firepower and greater survivability.

Hybrid: Gives you some benefits from the other two styles, but not all.

I personally like mech... And mech doesn't neccesarily rule out Broadsides, if given A.S.S.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 20:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, true, but using your own guidelines:

Quote:
Mech: Every unit should be able to move 12" each turn.
They aren't really the best choice, especially if your whole army legs it to the opposite side of the board while the broadside(s) is (are) left on their own to be slaughtered by the enemy.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's true, but it's a gamble ;D I've always used mine to good effect, and by the time any enemy units can get to them, they've already done their job! I usually use the Broadsides as an anchor of sorts, my tanks and suits sort of 'orbiting' around them.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 23:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk

Thanks for all the help. I'm thinking of doing either hybrid or mech now. Feel free to post any other advice you think helpful.

EDIT: One more thing, does anyone have suggestions for good crisis builds? Because the only ones I know are fire knife and death rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
copperdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fireknifes are good, deathrains are really great when you consider their point cost. I also like plasma fusion blaster combos, with a multi tracker and maybe a SD if their job involves suicidal odds (with this crisis loadout, suicidal attacks on termies or armor will almost always end up earning you equal or more points to what it costs to field him).

The main problem with the fb/pr crisis is its lack of range, which means he simply dies more often than say, your deathrains. If you aren't too attached to him though, and let him get into dicey situations, he will usually earn his worth before death. And when they live, its a lot of victory points denied for your opponent and usually a lot earned for you from it.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote