Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lessons Learned
Old 17 Mar 2008, 14:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Lessons Learned

So I played a nice 1750 game the other day vs. 750 Eldar and 1000 Thousand Sons. I came out with a nice 300-400 VP lead. Cool.

Lessons learned:
1) Pathfinders should never use their scout move to get into a compromising position. I probably wasted 1600 ish points of pathfinders positioning htemselves very poorly. The generated, maybe, 3-4 markerlight hits all game, because they were effectively done on the 2nd turn.

Pathfinders should be supported, and hang out with your firewarriors, if it's possible. Firewarriors should be set up to contorl important lanes of fire(I did that last night), the pathfinders should be set up to enhance those warriors.

Because where there's 400-500pts of infantry concentrated, your enenmy will aim to come after it. Firewarriors have a great stand-off potential, and they're not easy to shift if they're in cover.

Use the concentration of enemy force to attack vulnerable sides. That brings me to my next point...

2) Take advantage of your manueverability, if you have it. I didn't. I had a warfish, 7 Stealthsuits and 4 gun drones who were all commited peacemeal and had very little effect in the game. That's something I didn't really like. This mainly occured because I split my stealth suits up to operate on two flanks, and then I Had my 'fish hang out near the center of my army.

In retrospect, I should have concentrated my 'fish and suits together, utilizing them as a mobile force capable of concentrating fire on single enemy units. As it was, the stealth suits and warfish did a little bit, but they were divided and essentially irrelevant.

So again, utilize your mobility. Mobile troops can concentrate quickly and do some damage. If you spread them out piecemeal amongst your army, then you're going to get hurt. This is the lesson of the German Panzer troops. Concentrate your mobile elements and use them to break the enemy and claim objectives.

3) Deepstirking helios is awesome.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 16:06   #2 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Lessons Learned

You are learning well in the ways of the Tau, young grasshopper :. But deep-striking Helios :sadnshocked:, usually that's too expensive.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

for the 1st one, well yes, their going to get shot if you put them in line of sight of a baneblade :P 1600 points? o.0 I hope you ment to say 160 because 1600 of Pathfinders is bad in a 1750 game :P

The 2nd, ahh manouverability, something Tau are very good at, take advantage of the suits jet pack abilities, jump out from cover, shoot, then jump back in again, it never fails to infuriate your opponent :P

Deep striking Helios is not always awesome, it can scatter off of the table, Unlucky :P
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 16:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

that's why you use a Devilfish to re-roll scatter.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 22:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Some nice observations... As you stated, Tau work better when concentrated, not when spread out in a wide front! I also tend to deep strike some of my suits... While risky, the potential payoff is pretty awsome. And as long as you're smart with where you land them, they can do some nasty damage. I once took down a Wave Serpent, a Falcon and a Fire Prism on turn 2 with deepstriking Fireknifes! Be careful with the Fusion Blaster, though... I wouldn't recommamend trying to deepstrike your suit close enough to use it. That's just asking to be shot up by rapidfire!
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote