Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best outfitting for Farsight's bodyguards
Old 16 Mar 2008, 04:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Best outfitting for Farsight's bodyguards

Okay, here's the question that I've been mulling over. What do you think is the best way to kit out O'Shovah's bodyguards. I originally thought of making them slightly different, giving them each some character; but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward 7 crisis suits with twin-linked plasma and a targeting array. It keeps the points down a bit (around 400 points for all seven suits approximately) and keeps the unit able to destroy just about any unit it comes across (at 12", 14 plasma shots hitting on 3's and re-rolling misses plus O'shovah's shots). I haven't had a chance to test this configuration yet, and just wanted to hear some feedback.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 05:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Best outfitting for Farsight's bodyguards

Well if you are going to twinlink the rifles, you pretty much don't need to add the Multi-Tracker. I would make the unit just a tad bit more expensive and give them all Shield Generators. Or if you think you'll be safe from AP weaponry, give certain ones a target lock, that way you can put the squad in a position to give LoS to different squads to seperate your fire economically instead of putting 16 shots into the same squad that would die with just 8 shots. Just my 2 cents.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 05:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I second the target lock. You're not always going to have a target that warrants all the fire that a squad like that can put out. I would give one "lucky" soul the Failsafe Detonator, too. That will mess with anybody who gets into assault with them. There should probably be at least 4 shield drones too in a squad that size, as you don't want some joker with a lascannon Instant Deathing suits if they manage to get line of sight to you. As far as weapons, that will depend on what you're otherwise missing from your list. The HQ crisis suits in a Tau list have to fill in whatever the rest of the army isn't equipped to do.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 08:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use a Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Shield Generator Suit and a Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Shield Generator, HardWired Targetlock, Failsafe Detonator Suit.
They're like O'Shovah without the sword.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the ideas. I've always thought of the failsafe detonator for the squad, because as it stands right now, Farsight's squad is the only one that can have it and use it reliably, since three man crisis teams are usually butchered by wounds outright if they have to run and stealth teams can't have them. The target locks are a nice idea and won't cost too much, and I'll look into shield drones or generators for the group. I guess if I'm planning on paying 70 or so points for each one, I might as well keep them safe.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korill
I use a Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Shield Generator Suit and a Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Shield Generator, HardWired Targetlock, Failsafe Detonator Suit.
They're like O'Shovah without the sword.
You'd be better off with twin-linked plasma than plasma and TA. Same cost, and twin-link is better than +1 BS.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote