Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Necron Tau
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Anti-Necron Tau

Hello Tauonline. Im sure you all are tired of people asking for help in making a list that is tooled against another specific army. Well, this is another one of those. Im playing a 2000pt Grudge match against a professor of mine who plays Necrons and I want to tool my list against the cursed 'Crons since I know he will be trying to tool his against mine. (probably loading up on Wraiths, Swarms, and Flayed Ones). What would be some key components in an Anti-Necron list?
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Anti-Necron Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
Hello Tauonline. Im sure you all are tired of people asking for help in making a list that is tooled against another specific army. Well, this is another one of those. Im playing a 2000pt Grudge match against a professor of mine who plays Necrons and I want to tool my list against the cursed 'Crons since I know he will be trying to tool his against mine. (probably loading up on Wraiths, Swarms, and Flayed Ones). What would be some key components in an Anti-Necron list?
I know I'm not that great of a tactician Chris, but imo when I read the Necron weaknesses (lol I read those to see what I should do for my Nid army should I ever face em.) Is to pick off the Rez Orb Asap, insta death or AP weps, and to make sure that you can take out full squads so they dont get the WBB rule. And, try to make em Phase out. So lots of strong Daka, which your army does fairly well, would be good to take also.
takahashikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashikun
Quote:
I know I'm not that great of a tactician Chris, but imo when I read the Necron weaknesses (lol I read those to see what I should do for my Nid army should I ever face em.) Is to pick off the Rez Orb Asap, insta death or AP weps, and to make sure that you can take out full squads so they dont get the WBB rule. And, try to make em Phase out. So lots of strong Daka, which your army does fairly well, would be good to take also.
I know about their WWB and the strong need to take out the Res Orb considering I used to play Necrons. (Quite succesfully might I add) The question is asking what are some useful units, weapons or configurations to use against 'Crons. Not what to do against them.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Ionheads are the Nasty vs Necrons, despite still allowing WBB rolls.
Missile Pods are so-so, Fusion Blasters and Plasma Rifles really come in to their own against crons. Remember, a PR costs a little more than a 'cron warrior, so more than permanent kill and it's already made it's points back.

Submunition rounds are awesome vs Scarabs: Vulnerable to Blasts, plus an instant death inflicting blast? I'll take some. Each successful wound insta-kills 2 bases of scarabs.

Fusion Piranha: Not that their survivability was that great in the first place, but be careful if you use 'em.

Broadsides w/A.S.S. & Plasma Rifles (and HWMT where possible). A veritable ton of AP 1/2 firepower.
Or sniper drones, not instant death, but still unbeliveably nasty vs 'crons.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know about their WWB and the strong need to take out the Res Orb considering I used to play Necrons. (Quite succesfully might I add) The question is asking what are some useful units, weapons or configurations to use against 'Crons. Not what to do against them.
Ahhh, hmmm well since I am not a Tau player, more luck to ya bro XD. You gonna be there tommorow? I might go too.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ahhh, hmmm well since I am not a Tau player, more luck to ya bro XD. You gonna be there tommorow? I might go too.
Thanks. I'm playing him on Wednesday at Rice Village if you want to come along Brian. Tomorrow gotta work.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I'm playing him on Wednesday at Rice Village if you want to come along Brian. Tomorrow gotta work.
Ok, sounds fun. Call me tommorow or sumthin, most likely, I will be buying the bulk of my Nid force tommorow, The only thing after I get my bulk force is to wait for my Tyrant to come into the mail, and by Next Saturday, I should have most of everything done lol. Probably just my Tyrant painted, and my army built.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmm...a Railhead is your best call vs. Necrons. Eliminate his Monolith and suddenly his WBB rolls are at 50% instead of 75% efficiency. After this, you go for either the Tomb Spyders or his Resorb...the problem is since the Lord is an IC, picking him out is difficult. Aside from stocking up on Hammerheads and Plasmasuits though, all you can do is pray to whatever you worship for a chance at victory and pray he doesn't go for a Destroyer Lord attached to a Scarab Swarm.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 04:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't chase the Lord Around. If you have the opportunity to destroy the squad he's with, take it, but don't give it undue attention.

As said, Railheads are great for the Monolith and the Scarabs, not to mention the S6 pie plate forces a lot of saves on the regular warriors.

A Ninja'O can tie up warriors with relative ease, jump out, blast them, and tie them up again.

Be careful if you play mech tau as the gauss rule can really bite.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 04:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You want to be heavy on AP3 or better weapons, and light on vehicles (because Gauss weapons will always glance on a 6). I'd still use an ionhead, since they're awesome, but don't get it close enough for the burst cannons or regular warriors will pick it off. A squad of broadsides with plasma will be your friend, particularly if he has a monolith. Rail rifles rock, so sniper drones or big-gun pathfinders would be solid choices, and kroot do remarkably well against necron warriors. Come to think of it, Vespid might do well also, since they've got good AP and could survive in assault against warriors. Plasma / fusion crisis suits will be another standby. This assumes you're facing mostly warriors. If he has scarabs, it might be worth having a guy running around with an ABF or some flamers.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote