Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Making an Army out of the Megaforce...
Old 13 Mar 2008, 03:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Making an Army out of the Megaforce...

What is the best army list that you could make out of a megaforce and a commander?

I don't know if it's the best, but here's mine:

Shas'O - 135 Points
CiB, PR, MT, SG

Crisis Suit - 62 Points
PR, MP, MT

Crisis Suit - 62 Points
PR, MP, MT

Stealth Suits of 3 - 120 points
All TA

Fire Warriors of 12 - 205 Points
Devilfish with DL

Fire Warriors of 8 - 95 Points
Shas'ui with BK

Pirahna - 75 Points
DL, FB TA

Pirahna - 75 Points
DL, FB, TA

Hammerhead - 170 Points
Railgun, DL, MT, 2 BC, TL

999 Points
Ivellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 03:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Making an Army out of the Megaforce...

Only thing I see that I don't think is ever worth it is Cyclic Ion Blaster, I used it a few games, never again. Unless you intend to sacrifice a goat to the dice gods before every game, its not worth it.

Everything else looks ok, what kind of army will you be fighting against or is this just a general purpose army?
Old 13 Mar 2008, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

General purpose, the armies I'll face most often are DH Allied SM and Orks, total opposite of the spectrum, so I figured general purpose would be best.
Ivellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 04:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dont necessarily disregard the cyclic ion blaster. If you use it by itself, maybe, but I love the idea of using it with the plasma rifle, or heck even the missile pod with a multi tracker feature.

Because when it wounds, it will either be ap4, or on a 6 ap1, win, win. The versatility of it, is what I love about it.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I dig the CIB too. I tend to be a bit lucky with it facing marines, and it's just nasty against anything with t3 and a 4+ save.

I know you're trying to build from the megaforce, but when you get more models, I'd drop the TA off of the Stealth suits. For the same points, you could have 4 and have the same expected number of hits. On top of that you'd have 4 total wounds and you opponent would have to kill 3 instead of 2 to bring the unit to non-scoring.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
Yeah, I dig the CIB too. I tend to be a bit lucky with it facing marines, and it's just nasty against anything with t3 and a 4+ save.

I know you're trying to build from the megaforce, but when you get more models, I'd drop the TA off of the Stealth suits. For the same points, you could have 4 and have the same expected number of hits. On top of that you'd have 4 total wounds and you opponent would have to kill 3 instead of 2 to bring the unit to non-scoring.
Fair point, but... you only get three in the megaforce.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 15:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Like I said, something to think on later. Even numbers are always better for scoring-ness.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey, Ivellis,

You made a solid purchase choice with the Megaforce. The Commander box wasn't totally essential (vs. just a regular XV8 box), but it's definately good to have a set of special weapons.

Anyways, I'd strongly suggest you take the TAs off the Stealth suits and the DLs off the Piranhas. Firstly, they aren't totally essential for those units, but more importantly, your two Fireknives NEED the TA's. This will require them to be upgraded to Team Leader Monats (to get H-W MTs) and will cost you 30 points. Especially at your current points level, you should never field Fireknives that are below BS4.

I would also suggest switching the model counts on the mounted and footslogging FW teams. Your choice, but I just think the footsloggers would need more bodies than the mounted dudes. Besides, a single squad doing FoF will not be overly effective regardless of its unit size. Another option is to make them both 10 10.

That said, here's a list I whipped up that you could consider:

HQ:

Shas'O
- H-W Multi-Tracker
- Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-Thrusters
- 125 pts
A typical Ninja'O-type setup. He should help out a bit by tying up small firebases. Otherwise, he's got a really good anti-infantry shooting ability.

Elites:

XV8 Crisis Team (1x Shas’ui)
- Team Leader
- H-W Drone Controller, H-W Multi-Tracker, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array
- 77 pts

XV8 Crisis Team (1x Shas’ui)
- Team Leader
- H-W Drone Controller, H-W Multi-Tracker, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array
- 77 pts
It's very important for Fireknives to shoot at at least BS4! On the other hand, Fireknives are probably ideal right now, as they will give a heavier weight of fire than the TL'ers, which you don't have en masse yet.

XV25 Stealth Team (3x Stealth Suits)
- 3x Burst Cannons
- 90 pts
You can only do so much with 3 stealths. I'd just leave them vanilla for now.

Troops:

Firewarrior Team w. Devilfish
- 7x Shas'la + 1x Shas'ui w. Pulse Rifles
- Devilfish: SMS, Decoy Launcher, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array
- 215 pts
You will probably find the 1-squad FoF pretty disappointing regardless of unit size. By downsizing them and putting an SMS on the DF, the squad remains a dangerous (scoring) unit without having to continually dismount and risk dying

Firewarrior Team
- 11x Shas'la w. Pulse Rifles + 1x Shas'ui w. Pulse Rifle, Bonding Knife, H-W Drone Controller & 2x Gun Drones
- 155 pts
Alot tougher than your original setup

Fast Attack:

Piranha Light Skimmer Team (1x Piranha)
- Fusion Blaster, Gun Drones
- Targeting Array
- 70 pts

- Targeting Array
- 70 pts

- Targeting Array
- 70 pts
I was able to fit all 3 Fusion Piranhas! The three together make a decent enough tank-buster group that you will (probably) be able to do without a Railgun!

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead Gunship (Ion)
- Ion Cannon, 2x Burst Cannon
- Decoy Launcher, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pod, Target Lock
- 140 pts
The Ion Cannon will help a lot in the str7, anti-transport/skimmer dept., which will probably be more dangerous for you at this points level. Overall, this setup is tough and can get right into your opponents face, hopefully keeping any assaulters away from your vulnerable FWs & XV8s.

Total: 999 pts

This variation has 5 skimmers over your original 4. This is a lot of skimmers for 1000pts, which is good. I also toughened up your two big skimmers. Hopefully this will further this list's ability to overwhelmn opponents' anti-tank. Even though you have no kroot yet, I think the heavy mechanization will help protect you from enemy assaulters.

Regardless of what you choose, I think you're on a good start. If you choose to expand from here, some good choices would be some Kroot, a couple more Crisis (ieeathrains) / Stealths, and another Heavy option.

Hope that helps,

Floob

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 04:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Floobosaurus's list does look pretty good, except you wouldn't have a SMS for the Devilfish if you only have the Megaforce. I would drop it anyway, I love the free drones. The SMS is 20 points more to give you 2 more shots that can't detach and form a 2 wound unit. The drones can always be used to create an annoyance and your opponent rarely bothers to shoot them. That would free up 20 points to get the other two firewarriors. I'd also take them in 2 squads of 10. A 20 shot FOF is really nice, and like I said earlier, even numbers are better for scoring-ness.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 07:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
Floobosaurus's list does look pretty good, except you wouldn't have a SMS for the Devilfish if you only have the Megaforce. I would drop it anyway, I love the free drones. The SMS is 20 points more to give you 2 more shots that can't detach and form a 2 wound unit. The drones can always be used to create an annoyance and your opponent rarely bothers to shoot them. That would free up 20 points to get the other two firewarriors. I'd also take them in 2 squads of 10. A 20 shot FOF is really nice, and like I said earlier, even numbers are better for scoring-ness.
Actually, it isnt that hard to make burstcannons for a hammerhead with 2 gundrones and some spare burstcannons (either from crisis suits, or the ones from the hammerhead sprue), that way, you can have both the SMS and the burst cannons.

On a side note, id remove the 2 distruption pods, and put a stim injector on the shas'o instead. Distruption pods aren't worth it, on skimmers that should be moving 6+" all the time.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote