Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Themed army idea....what do you think?
Old 12 Mar 2008, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Themed army idea....what do you think?

The Elsy'eir: Renouned for their poetry and artwork. They are considered the creative sept.

I was thinking. I have had my Tau army for a while but only been playing "non-primered legions" because I couldn't make up my mind how I wanted to do them. (I take a while to think about it first.) I was thinking that I could put custom artworks and fancy-smancy designs on the suits and such. What do you all think of this idea and what do you think the theme of the "art" should be? I was thinking of being very ornate...but do you all think this would be tacky? Ideas? Suggestions? I would really like some input...what would make you go...."WOW! That's amazing!!!"
Old 12 Mar 2008, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Themed army idea....what do you think?

Well, Tau are quite modern in their approach to war in that they operate in camouflage gear. The reason they're all in the ochre is because they are from a desert planet.

However, that's just a fluff thing. While I doubt the Fire Caste would paint pretty pictures on their tanks and battlesuits, I don't deny it'd look cool.

I'd probably go for some oriental stylings, but that's because I love the orient and it is kinda the Tau's inspiration. But tribal symbols or Celtic stuff would also look cool. If you do it well you'll be quite striking, although it might seem a bit Eldar-y. Not that that's a bad thing.

As with anything, it's your hobby and you can do what you like. I think it'd be cool to play against an arty Tau army, but I'd limit the colour palette if doing it myself as I'd keep the art quite abstract unless your freehand skill is immense. Not sure what you'd paint though, as flowers and things aren't really appropriate and the Tau don't really take glory in skulls and such.

I'd say you should go for it. If you're underconfident about painting, get down to the Hobby sections and talk to people about freehand. I can do it a little, but I'm totally not the person to advise you on it =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 19:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would go with Safyid artwork. That seems like a cool option.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I am trying to find some good examples of Safyid artwork....did you mean Safavid?
Old 13 Mar 2008, 14:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I am honestly thinking of oriental dragons and such. I think I can manage it. I toyed with celtic knots but the two do not mix.....tribal looks to tatoo like to me.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

A similar topic popped up over at ATT a while back, but the concept in question was that he wanted to know if the Tau had any specific "Mythology" that he could utilize on his models.

Tau Mythology Thread

Perhaps this'll give you some creative inspiration.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Pimp my Crisis Suit? I like....

I'm not sure how it would jig with the greater good, having individual artworks on the armour, but I can't believe it would be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Well, there are two sides to this coin.

---

On one side, you have the pragmatic, practical, efficient Tau outlook on war - the one that says "camouflage, stealth, subterfuge, efficiency, and overwhelming firepower" without all the bells and whistles of enormous flowing banners or giant red "shoot me" signs.

On the other side, however, you have the deep-seeded traditional and ceremonial side of Tau culture - the one that says killing eachother in ceremonial duels, performing ritual scarification on ones self, putting giant warpaint stripes on your armor, and painting yourself bright reflective silver to mess with your enemy's heads is a good thing. That's the side that says wearing the giant flowing banners and big red "shoot me" signs are a good thing, too. :

---

Personally, I feel both sides can be argued back and forth, but it remains the fact that the Tau philosophy blends equally into into both, so I don't see a little bit of "eccentric" artistic expression as something that's a total affront to the Greater Good.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 16:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Well, there are two sides to this coin.

---

On one side, you have the pragmatic, practical, efficient Tau outlook on war - the one that says "camouflage, stealth, subterfuge, efficiency, and overwhelming firepower" without all the bells and whistles of enormous flowing banners or giant red "shoot me" signs.

On the other side, however, you have the deep-seeded traditional and ceremonial side of Tau culture - the one that says killing eachother in ceremonial duels, performing ritual scarification on ones self, putting giant warpaint stripes on your armor, and painting yourself bright reflective silver to mess with your enemy's heads is a good thing. That's the side that says wearing the giant flowing banners and big red "shoot me" signs are a good thing, too. :

---

Personally, I feel both sides can be argued back and forth, but it remains the fact that the Tau philosophy blends equally into into both, so I don't see a little bit of "eccentric" artistic expression as something that's a total affront to the Greater Good.
AAAND don`t forget that most Cadres have some sort of "ceremnonial vestments" as well - and I can`t thik of a better fluff than an army which was ripped out of a life of "boring" ceremonial duty into the hellfires of battle...

"Ui`Tyen, are we prepared for the ceremony tomorrow? What is in that box? LIFE ammunition? Why are you in such a hurry? And what about the Manta parked outside?"
"Shas`la, gather your gear - we`re going to WAR!"
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2008, 16:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

That's proper awesome, Bonesaw. I'm gonna write a short story on that later this evening
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote