Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield drones with 2+ sv?
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Shield drones with 2+ sv?

I am just visiting the tau forum because I recently played a tau player and he had used some rules that I was hoping to get clarification on.

First off, shield drones attached to broadside teams have a 2+ armor save but you still roll to wound against the broadside's toughness? I don't have new codex for them but the guy i was playing had two broadside teams and each had 6 shield drones that were like terminators to kill before I could even touch the actual broadsides. That just seemed overpowered so I thought I'd question it.

Also, he had stealth teams with each team leader carrying a fusion blaster that could fire at a separate unit than the one his squad was shooting at. Is that a multi-tracker or something? It was just kind of annoying to have my gaunts get shot with burst cannons and my carnifex get shot with a fusion blaster all from the same squad.

Anyway, I was just hoping someone could enlighten me without me having to go buy a codex for an army I don't use. Thanks!
Lord Alliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Shield drones with 2+ sv?

Shield drones have the saves and toughness of the unit they are defending but they are far from overpowered as they cost a lot to add and count toward the total number of models for purposes of morale checks when they die.

The Tau do have the ability to fire at 2 targets with the proper gear. It's called a Target Lock and the firing unit must declare targets before the to hit rolls are made.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

The drones also count for squad size determining if/when they take tests.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Next time just ask to see his codex. You would have found very quickly everything that he did was legal. Also remember a broadside with A.S.S and two shield drones is like 120 points, or double a termy. They should be hard to kill.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

On the shield drones - they take on the save and toughness of the controller, basically to avoid the screw up the mixed armour rules caused in 3rd edition codex. So yes, they can have a 2+ save. You roll to wound against the squad toughness of 4, and he assigns wounds as he sees fit, so lascannons on drones, bolters on normal guys. Note as well that using torrent of fire, you can force a wound onto a broadside as well.

On the stealths, yes they can do that. Its called a Target Lock, and if one stealth takes an upgrade, they must ALL take something, IIRC.

Tau upgrades work along the lines of "Take the shooting rules, and ignore them completely".

I love it

Edit: frak me, beaten by 3 replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To clarify on Target Lock:

The unit must declare who is shooting at, the model with the target lock may declare that it is going to shoot at a different unit but must then pass a leadership test (like a target priority test) in order to do so. Otherwise they have to fire with the rest of the unit. That's my understanding of the rule.

Also, a Stealth Team Leader has access to the armoury equipment so his goons don't have to take an upgrade if he has one. If ANY of the goons want an upgrade then they ALL have to take one.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
To clarify on Target Lock:

The unit must declare who is shooting at, the model with the target lock may declare that it is going to shoot at a different unit but must then pass a leadership test (like a target priority test) in order to do so. Otherwise they have to fire with the rest of the unit. That's my understanding of the rule.

Also, a Stealth Team Leader has access to the armoury equipment so his goons don't have to take an upgrade if he has one. If ANY of the goons want an upgrade then they ALL have to take one.
Are you quite sure? I always read it that if any squad member (leader included) took an equipment upgrade (aside from Fusions of course) then everyone had to be equipped with something.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm fairly sure. I'll check my 'dex when I get home.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 15:09   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Each team member may select one battlesuit support system. If they do all members have to take one.

Team leaders may also select items from the battlesuit wargear list.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 15:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So basically under the current codex the Tau have become what they were originally supposed to be in the shooting phase? Good to know.

The reason I questioned it was because the guy cheated like crazy with his Dark Eldar the games before that so i was wary in this game. I didn't really mind, though. The game was left unfinished, sad to say. By the third turn neither side had made a significant dent in the other. It was 4500 pts a side. Orks, Chaos, and my (small) force of nids, vs Tau and Necrons. They had lost the squad of stealth suits, a 10+ warrior squad, and two wraith squads, along with some random other guys from various units, and our side had lost most of a mob of orks, some gaunts, and a chaos lord with jump pack that got caught out in the open when the stealth suits got shot to death by the orks and the entire tau army focused on him. Lol. He made an insane amount of invulnerable saves, though.

Thanks for the (immediate) replies! Very helpful.
Lord Alliben is offline   Reply With Quote