Closed Thread
Old 15 Apr 2005, 15:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default My Hybrid Tau tournament army

TAU ARMY take 3

HQ
Ethereal - 50pts

Elite
Crisis Team - 2 crisis suits with a multi tracker, missile pod, plasma rifle.- 130pts

Crisis Team - 2 crisis suits with a multi tracker, missile pod, plasma rifle.- 130pts

Troops
Fire warrior team - 12 fire wariors - 120pts

Fire warrior team - 11 fire wariors devilfish with decoy launchers - 195pts

Fire warrior team - 12 fire wariors devilfish with decoy launchers - 205pts

kroot carnivore squad - 11 kroot - 77pts

Fast attack

path finder team - Devilfish with decoy launchers - 157pts

Heavy support

Hammerhead - decoy launchers, Multi tracker, Railgun, smart missile system, target lock, Disruption pod - 185pts

Hammerhead - decoy launchers, seeker missile, Multi tracker, Railgun, smart missile system, target lock - 190pts

Hammerhead - decoy launchers, seeker missile, Multi tracker, Railgun, smart missile system, target lock - 190pts

Total – 1999pts

Well that’s my third and hopefully final list ill post. I think I like this one the best as it gives me a large fast moving element as well as lots of fire warrior fire power. Well what do you think?

Old 15 Apr 2005, 15:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: My Hybrid Tau tournament army

TGUO:

Not bad. But I think there's a few issues. Your Ethereal is -very- important in your list due to the lack of Shas'ui upgrades. This is not a bad thing, but it does put a lot more emphasis on him. I assume you're fielding him in a Devilfish with the 11x Firewarrior squad. This is totally fine of course, but very risky as well because a lot of the force is static so they will be receiving routine fire.

HQ:

Good choice, he's actually necessary in this list.

Elites:

I would combine these into two squads of 3. The reason for that stems from 50% strength and last man standing rules. Suits generally are best run in squads of 3 or solo.

Troops:

Nothing wrong with this setup of stock firewarriors and lots of them. However, the Shas'ui upgrade does become very tempting here to help keep them around. The reason for that is that they'll quickly be testing on a re-rollable Ld6 once they've taken enough casualty which is a world of difference from Ld7. It may be important to afford those Shas'ui upgrades, but not necessary vital so long as you have that Ethereal. If you lose the Ethereal though, your army will be in danger unfortunately.

The Kroot are ok, but I would not bother with this squad. For these points, you could field a Commander or maybe another Devilfish by scraping a few points from elseware. 11 Kroot just aren't going to be much in a 2,000 point list. However, they could be a cheap objective holder, so in those cases, they're useful there.

Fast attack:

6 pathfinders aren't a good idea to me. I'd recommend filling them out if you're leaving them at Ld7. They're quickly going to become Ld6 with just minor casualties and they're very expensive to lose so fast. They're the longer range of most of the army on foot, and may be on the receiving end of a heavy bolter, which totally breaks them. If you go up to 8x Pathfinders, it would be more worthwhile.

Heavies:

These hammerheads are all ok to me, though I'd drop disruption pods as they're really not that helpful. Maybe afford a black sun filter instead, which will prove to be very helpful if you play any night fight games.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi thanks for the nice response. I originally did have the suits in units of 3 but was told so many time to change them to units of two, so I did. Do the squads have to take last man standing tests every turn if one dies? If they do then I may turn them back into squads of three.

I think I may add to more path finders onto the squad. Any suggestions on what to drop (firewarriors?)

Yup the Kroot are there to claim quarters and anoy the enemy. (Ive also got 12 painted up)

The disruption pod was only put on the Hammerhead because I had a few points left over. In tournaments with a night fight mission Ill add Blacksun filters to all the Hammerheads.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Oh my - Just realised you're new to the board! Welcome Great Unclean One. Please stop by the Introduce Yourself board and tell us a bit about yourself for a proper welcoming

Now to answer your question. Yes if you come down to a single suit in your Crisis squads, you are subject to last man standing. It's the same for squads of 3, but you at least don't start that test when you take your first casualty.

I would drop kroot in this list before dropping anything else (in terms of making points for pathfinders, upgrades, etc). But if that's not an option, the seeker missiles could be something to drop (2 of them is hardly going to make an impact on the game).
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi thanks for the welcome ill go introduce myself.

I supose the seeker missiles would be the thing to drop. My only problen is I have a distinct lack of heavy anti tank weapons in the army (Idealy I would want my Hammerheads to be using submunitions each turn). There are some nasty side/rear armour shots that can be made with good Hammerhead positioning.

Ill also try out both suit squad sizes and see which works best for me. The good thing about 2 suit squads is that they are never below half strength.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

as your mecha concience I'd advise dropping footslogging FW's and the kroot and replacing them wth 40 kroot and a stealth team.

but most of all, Read the Bible (link in sig) it'll save your soul as Aunat is saying now :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would consider dumping at least one of the crisis teams and taking an 'el instead - he's much better and much more difficult to kill if you abuse use the IC rules. The list really would be better if you shaved off at least one FW team and pumped up the number of kroot - it would provide a bit more of a buffer zone and also give you some real counter-charge capabilities.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

you forgot the 'Ui's if the etheral goes those FW need 'Ui's and I'd give them 'ui right now for target priority :P
go here
Old 16 Apr 2005, 03:36   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to (Your Name)

I'd probably use two shas's o, but then i would add shas'ui upgrade. Ethereals are only good for passing leadership test and if they die WOW big no no. and also what about the tau best weapon the broadside, I mean come on S 10 AP 1 thats two dice with armour penetration plus twin linked plasma or smart missile. And one last thing you forgot stealth suits those guys may seem bad at first but with jet pacts and all of there goodies wow there a bucket of fun.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 04:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Your Name)
and also what about the tau best weapon the broadside, I mean come on S 10 AP 1 thats two dice with armour penetration plus twin linked plasma or smart missile.
it may have been in 3rd ed, but not anymore, there is no best weapon or unit for Tau, and where did you get two Ap dice from? this is 4th edition, not 3rd you know? :P
go here
Closed Thread