Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do i kill terminators?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Apr 2005, 10:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default How do i kill terminators?

I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me how to destroy terminators( Mainly Deathwing ), because i keep getting beaten at my local store.*

* * * *Aquila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How do i kill terminators?

One word: Plasma. If you're routinely running into termies you should probably be using a list that includes a few crisis suits with plasma.

Massed fire power also can be used, especially with small, elite armies - if you force them to take enough saves they will fail some and they can't afford the casualties. Submunitions are handy to drop on deep striking units since they come down in a convenient pie-plate shape which guarantees hitting them all.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Twin linked plasma Crisis suits kill 'em dead. Take a target lock as your third choice. Shield gens aren't worth it against terminator armies- Only the Cyclone denies you a save, and all other weapons are worthless against terminators- fusion blaster is too short range and the other weapons termies laugh at. The Pieplate isn't a bad idea. And suprising a group of broadsides will pummel Terminators- 2+ saves against termie weapons and 3 Str 10 TL shots against them with a 75% chance of hitting can't be beat. Fire warriors even in massed firepower are worthless in this situation ( 36 fire warriors will only kill 2 terminators on average- not effective at all). Basically these things you should take- minimise fire warriors (you'll just get your poor soldiers killed), Maximise crisis suits with plasma guns, take a unit of broadsides in cover, Take hammer heads but only with railguns- Ion cannons are great against power armor but worthless against terminator armor, and a good unit of pathfinders to markerlight targets- this is a situation where they will shine. Do not take Kroot, stealth suits, gun drones, or devilfish. With these units terminators even with assault cannons will have a very difficult time with you and so long as you are smart they will never engage your troops in HTH. With mobility and using your brain you will take apart a deathwing army completely on your terms and with minimal casualties. Good Hunting my friend and remember this- Marines Cry cheese a lot but since their codex came out all other armies are free to take the gloves off. There is no cheese anymore- be it 3 hammerheads, 3 wraith lords, tons of plasma rifles and star cannons, Guard with as many pie-plates as they can get, and so on. Kill marines at every opportunity!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 13:51   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah Col Wolf is right here the only effective way to kill termies is to unload liguid metal (Plasma) on them. Or at least this is the only effective way

Caboose: MY NAME IS MICHAEL J. CABOOSE... AND I HATE BABIES!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 14:11   #5 (permalink)
UXO
Shas'La

This isn't much of a how to but this happened to me over the weekend. My buddy deepstriked a squad right in the middle of all my stuff. He opened fire at my twin linked plasma suits. Good thing I had a shield generator. The assault cannon rolled two 6's. Somehow I managed to make all my saves. Then on my turn I of course let them have everything I had (12 firewarriors, 2 broadsides, 2 fusion/missile suits, 2TL plasma suits). Managed to kill 3. Then I charged him with my plasma suits. Thanks to the shield generator again, I managed to kill one and made my saves. I finished off the last one in the next assault phase. Clearly his dice had abandoned him. So I don't recommend doing this at all but it sure was fun. Of course since I spent a whole turn focused only on the terminators the rest of his army got into great positions and the SM won the game.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 14:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

There are several ways to deal with Terminators in my experience.

Plasma is an obvious choice. Twin-linked plasma does very well in groups of 3. One could also take fusion blasters and plasma together so that each squad can just get up close and personal with 9 low AP shots per squad at the 12 inch range. It works, but it's very risky because if you rail to kill them, you lose your suits in combat the next turn.

Rate of fire can work, but again, it's hard. Luckily, we wound them easily still so forcing lots of saves can be a good thing.

If you mix the two - you can break terminators without breaking your points on suits. I personally have used Stealthsuits and Crisis suits ensemble for this task with very good results. Twin-linked plasma with targetlocks are the configuration I ran, 6 of them. And a squad of 6 Stealthsuits. They all stay together and at the 18~24 inch range, we have enough low AP to force a few deaths and enough rate of fire to force enough saves on the rest. Typically the 6 plasma rifles are enough for each terminator squad because you'll kill 3 or 4 of them at 24 inches (sometimes 4 to 5). That's generally the entire squad, unless they've at 6 models, where the stealthsuits can drop the remaining 1 or 2 terminators relatively easily.

It really comes down to not relying on a single squad to do it. You need to have two squad working together. Kroot actually can be effective en mass. You have plenty of other more important targets for them to worry about as it is. But 40 rapidfire shots, combined with another 24 rapidfire shots from some Firewarriors freshly dropped from a Fish, with a few plasma shots from a Crisis squad can destroy terminators with great success. The more squads you have working together the more good results you'll have.

A mounted force would be fairly safe against Terminators for the quick movement, with plenty of Plasma suits floating about to help "terminate" them. Stealthsuits are also a very nice choice, because when there's only a few terminators left, burst cannons do a very nice job of cleaning up while remaining safe from the other terminator squads that are at distance and cannot spot them. Hammerheads are ok, but really, a single wound over 5 or 6 terminators just isn't going to do it for you. The hammerhead should be removing all bits of armor from the board, then it just hopes to harass terminators. Terminators die from low AP or complete saturation of fire power combined with low AP.

I would highly advise against going for pure rate of fire, because it can work well, but it can also not work at all. Low AP will at least ensure a few deaths and when combined with the volume fire of another squad, you'll effectively be able to kill Terminators. The good news is, he can't have more terminators than you have firewarriors, crisis and stealths! So mount up and stick together and just focus on squad after squad while your hammerheads remove his armor from the field.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Mal: We always get an essay, eh? Very informative! Kudos!

Aquila_XV8: The "easiest" way to get rid of Termies is the main Tau weapon that will deny their saves, Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters...while effecient (just like Mal said) rate of fire is always good too! 8)

I have a 6 man squad of Stealths that are markered in by a 8 man squad of Pathfinders...1-4 models' three shots hitting on 2's? Definatley nasty! Rate of fire does work wonders with Markerlights, but just a warning: don't spend too much time "oogling" over the termies, cause there is a whole are of Smurfs wating for you!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

Okay here is my thoughts on this

Crisis suits- Crisis suits as you probably know are the best unit for killing terminators. Their plasma rifles denie their armor save so its quite easy to kill them. I take a plasma rifle and a missile pod with a multi tracker. Then I give team leaders twin linked plasma rifle with missile pods and a hard wired multi tracker. This combination is death to terminators. However it is not smart to only have twin linked plasm rifles on all of your Crisis suits. You must remember that Terminators are not going to be the only Crisis suits killing priorety. They still need to destroy light vehicles. This is why they have Missile pods. If you equip them only with plasma rifles they will excell at killing terminators and power armor but will suck against most everything else. You need to have at least a two unit killing range such as power armored troops and light vehicles. Now if you want to you could have one Crisis squad for killing only power armored troops with their twin linked plasma rifles, and you could have another with twin linked missile pods to kill light vehicles. The only problem with this is that you may end up having your anti-power armor Crisis squads against their vehicles and your anti-vehicle Crisis squads against their terminators. This will lead to total bad tactics on the Crisis suits whole point and they will be kiled quickly. However if you equip them all with a plasma rifle and a missile pod you will have the ultimate ability to tackle any threath but landraiders. And you don't want to even use your Crisis suits against landraiders as they are best left for the broadsides or hammerheads. Even with fusion blasters you need a six to glance. Thats a to big of risk for about a seventy point model. Lets do the math
above 12"
3 Crisis suits, PR, MP, MT- They will hit 1.5 times with their plasma rifle and 3 times with their missile pod. Then the plasma rifle will wound 1.249 terminators, and the missile pod will wound 2.499 terminators. This will result in 1.247 dead Terminators. So they have a .006 overall rating for killing Terminators/// Now against a vehicle with armor 11. They will hit 1.5 times with their plasma rifle and 3 times with their missile pod. Then the plasma rifle will glance it .4995 times and penetrate it .249 times. The missile pod will glance 1.5 times and penetrate it .999 times This adds to a total of 1.999 chancing hits and a total of 1.248 penetrating hits. Now to destroy it on a glance you will get .665 chance of destroying it. on penetrating it you will have a .624 chance of destroying it. then you get a 1.289 chance to destroy it by glancing or penetrating. They get a .019 overall rating for destroying armor 11 vehicles and a total of .115 for destroying both terminators and armor 11 vehicles.

Under 12"- They will hit 3 times with their plasma rifle and 3 times with their missile pod. Then the plasma rifle will wound 2.499 terminators, and the missile pod will wound 2.499 terminators. This will result in 2.079 dead Terminators. So they have a .031 overall rating for killing Terminators/// Now against a vehicle with armor 11. They will hit 3 times with their plasma rifle and 3 times with their missile pod. Then the plasma rifle will glance it .999 times and penetrate it .498 times. The missile pod will glance 1.5 times and penetrate it .999 times This adds to a total of 2.499 glancing hits and a total of 1.497penetrating hits. Now to destroy it on a glance you will get .832 chance of destroying it. on penetrating it you will have a .748 chance of destroying it. then you get a 1.289 chance to destroy it by glancing or penetrating. They get a .019 overall rating for destroying armor 11 vehicles and a total of .115 for destroying both terminators and armor 11 vehicles.

Now there are two problems with Terminators. One they can deepstrike, teleport , or drop pod in behind your lines. The other problem is if they are mounted in a landraider. I will show you how to tackle each threat.

If they deploy in a Landraider than this has now become one of your top 3 to kills. This needs to be taken out by at least 2-3 railgun shots. Although if you fire 3 shots you will have a better chance of destroying it. If you allow this to live it will charge strait up to you and unload its terminators inside of it. You do not want this to happen. and remeber that landraiders have assualt ramps so they can assualt out of them. When you destroy the landraiser filled with terminators you they will have to take a STR 4 wound. However they still do get their armor save and sometimes they will fail it. Never let a landraider filled with any type of unit near your firing line. Once you destroy it move your Crisis suits out to then attack the terminators with their plasmas. I would say that landraiders filled with terminators are the #1 top priorety.

If they deepstrike this can be a very nasty. I say try to keep a squad of Crisis suitsin the back to watch for deepstriking terminators. However I would try to place them so once the terminators deepstrike in the will not be able to see you. Then next turn you can jump in and plasma them to death. You can also keep Crisis suits in reserve. I did this once and it worked very well. As soon as the opponents Terminators came in I brought in my Crisis suits in reserves right behind them and killed them all. You can also try to screen your units with your hammerhead so they cant assualt your firewarriors. this may result in them attacking your hammerhead with powerfists but against a skimmer they need a 6+ to hit.

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you really want to deal with deepstriking terminators, Commander Farsight is the ultimate "eraser." He can shoot them once with plasma (don't rapid fire) and then charge in & kick some a$$. Of course should any of those termies survive he's liable to be toast... In all seriousness, if deepstriking termies is a problem, an 'el equipped with TL plasma and a FB kept near your lines can put a serious hurt on the average termie squad on the turn they arrive. The biggest threat with DS termies is the Lysander "We all come down on the same turn" termie rush army.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

oddly enough this is what the farsight army is good against, Deathwing and terminator whores

farsight the beast will have fun with them and the rest of his crisis buddies with TL Plas will dent the termies with no problem, but normal Tau can do it too.

I'm more a fan of the Volume approach with Steaths and PF, gives you lots of accurate shots some of which must penetrate the termi's armour, the bonus is it is good against normal marines too.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread