Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Air Burst Frag Launcher versus Cyclonic Ion
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Air Burst Frag Launcher versus Cyclonic Ion

Ok so considdering the option of fielding the limited wargear of an ABFL VS CIB, Ive encountered lots of debate.

Personally I prefer the air burst, given its large template, indirect fire, and range.

Ive heard some people loving the CIB, due to the chance of AP1. But is the gratification for rolling more dice really make this weapon all that since youre just hoping for a yahtzee? Doesnt the large blast template of the ABFL give more models hit anyhow?

Id like to hear some opinions or stories of practical use in games as reference.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Air Burst Frag Launcher versus Cyclonic Ion

On a BS5 suit, the Ion Blaster is about as good as a plasma rifle at taking out TeQ and MeQ (and it also has has the potential to harm T6 MoC's)

The Frag Launcher doesnt use BS, so it would be a waste of good BS to put it on a Shas'O (and maybe even on a Shas'el, although i'm currently running a "support" shas'el as a second commander, with AFP, C&C node and Pos. Relay, in addition to my Ninja'O, for deepstriking a team of Deathrains to take out Basilisks and other indirect fire vehicles)
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abemad
On a BS5 suit, the Ion Blaster is about as good as a plasma rifle at taking out TeQ and MeQ (and it also has has the potential to harm T6 MoC's)

The Frag Launcher doesnt use BS, so it would be a waste of good BS to put it on a Shas'O (and maybe even on a Shas'el, although i'm currently running a "support" shas'el as a second commander, with AFP, C&C node and Pos. Relay, in addition to my Ninja'O, for deepstriking a team of Deathrains to take out Basilisks and other indirect fire vehicles)
Ya I see yer point with the BS being wasted. But the Cyclonic has that ST3 staring at me for any wound roll. If Im shootin at marines or what have you if say I hit 3 out of 5 shots, Im still only wounding so many times after. I know the potential AP1 is nice, but I dont see more wounds happening then a twin linked burst cannon, or am I missing something?

The frag launcher I currently have on a team leader meant for flanking or deep striking back ranks and vulnerable targets of troops. With an indirect fire weapon I can spatter heavy waepons teams and cammand groups from cover. 18 inches plus the radius of the large template gives a lot of targets and models hit. With the rest of the unit armed with twin linked BC for mowing the lawn. Perhaps this is what youre talking about with Ninja'o, but Im dont really get the reference.(?)
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I use mine with a CIB and a Missile pod, and the thing that I really like about the CIB is the fact that it's already AP 4. Combined with the missile pod, that's 7 AP 4 shots from one model. That will just tear through Guard Tau and Eldar infantry, especially if coupled with markerlight support to remove cover saves. As a secondary function, it can harrass light vehicles at range.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use my AFP on a Mon`at Shas`Vre with TL MPs - this way, he is effective at both long ranges and indirect short ranges.

And the CIB is left at home. It is, really, a rather unnecessary weapon imo. Sure, the vast number of shots with AP4 can easily screw up Hordes of IGs and Eldar aspects, but that`s it. Rolling 6s to wound does not happen often enough; I find Plasma Rifles work better, overally, and depend less on luck.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abemad

Ya I see yer point with the BS being wasted. But the Cyclonic has that ST3 staring at me for any wound roll. If Im shootin at marines or what have you if say I hit 3 out of 5 shots, Im still only wounding so many times after. I know the potential AP1 is nice, but I dont see more wounds happening then a twin linked burst cannon, or am I missing something?

The frag launcher I currently have on a team leader meant for flanking or deep striking back ranks and vulnerable targets of troops. With an indirect fire weapon I can spatter heavy waepons teams and cammand groups from cover. 18 inches plus the radius of the large template gives a lot of targets and models hit. With the rest of the unit armed with twin linked BC for mowing the lawn. Perhaps this is what youre talking about with Ninja'o, but Im dont really get the reference.(?)
The difference is, that even though the burst cannon might wound easier (3+ vs 5+), MeQ's and TeQ's get a save against all the shots. (with BS5, thats about 4.2 shots that hit, totaling in about .8 dead marines)
The Ion Blaster, will take out roughly a MeQ og TeQ per turn (with the potential for taking out 5, with a bit of luck ).

A Ninja'O, is just a Shas'O, with Stim. Inj., Thrusters, HW Multitracker, and in my case, Plasma Rifle and Ion Blaster.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Whic leads to the (hopefully) infamous joke i just made up in this split second:

When is a Ninja'O not a Ninja'O?

When he's a Shas'el
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 16:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

right well I get that with good rolling the ion is better then a BC, even twin linked. But you only get one per army, and one air burster per army. on paper the ion looks good, but I wonder if in practice if the air burster wouldnt hit and kill just as much if not more with equal rolls. If youre yahtzee-ing with the ion, you get maybe 5 dead guys. But if you centre a large balst template on a unit and yahtzee youre killing way more arnt you? Even if armor saves are attainable.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 17:20   #9 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I prefer the CIB in both occasions since of the AP1 ability & the amount of shots.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Depends entirely on the situation. Against most enemies, the Cyclic Ion blaster is excellent. I tend to get unnaturally lucky with 6s on the things. Now, if only some of those could be rolled for hitting with railguns.

But there is one ABFP setup I sometimes use, specifically against a few units. It's a Shas'vre, with a TL flamer and an ABFP. It deepstrikes. It is quite possibly the most deadly thing ever when it comes to killing Eldar pathfinders. It's also pretty good against anything else with an armour save of 5+, but it specializes against those annoying snipey fellows.