Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mitigating Morale Mishaps
Closed Thread
Old 14 Apr 2005, 23:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Mitigating Morale Mishaps

There's been a lot of talk lately about Bonding, Ethereals, etc. So I wrote an article on the topic. Check it out!

Thoughts? Comments? Mistakes?

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...bj/morale.html
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 15 Apr 2005, 02:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Mitigating Morale Mishaps

Excellent article.* The only thing I would add is a mention of the Ethereal also allows you to reroll successful morale checks.* That ability can be vital in escaping from close-combat.* If you plan to use an Ethereal in this way, it is also a good idea not to include Shas'ui.* I didn't see it in there, but it is late and I am tired, so please forgive me if I missed something.* Got it. Well written.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 03:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Again, a good discussion on the Ethereal as well as bonding and Shas'ui upgrades.

We actually recently had a big one done, with lots of fun math (though some of us don't need math to tell us just how good it is to have an Ethereal around). It may be worth a look for you too: Click here.

I especially liked that you pointed out that the Ethereal's ability does not extend to pinning tests, as that is mixed up pretty often into the moral check categories (for many armies, not just Tau). One note, is that I think it may be good be redundant that the Ethereal's moral abilities do not apply to Kroot in terms of the statement that he benefits all troops in the Tau army. It can benefit them via granting his leadership upon joining a squad, but generally, that's the only way possible compared to the Tau units (I would consider a distinction between benefiting the troops via his Moral abilities and versus requiring him to join a squad to give them any benefit what-so-ever. This may seem really obvious, but for some new comers, it could be useful for it to be clear cut for them).

I think there was a lot of emphasis on how bad bonding is, compared to the other 2 Morale buffs. Bonding is terrible for some units, but in particular, it can be useful for battlesuits with a long range assault weapon, such as missile pods. I think a few examples of the bad and good would be appropriate to keep from totally shunning something from the codex, especially for new players.

Expansion upon the effects of the Ethereal and multiple units without Shas'ui upgrades and bonding, in depth, I think would be a very good analysis. I have tried it myself with mixed results over many games, and I always find myself taking the Shas'ui upgrade as literally essential. It would be interestting to see just where and in which armies and which situations that it is a good buy to take an Ethereal over the Shas'ui upgrade. Unfortunately, this really only applies to Fire Warriors and not other Tau units (making for an army with probably zero access to the armory via their squad leaders, except for the Ethereal himself or a Commander).

Here's the only mistake that I found (the mistake being the missing "accent grave" that was missing):

Quote:
[sup]"The model is très cool."[/sup]
Nicely written! Another A+ from the Inquisition

[hr]

[sup]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Excellent article. The only thing I would add is a mention of the Ethereal also allows you to reroll successful morale checks. That ability can be vital in escaping from close-combat. If you plan to use an Ethereal in this way, it is also a good idea not to include Shas'ui. I didn't see it in there, but it is late and I am tired, so please forgive me if I missed something.
[/sup]

He did include both of those pieces of information, under the Ethereal heading and the Shas'ui heading portions of the article.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 04:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Quote:
[sup]"The model is très cool."[/sup]
I hope you dont mean the stock Etheral, its horrible, the SE one however is beautiful

Good job Tonka
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 15 Apr 2005, 05:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I think there was a lot of emphasis on how bad bonding is, compared to the other 2 Morale buffs.* Bonding is terrible for some units, but in particular, it can be useful for battlesuits with a long range assault weapon, such as missile pods.* I think a few examples of the bad and good would be appropriate to keep from totally shunning something from the codex, especially for new players.
You're very right, Mal. I generally try to refrain from letting personal opinion seep into my writing (although it's impossible to prevent completely), but I showed some weakness here. I'll go back later and fix it. Although I do want that section to communicate the fact that bonding pretty universally accepted as the "lesser" of the three morale buffs.

Dizzy, this is the model I'm a fan of!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 15 Apr 2005, 05:25   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

That's the one I painted, too. I like him and Aun'shi much better than the other one.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 06:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

right, thast the Stock Etheral, if you get your hands on the SE Etheral I'll be happy to purchase it off you ^-^

honestly I hate that mini the pose just looks really off and the face just isnt consistent with the FW's it should look a bit different for the diff. caste but thats a bit too anorexic for me ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 15 Apr 2005, 07:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nice work. I am putting the finishing touches on a Probability article that will incorporate a lot of the information from the "Probability of passing morale" thread. It ought to be done by this weekend and then will be available on the TO main site.

The problem with bonding is that it's a crappy version of ATSKNF - if you got the auto-regrouping it would be worth the cost but otherwise it just lets an already battered unit stick around a little longer. Coupled with a 'ui and an ethereal it can make for a very tough army to break but it generally doesn't help too much - with static armies it only takes one bad flee roll and you're off the board; with mounted troops, that flee roll puts you out of reach of their DF and pretty much takes them out of action for a couple of turns, if they live that long. I would agree that it makes some sense if you take a trio of XV-88's b/c it can keep that one lone suit on the board, maybe, but that's a real gamble unless you've spent a couple turns moving foward to get away from your table edge. In most cases the ethereal gives you a lot better chance of sticking around.

I use Aun-shi for my ethereal since I think the model looks the coolest. I like the SE ethereal better than the ordinary one.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 14:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It doesn't benefit all troops in my army to have an Ethereal around. You might change it to say "all Tau" just to be more accurate.

Also, Bonding is useful in one important way: Keeping sqauds that have suffered heavy casualties on the table at the end of the game. If they aren't falling back, your opponent doesn't get full points for the unit, and that can mean the difference between a Win and a Draw.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good point AunLa. I mentioned that elsewhere, but forgot to put it in the line you quoted. I'll fix that.

Closed Thread