Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orks is coming!
Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Orks is coming!

I have recently been playing a good friend against his orks, and we are almost dead locked. He wins a game, I win a game and this has gone on for some time. Although I can say when I win, I win by alot more and when he wins it is usually by the skin of his teeth, but still. For example, we just played a game where he won by less than 100 points (this was stung because I had 2 chances to wound his Ghazgul and it didnt work so I didnt get half points for him which would have made it a draw).

His usually strat is simply to get boyz in trukks and bum rush me as fast as he can. I usually ice his trukks and kill alot of his boyz, but those are never worth much. A ton of his points are in a big mek and like I said before, a Ghazgul. I have never failed to kill the Big mek, but he sticks Ghazgul in with about 30 boyz! So it is damn near impossible to wound him, much less kill him. I have come to the conclusion, I NEED TO KILL HIM!! If I dont he gets a Waagh! that lasts 2 turns and they always move 6 for fleet, so his average guys can move further than my vehicles can if they assualt. I kill his trukks and force him to foot slogg, but it still doesnt matter when he has waagh.

What should I do?
Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Orks is coming!

You think 100 points is small? The other week I won by 3pts

But yeah, just keep everything stationary and blast everything (except pathfinders, If you have any) you have at him, and hope that you kill him before he gets to you. Then use your precious markerlights to up your BS, add a -1 Ld, and hopefully bring on some seeker missiles!!! The combination of the three are devastating. Markerlights are not to be underestimated...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

3 points? Would that not be a draw? ???
Old 08 Mar 2008, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

by GW game standards its a draw, but you still have less points and well that sounds like a loss to me.
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 22:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Anyway back on the subject of help..

Maybe try using a mech army, try out running him, splitting your force and going around him, I always had trouble with orks, no matter how many shots you put into them they always get there :P

The only stuff of mine that would live would be my hammerheads..

Oh and awesome avatar ;D

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 08:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Oh and awesome avatar ;D
Oh god, don't get him started again :P

But yeah, a mech army should be quite effective against orks, but remember, only move if he's within 18" of you (If he hasn't called a waaaagh!) and 12" if he's already called it. But remember; Large blast templates are your friends.

[hr]
Sorry to hi-jack, but do you have to roll to wound for instant death? Because nearly everyone I play says that, but I've read the instant death rule, and it says nothing about rolling to wound (If i remember correctly...) And really sorry to appear off topic, but it's not really, because I was thinking about submunition (S8) against Orks (T4) and just realised that it's instant death ;D
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 09:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubgum
[hr]
Sorry to hi-jack, but do you have to roll to wound for instant death? Because nearly everyone I play says that, but I've read the instant death rule, and it says nothing about rolling to wound (If i remember correctly...) And really sorry to appear off topic, but it's not really, because I was thinking about submunition (S8) against Orks (T4) and just realised that it's instant death ;D
1. Submunition is only S6, not S8.
2. Instant Death applies if a wound is inflicted/suffered. (so it only applies if the target was wounded by the weapon normally)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 10:05   #8 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

If you play them, your best options are FW in DF & hammerheads with railguns.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 20:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Stealth suits can be handy for going up against lootas. A big mob of lootas is a scary proespect, especially for your light skimmers and firewarriors. They're something you want to take out if at all possible. By virtue of their infilitration, Stealth suits can always manage to find a place where they can concentrate fire on the deffgun toting lootas. A trio of stealth can dish out almost as much long ranged fire as a team of fire warriors, and due to being able to deploy after the lootas, they can position for maximuim effect.

And due to their speed, stealth suits can shadow behind the ork horde, targeting anything the oppurtunity presents. They're tough and agile enough to survive shooting at them, and they can help to pick of mobs as they close on your line. Or interdict mobs that are extremely dangerous.

Hammerheads, as mentioned, should be able to pretty much wreck big mobs of orks. I'd say 2 hammerheads with SMS(or even just burst cannons) would do a number on a mob a turn.

You definitely may want to look into drone squadrons. Anything mobile can be used to deny victory points from the orks, while killing off as many as possible. And the drones fight better than Tau in close-combat.

Orks are tough, and the fight like crazy. But they rarely have armor saves to speak of. And every ork who is killed is one less swinging at you. Stealth suits and Drones can be used to pile into the back of well shot up mobs.

If you do opt for crisis suits, put missile pods and burst cannons on everything!
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 02:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A mech army should do you well. Use your battlesuits and such to take out his heavy weaponry units such as lootas, TANKBUSTAS, (Capitalized because they're importent), and anything else forming a unit that can damage your vehicles. Once you take out those guys, he'll have very little that can hurt your tanks, let alone catch them for CC... Killer Kahns and Dreadnoughts can't catch you. The only CC units that really could would be Nobz with Waaggh! and powerklaws. And even then, they only hit on 6+... However, with this army, you have to remember that the basic Boyz units can contain 2 Rokkit Launchas, (I think,) and can be hard to kill before they get within firing range when they're stuck in with a 30 boy unit!
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote