Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new to Tau: extremely mobile hybrid list
Old 08 Mar 2008, 06:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Location: Loading the mega uber flaming death cannon of doom and destruction...
Default new to Tau: extremely mobile hybrid list

hey guys,

I was given the oppurtunity to take over somes Tau army, conviently with a black colour scheme and dirt cheap price. I don't really hold much for 40k, but after reading the tactica on the GW website, either Tau or eldar (dark included) are my playing style. I prefer Tau now after having looked at the awesome models, and have started to collect in earnest....

My list is based on being as extremely tactical as possible, using my years of playing fantasy to influence my playing style. Tau are essentially fast cav with big guns in disguise, and playing them as such has paid off highly in the three or four games I have played thus far...

SO

would like an assessment on my proposed army style. No lists or points or anything just yet, will try get the army book here as i'm away from home...

Well i will try have a commander with some big guns and that item that allows crisis suits to deep strike on a 2+ once per battle. This will be used to deliver the big guns to the heart of the battle quickly. The other commander will be an ethereal, bringing stablilty to my central battle line, around with the faster units move and shoot. his bodyguard, when combined with markerlighets and pulse carbine death, will reap great scores of wounds and pinning tests all round... (does the bodyguard count as a troop choice?) two fire bases of fire warriors will be my central line, with one of them possibly being in a devilfish, or maybe a unit of pathfinders. I also have a small unit of meat shields i mean kroot. I intend to squeeze as many markerlights into this army as possbile. My elites a obviously a unit of crisis suits with big guns and shield drones, and two units of stealth suits, which are the most awesome unit in the game for me! They will carry marker drones too...

Fast attack is taken up by a pihrana but i want to include vespids. They fit in with the fast style of my army and look awesome, plus thier guns are SICK!

My heavy support is a hammerhead, with the gear that allows it to move as fast and to move through terrain... U have no idea the destructive power of this super heavy tank when used like a skimmer... All my vehicals will be equiped thus. I would maybe like to include a sky ray, since i have so many marker lights, and my theory concerning them is they can obliterate one thing utterly by firing its full salvo (one at a time of course). Monolith, demons, wraithlords hivetyrants etc will all eventually fally after 6 str 8 missiles come thier way...you cannot hide!

Please tell me what u think, and what I should include...

Squidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: new to Tau: extremely mobile hybrid list

Your army is fast, but I fear that if you faced an army of massed low end fire power (Imperial Guard or Orks who get lucky) you may not have enough template weapons and multi-shot weapons to get them all before they get you. You have alot of elite killing weapons, space marines, chaos and necrons would get waisted but an Eldar player who knew what he was doing could be faster than you and an Ork player with enough trukks could close the distance pretty fast and assault your lines.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

interesting about the tmeplate weapons.... i think in those situations, i would fire at their fast attack stuffs first, and open up sub munitions on the swarmed guys. maybe a fragmentation grenade laucher could do well too...

Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mount your firewarriors in a devilfish, definitely if you want speed. Do you face tanks or not?
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 16:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Your army composition sounds similar to mine. Around 2000 points I try to field two static units of FWs with Markerlights and two Devilfish mounted squads for FoF attacks. If you're going for as mobile a hybrid list as possible, I'd suggest trying Tetras instead of Pathfinders. I've not had the opportunity to use my Tetras yet (as they just came in the mail and have yet to be assembled. First Forge World models for me WOOOO!! ;D) but they come highly recommended from the more seasoned veterans here on TO. Those same veterans tend to think ill of Ethereals and again, since I've never used any I can provide no insight of my own, but I'd suggest reading some of their many tacticas floating around here. The Hammerhead (specifically the Railhead variety) is fantastic, but with only one shot from the main gun it is an all-or-nothing proposition. You may want to make Broadsides part of your static fire base - they can soak up a fair bit of abuse and the TL railguns are perfect in an anti-tank roll while the SMS is excellent for any infantry that gets close. Best to use the Railhead for it's sub munition and/or to get around to the side armor on more stubborn tanks. And yeah, coupled with a multi-tracker and decoy launchers Hammerheads are scary resilient. My Railhead recently weathered a great deal of fire from a pair of Baneblades, and though it only had a single burst cannon left on it, it was still in the fight. Oh, and seekers against Monoliths (and Land Raiders for that matter) are a waste of time and points - you'll need to roll sixes just to glance the thing. That's a job best to the Broadsides or Railhead.
Old 09 Mar 2008, 05:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey Squidar. Sounds like you've got it all planned out!

Just a few tips though. First being that 40k can be a very different game than Fantasy and approaching it with the same mind set as Fantasy might not be the best idea. From the way you described the type of army you want to play you're not going to be playing a straight up fight against your enemy. The main goal of this kind of army wouldn't so much be destroying the other player (even though you will), it'll be denying your enemy any targets.

Deepstriking your crisis into the main part of the fighting might not be the best idea. Their stat line may look tough but they can get ripped to shreds by small arms fire in a hurry. In Fantasy a models toughness counts for a lot, but in 40k its all about armour saves, and most army's will be able to overwhelm a three man crisis team in a hurry.

With that said, the strength of a weapon or the toughness of a troop doesn't matter much if the enemy has a low AP weapon or a low armour save. Also, I can't see the str 8 missiles on the sky ray putting a dent in a land raider or a monolith. You need more rail guns in this set up. Maybe add a broadside or two to your fire warrior fire base or even take another hammer head.

Also, I'd advise against the ethereal. If that guy goes down the whole army has to take morale checks, and tau have mediocre leadership so you don't want your whole army falling back off the table!

Those are just a few tips for what you've said, when you get more specific about your army it'll be easier to give advice.
Old 09 Mar 2008, 07:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hm thanks for the advice about the sky ray... Broadsides do seem like a better option for the static firebase.... Must look into getting some of these beasties... About the fantasy 40k thing, i'm using the tactics involced in fantasy as opposed to what u guys suggested. Loaded flanks, bait and flee, fast cav type movements are what i'm aiming at... The hammerhead is awesome for submunitions, i consider it the main firing mode instead of single shot. Whats that mr marine that i just led out into the open...insta killed... aww....my cold alien heart beats lumpy custard for you...hehehehe...

What about Vespid?

Old 10 Mar 2008, 05:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

How are you planning on insta killing a space marine with a submunition?

The vespid are extremely fast but also extremely weak. I wouldn't count on them living for very long, they're sort of a one hit wonder.