Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need Help against Dark Eldar
Old 07 Mar 2008, 14:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need Help against Dark Eldar

OK so I have gone up against a few variants of my opponents Dark Eldar army and have failed miserably.

I do see that they are very squishy, but they are so fast I have no time to shoot them down. Up to know I have tried my usually tactics:
1 HQ Shas'el with Plasma, Missile Pod and Multi
1 or 2 Elite (Usually 1 squad of Stealth and 1 Xv8 with different setups)
2 squads of FW (10 each including a Ui)
One of the squads usually has a DF
Some Heavy if permitted. 1 IonHead and 1 Broadside
Sometimes some pathfinders(but those I can see are wasted most of the time)

He likes to use the Portal wargear and Mandrakes. He also usually gets raider squads and Jetbikes. He has some heavies but he doesn't field them since he know how strong my guns are. He goes for speed and usually works every time

I was thinking of trying to build a army to max out my available organisation chart. Splitting up my FW teams and getting some Drones in there instead of the pathfinders. Maybe use my sniper drone team in heavy

I have 30 FW, 12 Kroot, 1 Krootox, 1 DF, 1 HH (convertable to DF), 1 un-assembled Skyray(will setup for optional DF an HH), 1 sniper drone team, 2 broadsides, 6 stealth suits, 5 XV8 (magnets allow all options), 1 commander (un-assembled), 1 vespid stingwing (un-assembled), 1 ethereal

we are not too strict on proxy (don't exaggerate) and fully open to un-visible options.

Any pointers would help

Thanks
Eruannaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 15:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Need Help against Dark Eldar

Alright, a couple of starters:

-Stealth Suits are next to useless against Dark Eldar - their short range means they can be easily caught in CC.

-Tanks with SMS are your best friend. Including a 12" move, you have an attack range of 36", which ignores terrain. Since his transports are all AV10, you have a realistic chance to stun/destroy one of them. And a destroyed Raider is a good Raider.

-Missile Pods are your friend.

I`ve run a full Mech list against DE with some success (mind you, it was only one game), so that`s basically all I`ve found out.

Maybe you should ask directly at the DE board - they usually give sound advice there (at least they did so with me when I went there and asked a similar question ).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 15:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well you do need some weapons for dealing with a horde army burst cannons are al right if used right If he has wychs with a goblet of spite flechette is a must on all tanks as then you wound he automaticatly on 4+ so his wyches hit on 3+ then you wound him on a 4+ try passing that many saves of 6
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

Try to position yourself to be able to shoot down his transports. If you can cripple his speed then you have a good chance of beating him. Pay attention to firing lanes and if his skimmers are floating above terrain. Any weapon you carry can take down his transports so make use of them. The mandrakes are a thorn in your side because you cant to crap to them until they are too close for comfort. I havent played mandrakes so I dont know what to do against them exactly. They have the same stats as a basic warrior and more than likely he will get into assault with them so be prepared with some kroot for a counter assault. I think about every weapon you carry will deny most of his units a save except if he runs an Archon and Incubi. For them, take down their skimmer (if they are in one) and unload on them with low ap weapons. DE are a tough army to beat when your not geared for CC so take advantage of their weaknesses, low strength and toughness, crap armor save and without transports they arent as fast. It also depends on how cover is laid out. You will have to pay attention each time you two play and adapt to his tactics.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

killing the raiders is key, and staying clear of dark lances. Missle pod and seeker the raiders and make him walk. Remember that seekers hit the side if the vehicle that the marker light hits. So if you can marker weaker armor facings youre that much further ahead of you can. Fusion guns from suits or pirhanas that pincer his charging carriers could work too.

Old 07 Mar 2008, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm still new to Tau, but I'd say go all Mech, or a hybrid mech list where you still use your broadsides. They are such a tasty target for your opponent, you gotta entrench them in some cover so he has to pry em out with CC. When his transports are in range SMS the crap out him, or maybe take marker drones with your broadsides, pop approaching raiders with seekers and then SMS the crap out of his squishy units.

Thats what I love about tau, i think they play more like a 21st century army than any other race in 40k, which means it doesn't take too much imagination for me to come up with on the fly strategies.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 19:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I'd advise spreading out your forces atleast 7" apart so he can't leap from one fight to the next. I figure about 2-3 rounds of shooting will be enough to wipe a squad from the field(almost completely), so that'll help.

Position your Fire Warriors in terrain so if he brings bikes, he has a Dangerous Terrain to look forward to, and if they're foot-sloggers, they have a Difficult Terrain.

I personally like the Stealth Suits as DS-bombs. If you can get them to DS near a target which has been markerlighted, they have a good chance to do some damage. Meanwhile, as has been mentioned prior, take down their transports as soon as you can! A squad in a crashed raider is a very sad squad indeed.

I think either 1xRailhead(pie plate), 1xIonhead or 2xIonheads are what would be best. Use some Kroot to infiltrate where they can be used as a pill-box, or hit a flank. Crisis Suits are going to be very nice with TLMP's. IIRC, DE have a high points/model, so any extra shots are going to be very nice(and the raider is Open-topped, so even when it moves fast, you have roughly 50/50 to destroy it).
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 20:58   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks guys, what do you think about me reducing the # of FW in a squad and having more squads instead?
Eruannaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 09:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruannaon
Thanks guys, what do you think about me reducing the # of FW in a squad and having more squads instead?
I usually keep my FW squad strength somewhere between seven and nine, anything below seven (see: six.) is much to easy to get rid of (a 7 man unit is normally only used as a markerlight backup in my case, not strong enough for a line holder due to lack of durability.), and anything over nine tends to get unwieldy for what I use mine for. That all being said, I've used 2-3 supporting teams of eight firewarriors per team to great success, as they've got some relative durability and are able to put out a viable amount of fire.

You may want to try the 3x eight man team (usually with 'ui w/ markerlight/bonding/sometimes HW target lock in my case. I like buried markerlights in FW squads.) sometime in a trial run to see if it fits you.

Oh, and keep a respectable distance between the squads. Most Tau players know what happens when someone gets into CC with a squad of 'em (under normal circumstances, meaning not counting "Ninja'ui" moments): The firewarriors get killed and the CC squad attempts to consolidate into another squad. If you're lucky, they trip over a corpse and you're free to blast them to bits. If you're not, you may be in for a major problem. Now take this, give it fleet, good CC skills and quite possibly a nasty special close combat weapon of some sort, and you've got Dark Eldar in CC with Tau. Not pretty.

Quote:
Well you do need some weapons for dealing with a horde army burst cannons are al right if used right If he has wychs with a goblet of spite flechette is a must on all tanks as then you wound he automaticatly on 4+ so his wyches hit on 3+ then you wound him on a 4+ try passing that many saves of 6
I'm not even going to start with what's wrong with this post. I'm not a mod, nor do I claim to be, but I'm sure that there are some forum/moral/mortal rules/values/sins being broken/committed there. Spell Check and various punctuation marks are your friend. No offense intended at all, especially if English is not your primary language, but I honestly had to read that multiple times to get it.
Looking back, I I seldom remember seeing many, if any periods in your posts. I'm not trying to be snide about this, but they greatly enhance the legibility of a sentence. Not attempting to yell at you at all, just a suggestion.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 09:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

You're sort of lucky, in a fashion. If he runs webways, at least you don't have his full army out at once. Just shoot the raiders and slow down his army however you can. It's not even like you need high strenght weapons against raiders with their 10 armor all around.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote