Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-air?
Old 06 Mar 2008, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Anti-air?

What's with the Skyray in the Taros campaign? It's supposed to be the Tau's anti-air unit, but it's pretty terrible! With the "extra 12 inch rule" its AA markerlights have a 24 inch range against flyers, and it runs out of ammo pretty quickly. It's also far less inaccurate than the Hydra flak tank. Everyone else has far superior anti-air weapons for Apocalypse. Or am I missing something?
Old 07 Mar 2008, 02:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Anti-air?

missile pod ahoy?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 02:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
What's with the Skyray in the Taros campaign? It's supposed to be the Tau's anti-air unit, but it's pretty terrible! With the "extra 12 inch rule" its AA markerlights have a 24 inch range against flyers, and it runs out of ammo pretty quickly. It's also far less inaccurate than the Hydra flak tank. Everyone else has far superior anti-air weapons for Apocalypse. Or am I missing something?
Under the old rules(until the errata), the skyray was an absolute best for anti-air. You could give it the AA upgrade, hit them on threes with the markerlights, and then hit on twos with the seekers. It was later changed to hitting on fours with the seekers, until it became what it is today. Wich is to say, a seeker rack.

Imperial armour made the skyray an awesome anti-air choice, I'm still not a big fan of the current rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 03:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait, could someone just do a quick bare-bone compare between IA:3 and Apoc or w/e?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 06:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
Under the old rules(until the errata), the skyray was an absolute best for anti-air. You could give it the AA upgrade, hit them on threes with the markerlights, and then hit on twos with the seekers. It was later changed to hitting on fours with the seekers, until it became what it is today. Wich is to say, a seeker rack.

Imperial armour made the skyray an awesome anti-air choice, I'm still not a big fan of the current rules.
Even back then when the Seekers still hit at 2+, the Skyray had an effective range of 36" - 24 with the Markers (shooting at flyers, remember), and 12" movement - not THAT good.
After the upgrade, it was completely useless - missiles only hitting on a 4+ ruined its effectiveness, and you most probably needed something like 4 missiles to down a single flyer - so, basically, you were paying about 200 points for a Heavy Support Tank (normal 40K, remember), which, if you were lucky and the opposing player dumb enough to let his flyer into 36" around it), would down ONE flyer.

The best Tau have in Anti-air are Seekers as they are now, couple with Markers (I don`t know if the Remora Lights are AA... would be nifty), other flyers or Deathrains (in a pinch Broadsides).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 06:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

can you not markerlight with pathfinders to tag those flyers?
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 06:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

of course- just with the -12 inches to hit and their seekers would still hit on a 2+ but would only glance. I don't know what anyone here has a problem with, the Tau have some of the best Anti Air in the game.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 07:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's what I was wondering. If a unit of P-funks nails a target with lights, then the Skyray can open up with a bevy of S8 hits. And most flyers have crap-all for armor.

BOOM!
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 07:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerjigormDeExile
can you not markerlight with pathfinders to tag those flyers?
Problem is, the enemy needs to be stupid enough to place his Flyer in 24" around your Pathfinders...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 08:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Bah, enough missile pods can shoot aircraft down,
My leman russ exterminaor (twin autocannon) was brilliant at shootong down thunderbolts ;D

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote