Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Against Marines, SoBs, Necrons and anything else with 3+ saves...
Old 05 Mar 2008, 17:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Tanyos
Default Against Marines, SoBs, Necrons and anything else with 3+ saves...

What would be the most effective arrangements for my Crisis Suits? Should I just rely on heavy twin linked plasma?
O_o
o_O
O_O
Tanyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2008, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Against Marines, SoBs, Necrons and anything else with 3+ saves...

Plasma is awfully expensive. I prefer to equip my suits with Missile Pods, at least against Marines, for killing Landspeeders and Rhinos, and just use my Fire Warriors, Sniper Drones, and Ion Cannons to take care of the troops.

In larger games, when I can afford to spend a few extra points, I do take anti-marine squads of suits. Usually a Shas'vre with a Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, targeting array, HW multitracker, and a shield drone or two partnered with one or two Shas'uis with TL plasma guns and targeting arrays. It ain't a cheap squad, though. Fire-knives are a couple points cheaper, but they're far less accurate.

Actually, I believe that Mathhammer shows that Burst Cannons are the most efficient for anti-marine... or something.
Old 05 Mar 2008, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I just use ion cannons.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2008, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Plasma, Fusion and Missile Pods. Flamers arn't bad either, if you get up close. Some examples of the numbers(i.e. kills per shot on a Marine Equivilent(or MEQ))
Plasma Rifle: .415
Twin-linked Plasma Rifle: .622
Fusion Blaster: .415
Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster: .622
Missile Pod: .139
Twin-Linked Missile Pod: .205
Burst Cannon: .109
Twin-Linked burst Cannon: .163
Flamer: .165(per model under template)
Twin-Linked Flamer: .247(per model under template)

Plasma rifles and fusion blasters have the best return. Plasma rifles can fire at longer range, and at the same range as a fusion blaster, have two shots. Missile pods have the longest range, and two shots at full range, so have almost as good performance, and don't require you getting into dangerous death range to really do wonders(because a misisle pod CAN kill 2 marines a turn, while a non rapid-fire plasma rifle can only kill 1). Flamers can be used close-up, and if you get enough hits, can work really well. Burst cannons work effectively(out of 3 shots, you should see a failure).

All these numbers can be boosted by markerlights(it's assumed BS3 in my calculations).

Generally, the best bet is Plasma and Missile Pods. If you expect Terminators, or want more oomph close up, get a fusion blaster.

However, there's something to be said for a 41pt Heatwave. A unit of three costs only 123pts, and drops 3 flame templates down and has Shield gens for extra survival. Throw a team leader /w bonding knife and two shield drones and you're looking at a modest 163pt team, that can deliever alot of short ranged fire power.

That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2008, 18:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wait, why would fusion blasters be better against termies? If I recall correctly plasma rifles ignore their armor and I would get two shots no? So what is the fusion blaster's advantage vs. terminators?
O_o
o_O
O_O
Old 05 Mar 2008, 18:55   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Fusion Blasters alone don't have an advantage against Terminators over Plasma Rifles. But they do give you a few more options that make them preferable over just twin-linked Plasma Rifles. Personally, I still like the Plasma Rifle - Missile Pod combo for general-purpose suits, since Fusion Blasters can now be fit in elsewhere and Missile Pods give you shots when moving towards a distant target.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You have to remember that 24 pulse shots have about the same kill count as 3 Crisis suits with TL plasma rifles, for the about the same cost! (24 shots, 12 hit, 8 wound, 2.66 kills vs 3 shots, 2.25 hits, 1.875 wounds and 1.875 kills) As you can see mass fire can be just as effective at taking MEQ/TEQ's down as a few AP 2 shots!

I usually run the stereotypical Fireknife patern. It actually has a higher kill rate against MEQ's then the TL Plasma config, (.6866 vs. .6333 chance of kill against tactical marine,) as well as great range and capability against tanks.

In my 2,000 pt mech Tau army, my only anti-MEQ/TEQ weaponry consists of 4 fireknife crisis suits and an Ionhead. In an army such as Eldar where there are only a few MEQ's, I use these units to hunt them down. Against armies consisting primarily of MEQ's, they simply add a punch to the massed fire of my Warfish, Stealth and Firewarrior squads.

Hope this helped, and welcome to the Greater Good. 8)
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 08:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Twinlinked Plasma Rifle is best at BS3
Twinlinked Plasma Rifle and Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster are equal at BS4
Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster is best at BS5.

The Fusion Blaster has the added benefit of instant killing HQs.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 09:15   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tauruler1

With my army, Shas'el Dal'yth (Powerful Firewarriors of Dal'yth) I often found that having a Crisis Suit armed with a missile pod, a plasma rifle and a multi-target device can unleash some butt-whooping chaos but I only have one so my track record against Space marines isn't good.
Old 06 Mar 2008, 14:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Uhhh...what does MEQ and TEQ mean?

Maybe I'll configure some suits with plasma and fusion tonight for commander slaying purposes.
Thanks guys.
O_o
o_O
O_O